Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
For those believing the Bengals got "hosed"
(01-06-2023, 03:53 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The right thing to do is for McDermott to rest his starters. That does 2 things. Allows his starters to rest mentally and physically and give the Bengals a more legitimate shot at @ #2, since the previous game was cancelled. They could still win the game.

What do you think the chances of that are?

If i was a betting man, i'd say 0%.

Goes back to my #2 rule. No good deed goes unpunished. I'm thrilled like the next guy that Damar is well and will hopefully be able to resume his career, but the Bengals were not able to have a chance to clinch #2, due to deferring to the Bills and not pushing to have the game replayed. 

It just doesn't make sense.  The league's message:

1.  We are going to act like the Bills lost the game and give the Chiefs the #1 seed.
2.  We are also going to act like the Bills kinda won the game and have the AFC title game at a neutral site.
3.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and prevent them from obtaining the #1 seed.
4.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and force them to play in Arrowhead in the AFCN title game.
5.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and prevent them from controlling their own destiny for the #2 seed.
6.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and force them to play the Bills in Buffalo.
7.  We are going to act like the Bengals won the game give them the AFCN title.
8.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and give the Ravens a chance to host the playoff game.

It just sucks.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 12:19 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They did not. 

1. The Bengals win the AFCN, win or lose due to a better win % in less games. Baltimore has no say in that. The Bengals benefit from playing and losing one less game. 

2. Buffalo has won one more game than the Bengals, in the exact same number of games played. If's and but's do not count here. The Bengals were ahead but did not win that game. It didn't happen. The fact of the matter is, they could have just as easily lost the game. 

What are you saying if the Bengals were one game better in the same number of games and the Bills were leading in a game that was cancelled. Let me tell you--you're saying "tough cookies" because we have the better record in the same number of games played. 

3. A coin flip only comes into play if Baltimore wins this Sunday and the results of this weeks games cause the Bengals and Ravens to be matched up in the WC round. A coin flip is fair because the Bengals benefitted from potentially losing one more game vs Bills. 

To wrap it up....the Bengals were not screwed in any way shape or form and if you think they were, you're not being genuine or honest. 

Have you sent a copy of this to Zac and Katie?
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:00 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It just doesn't make sense.  The league's message:

1.  We are going to act like the Bills lost the game and give the Chiefs the #1 seed.
2.  We are also going to act like the Bills kinda won the game and have the AFC title game at a neutral site.
3.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and prevent them from obtaining the #1 seed.
4.  3.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and force them to play in Arrowhead in the AFCN title game.
5.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and prevent them from controlling their own destiny for the #2 seed.
6.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and force them to play the Bills in Buffalo.
7.  We are going to act like the Bengals won the game give them the AFCN title.
8.  We are going to act like the Bengals lost the game and give the Ravens a chance to host the playoff game.

It just sucks.

that's the most egregious one
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:54 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: The rules gave the Commission and those within his office the ability to do what they did.. and the owners voted to approve his recommendations... not saying I agree with it but this was unprecedented somewhat, during the pandemic decisions were made that were fluid also

The rules give the commissioner discretion on how to resume a game or to not resume a game. The rest of the rules are clear on how to deal with a cancelled game when it comes to seeding and home field determination. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Im missing something, win percentage how does that benefit Bengals and hamper Bills, am i not correct if KC wins, the Bills can not get 1 seed  because of win percentage. what am I missing? if we tie with record with Bills, i don;t think the Bills become 2nd seed because of win percentage, again what am i missing ?  If you are talking neutral site.. maybe i see some of your point but still can hamper the Bills also
Win percentage alone we win the AFCN and the auto home game before this week's game. We could rest this week if we wanted

Win percentage alone if KC and Buffalo both win this weekend KC is #1 seed and host a possible AFC Championship showdown.

All the tweaks did was change those 2 outcomes
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The rule that is in place is win percentage. Using that would have "benefitted" the Bengals and "hampered" the Bills. 

The NFL just tweaked them to "benefit" the Bills and "hamper" the Bengals. Katie should be pissed as should the players and fans. 

This is the real issue here, not the coin toss.   

The NFL set rules for cancelled games. They considered those rules to be the fairest option at the time. The Bengals probably considered those rules in deciding how hard to push for a rescheduled game.

Now the NFL has conveniently decided that those rules weren't fair and have changed them on the fly.  Would they have made those changes if the Bengals were in the position of the Bills, Chiefs, or Ravens?  Not likely.

There's one thing to do now.  Carve a path to the Lombardi Trophy like Sherman's March to the sea.  When Goodell comes out to award the trophy flip him a quarter.  There's your coin toss.
Reply/Quote
Bill's fan here wanted to say thank you to everyone espy Bengals and fans. Glad Damar Hamlin doing alright.

Feel for the Bengals feel like they got hosed in this. They should of waited after this week. Makes lots of sense after this week games and go from there. Push the playoffs back a week. Possibly play Bengals with Bill's during week ( push playoffs back) if both team's wanted to play neutral site vs Bengals last regular season game. Might of been best answer in a way.

Feel for you Bengals team and you guys didn't do anything to deserve this treatment by NFL.

Thanks for all fans coaches and team for support for Hamlin. Definitely rooting for the Bengals and fans for in playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree there's no way to make everyone happy...which is why I think they should have just went with the previously established rule that was already agreed upon and on the books...instead of re-inventing the wheel on the fly in mid-drive.

I think Zac and Katie were exactly right on their takes, and I think the NFL took a step that was completely unnecessary. 

As a Bengals fan, I would 100% have been happy with the current rule of win percentage.

However, I would imagine Ravens fans (and team) would have wanted them to find a way to play the Bengals-Bills game at some point before the playoffs started if it meant my team wouldn't have been able to win the division/host a playoff game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:38 PM)Buffalo Bills Fan Wrote: Bill's fan here wanted to say thank you to everyone espy Bengals and fans. Glad Damar Hamlin doing alright.

Feel for the Bengals feel like they got hosed in this.  They should of waited after this week. Makes lots of sense after this week games and go from there. Push the playoffs back a week.  Possibly play Bengals with Bill's during week ( push playoffs back) if both team's wanted to play neutral site vs Bengals last regular season game. Might of been best answer in a way.

Feel for you Bengals team and you guys didn't do anything to deserve this treatment by NFL.

Thanks for all fans coaches and team for support for Hamlin. Definitely rooting for the Bengals and fans for  in playoffs.

Thank you.  I personally don't hold anything against the Bills for this.  Tempers are up so the Bills will probably take some shots here, but it will pass.  They shoulda just followed the rules.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:56 PM)Nepa Wrote: Sure, the Ravens would have been upset if they went 11-6 and the Bengals went 11-5 and the Ravens didn't get a chance to get a home game against the Bengals in the playoffs.

The Chiefs fans would have been upset if they had to go to a neutral site, or flip a coin, if they ended up 13-4 and in 2nd place and the Bengals 12-4 and in 3rd place. 

See the common denominator? To totally different rules for similar situations (1/2 game difference, 16 games versus 17 games) and in each case to the detriment of the Bengals. So, they decided to appease the Chiefs and  the Ravens and shaft the Bengals by making different rules for the same situations involving the Bengals.

Gotta prioritize previous Super Bowl winning teams and bigger markets, bro.
Didn't you know that?
Ninja
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:27 PM)Roland Wrote: This is the real issue here, not the coin toss.   

The NFL set rules for cancelled games. They considered those rules to be the fairest option at the time. The Bengals probably considered those rules in deciding how hard to push for a rescheduled game.

Now the NFL has conveniently decided that those rules weren't fair and have changed them on the fly.  Would they have made those changes if the Bengals were in the position of the Bills, Chiefs, or Ravens?  Not likely.

There's one thing to do now.  Carve a path to the Lombardi Trophy like Sherman's March to the sea.  When Goodell comes out to award the trophy flip him a quarter.  There's your coin toss.

I would love to ask them to codify their new rules so that they fit future situations. Put what you just decided in the rule book. Of course there is no way they could  because they just made random decisions that were specific to each team.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I would love to ask them to codify their new rules so that they fit future situations. Put what you just decided in the rule book. Of course their is no way they could  because they just made random decisions that were specific to each team.  

We just need to win. Just win BABY, all the rest is background noise!

I'll probably be singing a different tune tomorrow night if the Raiders beat KC. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:38 PM)Buffalo Bills Fan Wrote: Bill's fan here wanted to say thank you to everyone espy Bengals and fans. Glad Damar Hamlin doing alright.

Feel for the Bengals feel like they got hosed in this.  They should of waited after this week. Makes lots of sense after this week games and go from there. Push the playoffs back a week.  Possibly play Bengals with Bill's during week ( push playoffs back) if both team's wanted to play neutral site vs Bengals last regular season game. Might of been best answer in a way.

Thanks for all fans coaches and team for support for Hamlin. Definitely rooting for the Bengals and fans for  in playoffs.

Definitely glad to see Hamlin's story is going the right way.

I agree, they should've played this game in week 19, or at the least ensured a Divisional Round game would be neutral. But the cards are what they are, if we're good enough we'll win it from here anyway.

In any case, it isn't the Bills fault either, they didn't ask to be put in this situation. I do hope we don't meet in the postseason, as I just think there will be fans who take it poorly and it'll sour things. If it isn't us this year, I hope it's you guys. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:38 PM)Buffalo Bills Fan Wrote: Bill's fan here wanted to say thank you to everyone espy Bengals and fans. Glad Damar Hamlin doing alright.

Feel for the Bengals feel like they got hosed in this. They should of waited after this week. Makes lots of sense after this week games and go from there. Push the playoffs back a week. Possibly play Bengals with Bill's during week ( push playoffs back) if both team's wanted to play neutral site vs Bengals last regular season game. Might of been best answer in a way.

Thanks for all fans coaches and team for support for Hamlin. Definitely rooting for the Bengals and fans for in playoffs.

Our venting aside, we're all glad Damar seems to be turning the corner.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 04:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta prioritize previous Super Bowl winning teams and bigger markets, bro.
Didn't you know that?
Ninja

I didn't. To be honest, I was completely blindsided by this decision of the NFL. Of all the numerous scenarios being bantered about, I never visualized what they devised. There were "insiders" reporting what they expected and "analysts" repeating the NFL rules, and none of those that I read led me to anticipate what came out.
Reply/Quote
You’re wrong. Thanks.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:40 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yep, a good point made here too.

To my mind, any game involving the current top 3 seeds, should just be neutral. Screws somebody out of the #1 seed, but we had no idea who that would be anyway.

If the Bills/Bengals outcome could impact it, then I agree with you. 

But if KC wins this week and we and Buffalo both lose, then KC is #1 legit. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:08 PM)jason Wrote: Our venting aside, we're all glad Damar seems to be turning the corner.

Thanks lots. Glad as well. Just thinking here just been rough past 5 years. During time covid hit my niece 5 around the time got coxsackie b virus (went to heart), sudden death my sister said for niece said hands turning blue. Went on ecmo. A whole month drank lots during time. Survival chances low. But survived and doing well. My best friends both almost had near deaths couple years ago. One with kidney and meds and other drinking  jaundice turning yellow. A girl really like 10 years ago  her brother lost her pg and herself fire, about 3 years ago lost a child and himself. Couple days before the game my mother passed to ground but is good doing well. And the Bill's game with Damar,  just thankful Zac Taylor among others helped out lots. We all glad Damar doing ok.

Let's go Bengals for playoffs. Even if possible Bill's  play them and lose (won't be sad or angry) , i'll remember they deserve the chance and what they did for others (Bengals). Rooting for them rest of way.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 09:49 PM)Buffalo Bills Fan Wrote: Thanks lots. Glad as well. Just thinking here just been rough past 5 years. During time covid hit my niece 5 around the time got coxsackie b virus (went to heart), sudden death my sister said hands turning blue. Went on ecmo. A whole month drank lots during time. Survival chances low. But survived and doing well. My best friends both almost had near deaths couple years ago. One with kidney and meds and other drinking  jaundice turning yellow. A girl really like 10 years ago  her brother lost her pg and herself fire, about 3 years ago lost a child and himself. Couple days before the game my mother passed to ground but is good doing well. And the Bill's game with Damar,  just thankful Zac Taylor among others helped out lots. We all glad Damar doing ok.

Let's go Bengals for playoffs. Even if possible Bill's  play them and lose (won't be sad or angry) , i'll remember they deserve the chance and what they did for others (Bengals). Rooting for them rest of way.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Sounds like you had quite the year. I hope 2023 is much better.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 12:26 AM)casear2727 Wrote: 1.  Baltimore now has the chance to play the 1st playoff game at their home, whereas we had 2 games to win 1 to prevent that.  A higher seed and division winner should not go on the road in the 1st round.  They need to make up their minds.  If they want to do a coin flip, flip it for the MNF game we were winning.

2.  Bengals had 2 chances to take the #2 seed controlling their own destiny, now we must have help.

3.  Bengals went from the chance of being the #1 Seed to it being impossible.

I am extremely genuine and honest, of all the teams impacted we got the shaft like no other.

/thread.

I'll also add:

- I saw a graph on Thom Brennamen's podcast that said we were the only one of KC, Buffalo and Cincy that has no scenario where we have a home playoff game against either of the other 2 teams.

- We get all the downfalls of a division title, which includes lower draft picks and tougher schedule next year, with none of the benefits if we lose a coin flip to Baltimore.

There is a chance that none of this will happen and we won't be affected all that much, but this could be the story of our season if it plays out the wrong way, and there are a ton of what if's that will be asked forever, regardless.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote