Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those against trading down...look with an open mind
So I know many are not fans of trading down and I respect that stance however, this is a great year to trade down and build a very solid core on both sides of the ball. This was a simulator from PFN so it is not me just selecting who I like but choosing from who is available. So while the draft may not fall like this it does show potential that can happen to a degree.

So going with the information that the Bengals are set on Jonah Williams at LT this is how I proceeded with the draft. I did not intend trade down as far as I did but I liked the proposals made and I think the draft would help this team dramatically. Washington offered the 19th, 51st, 82nd, and a 2022 second round selection. At 19 the Bucs offered the 32nd and 64th selections.

Round 1 - 32nd Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.0J5pZq8n5H0WFMneZAi0oQHaEK&pid...=304&h=172]

Teven Jenkins - OT - Oklahoma State - 6'6" 320

Jenkins is a mauler who plays with nasty demeanor and looks to finish every down with the defender on his back. Extremely strong at the position and many times can rely on pure strength if out of position. Technically sound player that should be able to step in day 1 at RT and be an instant and significant upgrade. Watched more film of this guy and his defender is never a factor in the play.

Round 2 - 38th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.iVxUg-2CRuuvsYk39qEArAHaE8&pid...=251&h=168]

Creed Humphrey - C - Oklahoma - 6'5" 312

Ohio product returns home as arguably the best pure center prospect in the draft. Wrestling background contributes to his core strength. Not overly athletic but his football IQ and technical soundness more than make up for this slight fault. Creed brings an entire list of intangibles to the position and is a absolute leader as well as outstanding player. Should step into the day 1 starting center position leaving Hopkins to battle for a guard position if 100% following surgery.

Round 2 - 51st Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.I-Jzxxqi1o1wiXduv5KbYQHaE8&pid...=265&h=178]

Daviyon Nixon - DT - Iowa - 6'3" 305

I personally think Nixon is the most underrated DT in the draft. It is no secret that Geno is a shell of what he was pre-injury and it is time to move on as the production is not matching the salary. Nixon eases that pain. Nixon brings a very similar game to that of Geno only with a larger frame in doing it. Described by evaluators as having violent hands and when you watch him play can see it. Very close to elite speed and movement at the position and several state he is not close to a finished product at this point. Should be a great compliment next to DJ Reader.

Round 2 - 64th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.IEYBO3Nr-f8I6PsToTg0mwHaEK&pid...=288&h=163]

Brevin Jordan - TE - Miami(Fla.) - 6'3" 245

While the buzz is all about Pitts, Jordan is no slouch and while he is not an outstanding blocker he is much better in this area than Pitts. Much of the issue with Jordan in blocking comes down to technique as he is willing in the role. Was a Mackey finalist and has shown to be very effective after the catch. May not be a day 1 starter but he is a guy that should be a compliment to the starting TE and will create mismatch issues on passing downs.

Round 3 - 69th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.dcAlI3QlqaYwNv7wLfL75AHaE8&pid...=239&h=160]

Patrick Jones - DE - Pitt - 6'5" 264

One of the more experienced and productive pass rushers in this draft class. Jones comes off the edge with power, explosiveness, and is a high motor player. Good length and strength at the position and should contribute from day 1. If Lawson in fact returns then Jones will be a great compliment to him and Hubbard. If Lawson does not return then this selection looms large for this defense.

Round 3 - 82nd Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.UB73MzfkPlsDGqtI7b3oYwHaEK&pid...=279&h=158]

Nico Collins - WR - Michigan - 6'4" 215

While most would liked to have had a receiver before now, I personally like our existing receivers and saw more value at other positions with players available to this point. With that said I would be elated with Collins at this point in the draft. Big, strong receiver that knows what it means to play in a physical conference. Has adequate play speed and while not a burner has been a very productive player at the collegiate level. Understand the position and how to utilize his frame. Won't be a day 1 starter but should be a productive part of this receiving group and a welcome addition.

Round 4 - 111th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.UZab6s2G_B6ikRSpSqKYsgHaE7&pid...=252&h=169]

Paulson Adebo - CB - Stanford - 6'1" 190

Like Nixon at DT I believe Adebo is one of the more underrated corners in the draft. His one knock has been inconsistency but he is a smart player that has proved to coachable. Brings the size speed and fluid movement you look for at the position just needs to put it all together as a consistent package. A welcome young addition to the defensive backfield.

Round 5 - 149th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.yIcK0qwBp4KqiN4FupNqLwHaE8&pid...=235&h=158]

Marvin Wilson - DT - Florida State - 6'5" 305

Wilson is a rather complete player at the DT position who will be outstanding depth for the interior D line. Should be able to play at the  1 or 3 technique and gives this team quality depth that has been sorely lacking. It is noted that he brings outstanding work ethic as well as having excellent intangibles. I really like this late selection.

Round 6 - 189th Overall

[Image: th?id=OIP.k549tS9pJswuP3Yv5V-c5AHaE8&pid...=253&h=170]

Alaric Jackson - T/G - Iowa - 6'6" 318

Iowa is known for producing technically outstanding O linemen and Jackson continue this streak. Lined up at LT for Iowa but does not have the athleticism or movement for the position at the NFL level. Could probably turn into a starting RT and would make for great depth injury at the position. However, he looks to be a player that can make the transition to guard at the NFL level. I honestly see Jackson competing for a starting guard position especially if Hopkins is not ready to go from surgery.

Round 7 - 231st Overall

Jose Borregales - K - Miami (Fla.)

Should be inserted as the kicker day 1 of camp. Big leg and has been highly accurate from long range.

Round 7 - 233rd Overall

Olijah Griffin - CB - USC

Griffin has had medical issues but if he clears a physical then he could be a steal. Brings high quality traits to the position and if healthy could certainly sneak onto the back end of this roster.
Reply/Quote
Excellent work on the part of the trade back and accumulate picks strategy. Only pick that puzzles me is TE. Seems to me that everyone wants to project a pass catching TE to the Bengals, like it's somehow going to inspire Zac Taylor to change his offensive philosophy.

What I think, is that if you swapped your order of picking TE and CB, it might look a bit closer to what the Bengals might actually do, if they opted to trade all the way back to pick 32.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Need a burner at WR we already have enough big bodied WR's who have a hard time getting open now as it is. Way to many WR's with spped to burn in this draft not to take one.
Reply/Quote
I agree with trading down if Sewell isn't there so preaching to the choir on that one.

With our FA so far in getting Corners and a good edge I like the Draft a lot but have to agree with Pulses that we need a
burner rather than another big bodied Receiver like Nico. Very good Draft though overall. Just want a Jaelon Darden type
at WR. Agree on Nixon, one of my favorite 3-techs to replace Geno besides Oda.

Another great mock OSUfan. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 07:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Excellent work on the part of the trade back and accumulate picks strategy.  Only pick that puzzles me is TE.  Seems to me that everyone wants to project a pass catching TE to the Bengals, like it's somehow going to inspire Zac Taylor to change his offensive philosophy.

What I think, is that if you swapped your order of picking TE and CB, it might look a bit closer to what the Bengals might actually do, if they opted to trade all the way back to pick 32.

It was not really about a pass catching TE as much as it was the value at the point of selection. Jordan is one heck of a weapon at that point in the draft and one that creates mismatches. With an arm like Burrow you can never have too many weapons and the versatility Jordan brings does not require a change in philosophy for Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2021, 07:13 PM)pulses Wrote: Need a burner at WR we already have enough big bodied WR's who have a hard time getting open now as it is. Way to many WR's with spped to burn in this draft not to take one.

Speed to burn? Like Ross? We have one big bodied receiver in Tate that really sees the field so not sure who you are speaking of as Boyd and Higgins do not seem to suffer from the getting open issue that you speak of and Tate just needs the ball throw in the same zip code and he will take it away from anyone that challenges for it.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 09:34 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It was not really about a pass catching TE as much as it was the value at the point of selection. Jordan is one heck of a weapon at that point in the draft and one that creates mismatches. With an arm like Burrow you can never have too many weapons and the versatility Jordan brings does not require a change in philosophy for Taylor.

Agreed on getting a pass catching TE, just cause Taylor hasn't used them much doesn't dissuade me from looking at the NFL 
around us. At least we would have the weapon in case Taylor keeps on sucking for the next HC and for Burrow.

Brevin Jordan is a great pick in the mid to late 2nd IMO.

(03-16-2021, 09:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Speed to burn? Like Ross? We have one big bodied receiver in Tate that really sees the field so not sure who you are speaking of as Boyd and Higgins do not seem to suffer from the getting open issue that you speak of and Tate just needs the ball throw in the same zip code and he will take it away from anyone that challenges for it.

Tee is 6'4" and Boyd is 6'3", we are big, we need some speedsters. Ross just didn't have it mentally so he wasn't the speed we 
needed and he dropped the ball. We cannot stray away from speedsters just cause Ross didn't work out.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 09:37 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Speed to burn? Like Ross? We have one big bodied receiver in Tate that really sees the field so not sure who you are speaking of as Boyd and Higgins do not seem to suffer from the getting open issue that you speak of and Tate just needs the ball throw in the same zip code and he will take it away from anyone that challenges for it.

I wish just going to say, how does Higgins and Boyd struggle to get open? 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed on getting a pass catching TE, just cause Taylor hasn't used them much doesn't dissuade me from looking at the NFL 
around us. At least we would have the weapon in case Taylor keeps on sucking for the next HC and for Burrow.

Tee is 6'4" and Boyd is 6'3", we are big, we need some speedsters. Ross just didn't have it mentally so he wasn't the speed we 
needed and he dropped the ball. We cannot stray away from speedsters just cause Ross didn't work out.

Boyd isn’t 6’3. He measured in a 6’1.5 at the combine. Speed is pretty overrated when it comes to pro football. Every single one of these guys are fast, and you need more than speed to be effective. It is why guys like Ross, Mecole Hardman, Ted Ginn, Heyward-Bey, and a whole host of other receivers weren’t world betters. Short area quickness, footwork and route running are significantly more important than speed.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Boyd isn’t 6’3. He measured in a 6’1.5 at the combine. Speed is pretty overrated when it comes to pro football. Every single one of these guys are fast, and you need more than speed to be effective. It is why guys like Ross, Mecole Hardman, Ted Ginn, Heyward-Bey, and a whole host of other receivers weren’t world betters. Short area quickness, footwork and route running are significantly more important than speed.

Boyd looks bigger than that and I remember him being listed at 6'3". Maybe I am mistaken.

Hardman is a bad example, that guy makes plays everytime I watch KC. Just saying there are a lot of speedsters in this Draft we 
shouldn't overlook just cause they are smaller. Just like we shouldn't draft a guy simply for his size.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Boyd looks bigger than that and I remember him being listed at 6'3". Maybe I am mistaken.

Hardman is a bad example, that guy makes plays everytime I watch KC. Just saying there are a lot of speedsters in this Draft we 
shouldn't overlook just cause they are smaller. Just like we shouldn't draft a guy simply for his size.

Is Hardman a bad example? He hasn’t had more than 560 yards in a season and is playing with the most physically gifted QB in NFL history with one of the best offensive minds in the modern NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:29 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Is Hardman a bad example? He hasn’t had more than 560 yards in a season and is playing with the most physically gifted QB in NFL history with one of the best offensive minds in the modern NFL.

This surprises me. Weird, he just make plays when I watch him lol
Reply/Quote

What I meant to say is we already have enough WR's who are not real fast. We need someone who can get down field and take the top off the defense and be a homerun threat but also be able to run a route tree. Their has been MANY games we have lost because our WR's could not get open. Ross was an accident waiting to happen when we drafted him and was overrated to begin with. WR's like Tylan Wallace and Dyami Brown and Elijah Moore and some others have produced better and are more ready than Ross was. I personally like Tylan Wallace a lot and he would be great in our offense. He plays much bigger than he is and he makes contested catches look routine all the time. He has what we are missing in our offense.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed on getting a pass catching TE, just cause Taylor hasn't used them much doesn't dissuade me from looking at the NFL 

I guess I question what a speedster is as Boyd and Higgins show no inability to separate and out run defenders in the open field as well as get behind defenses. I will always takes guys such as that with functional football speed over a small scat type receiver.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Boyd isn’t 6’3. He measured in a 6’1.5 at the combine. Speed is pretty overrated when it comes to pro football. Every single one of these guys are fast, and you need more than speed to be effective. It is why guys like Ross, Mecole Hardman, Ted Ginn, Heyward-Bey, and a whole host of other receivers weren’t world betters. Short area quickness, footwork and route running are significantly more important than speed.

Excellent assessment!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 12:05 AM)pulses Wrote: What I meant to say is we already have enough WR's who are not real fast. We need someone who can get down field and take the top off the defense and be a homerun threat but also be able to run a route tree. Their has been MANY games we have lost because our WR's could not get open. Ross was an accident waiting to happen when we drafted him and was overrated to begin with. WR's like Tylan Wallace and Dyami Brown and Elijah Moore and some others have produced better and are more ready than Ross was. I personally like Tylan Wallace a lot and he would be great in our offense. He plays much bigger than he is and he makes contested catches look routine all the time. He has what we are missing in our offense.

Get down field, take the top off of a defense, and run an entire route tree. You just described Boyd and Higgins. You described complete receivers and that is exactly what these two guys are.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 04:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Get down field, take the top off of a defense, and run an entire route tree. You just described Boyd and Higgins. You described complete receivers and that is exactly what these two guys are.

You need more than 2 WR's on a team who can do that. Higgins and Boyd are not burners BTW. 4.55 and 4.6 is not what i'm talking about.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 04:04 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Get down field, take the top off of a defense, and run an entire route tree. You just described Boyd and Higgins. You described complete receivers and that is exactly what these two guys are.

And on top of that let's be honest Boyd doesn't run a whole route tree. He's a slot guy who catches mostly short passes. Their is a difference in the routes he runs as compared to a guy like Golladay for example who plays outside and can run routes and get open deep when Boyd has no chance.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2021, 10:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This surprises me. Weird, he just make plays when I watch him lol

He's a good one.  Andy Reid is bringing him along nicely, that relationship with Mahommes is developing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2021, 03:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I guess I question what a speedster is as Boyd and Higgins show no inability to separate and out run defenders in the open field as well as get behind defenses. I will always takes guys such as that with functional football speed over a small scat type receiver.

Tylan Wallace and Dyami Brown are 6'1 and 6'0 185 lbs that is not considered small. Matter of fact they are very similar in size as Boyd. Just faster and play outside which is what we need.
Reply/Quote