Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those hoping for a HC change...
(12-07-2016, 03:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18228027/talk-owner-mike-brown-every-day

This whole interview makes Marv extremely confident (almost cocky) that he's not going anywhere. He doesn't seem even remotely concerned about losing his job. The thought of a coach keeping his  job for TWO DECADES with 0 playoff wins seems surreal, but it's about to be reality.

Why should this shock anyone? Honestly, you have to be a complete idiot if you really think the Bengals are going to fire Lewis or not renew his contract. I'll take it a step further and say don't expect the Bengals to ever win a playoff as long as Lewis is HC....aka don't hold your breath.
Reply/Quote
Talk about non-news.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 03:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18228027/talk-owner-mike-brown-every-day

This whole interview makes Marv extremely confident (almost cocky) that he's not going anywhere. He doesn't seem even remotely concerned about losing his job. The thought of a coach keeping his  job for TWO DECADES with 0 playoff wins seems surreal, but it's about to be reality.

marvin doesn't really say hes not worried about getting the boot just that he talks to the boss daily and spending time worrying about anything past beating the next team  is wasting his and the bosses time.

He did say as far as hes concerned hes signed thru 2017 season so hes not worried about his contract.  Doesn't mean he wont be released from his contract.

from how I read it anyways. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 06:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: marvin doesn't really say hes not worried about getting the boot just that he talks to the boss daily and spending time worrying about anything past beating the next team  is wasting his and the bosses time.

He did say as far as hes concerned hes signed thru 2017 season so hes not worried about his contract.  Doesn't mean he wont be released from his contract.

from how I read it anyways. 

Well, couple that with how MB takes firing his employees personal, it sounds so much like he's running this like a family and not a business. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Same old song and dance.

Yet now even the Homers like me are ready to see Marvin leave.

So maybe the there is a chance.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:01 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: "I think the thing with Mike is that he's been in this business a long time. And he takes every loss as hard as I do or anybody else does here. And it affects him," Lewis said. "But on the other hand, he trusts me to move the football team in the right direction. ... that's the commitment that he's made to me ... and that's the commitment I've made to him, to get his football team in the playoffs and through the playoffs all the time and be world champions...

I would laugh if this didn't make me want to vomit.  

I'm sure Mike does stress over a loss...for about three seconds.  Then he bellows for one his lackey's to bring him his current bank balance, and his heart grows three times its size.

[Image: tumblr_mepgq6rMcb1qfr6udo4_r1_250.gif]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 07:08 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Well, couple that with how MB takes firing his employees personal, it sounds so much like he's running this like a family and not a business. 

Yep, that's the thing, Marvin has been around so long that he's now so entrenched into every facet of the Football Operations, that if he were to be hit by a bus or something terrible, the team would be crippled for 10 years.  Our only hope is that Marvin decides that it is time to just be on the managerial side of things, and pass the coaching baton to whomever he deems worthy..  Considering that the last guy that they tabbed as the "coach in waiting' (Hue Jackson) ran out the door as fast as the shittiest organization in the league asked him for an interview, it could be a while before Marvin decides that he has had enough. Sad 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Well I've had my fingers crossed and been saying little prayers. But I, like most here, know there was next to no chance.

I don't think it's in me to keep soldiering on ? Enough is enough
Reply/Quote
This is a joke. All i can do is laugh. I already made a post this year, the only way to get through to mike brown is have empty seats, and well thats just not going to happen. I got alot of criticm from that post. I even wonder if this season was fixed, because can somebody really be that dumb not to replace guys thats losing you games? Ced and nugent specifically. I was thinking maybe if hes in his final year, maybe thatll be the year we will go far, since the nfl likes to send guys out on top.
Reply/Quote
Agree with the sentiment this is non-news news. If you are a fan, you know how this organization works in a measured pace. While I don't believe Marvin will be fired, I could see, and feel, that his time as a coach is winding down, leading to a move into administration. This seasons coaching changes/additions have had the feel of a long term job interview for those brought in. If so, that is actually a very respectable way to handle a coaching transition for a team not in crisis mode. The coaches that came in with their blend of old and new faces definitely gave the impression of a first round of interviewees.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
A movie based off of this article coming out summer of 2017!

[img][Image: winch1.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 05:18 PM)jj22 Wrote: Only hope is to lose out. And that isn't even a given to work.

That isn't going to happen. They are going to give it their best and even though that sucks from a draft standpoint, you kinda have to admire them for it. The team is still playing for Marvin. And again, we aren't that far from having a winning record. I don't have any problem letting them re-load in the draft (comp picks! and hopefully something for AJM) and seeing what happens. I have said before i don't want Marvin fired for what is left behind him. 

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 03:46 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Mike is committed and stuck in his ways.  He was born in 1935.  I don't think changing is in his blood.  He will stick with his contract, and Marvin will remain coaching.  I would almost say he will be coaching here after next, season as well.   
Yes, Art Model did a job on Paul Brown and Paul made sure Mikey never forgot that owner loyalty to his HC is paramount. A sad take away that this is all Mikey got from PB's brilliant career.
Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 11:00 PM)Burma Wrote: Agree with the sentiment this is non-news news.  If you are a fan, you know how this organization works in a measured pace.  While I don't believe Marvin will be fired, I could see, and feel, that his time as a coach is winding down, leading to a move into administration.  This seasons coaching changes/additions have had the feel of a long term job interview for those brought in.  If so, that is actually a very respectable way to handle a coaching transition for a team not in crisis mode.  The coaches that came in with their blend of old and new faces definitely gave the impression of a first round of interviewees.

Gawd I hope these aren't candidates......I wouldn't want any of them coaching a NFL team.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Not sure how much more I can take of this franchise as long as Mike Clown is the owner
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 04:48 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think it's more frustration than being 'baffled'. Many fans, myself included, feel this team desperately needs a change at HC, but I think most knew that the chances of it actually happening were slim to none...and that's being generous.

Honestly, Marvin will probably be able to coach here as long as he wants. It's hard to imagine a situation where Mike would fire him or not give him continuous extensions...as long as Marvin is still game. Mike trusts Marvin and is very comfortable with him. I think Marvin is here until he decides he wants to walk away. 

Complacency has a very secure home in the Bengals organization. 

This nails it.  I believe that great coordinators took this team very close to the top, and a one year drop-off will never cause them to eliminate the HC.  There are too many excuses:  The schedule, Eifert's injury, Burfict's suspension, Ogbuehi's injury caused him to miss his second camp, blah, blah, blah...

I guess what I will hope for the most is that they address the few key needs with quality depth to prevent a single player or two from ruining the season. 

I think they need a vertical threat opposite AJ Green.  I really want Terrelle Pryor.  Cody Core may pan out to be a great back up to him, but I don't want to hold my breath and hope he develops overnight.   He can keep learning and get some snaps to challenge defenses behind Pryor, and then if AJ goes down again, you would still have burners in Pryor and Core outside.  

The defensive line gets no pass rush from the RDE position.  Some will quote an obscure ranking among DEs that are over 6'5" and get a couple stats from someone running right in to them, but a real speed rushing presence on the right side is necessary in this defense.  

They need a veteran OT that can spell the young guys and perhaps allow Fisher to kick inside.  I think Fisher could be solid.  I don't harbor a lot of hope for Ogbuehi.  I think he is mentally fragile and has a defeatist attitude.  Hangs his head too much.

They also need depth of quicker, quality LBs.  I would think they will draft at least two more LBs to replace Maualuga and Dansby.

Lastly, they need a RB that can move the chains.  He doesn't have to have breakaway speed, but he needs the defense to feel the effect of tackling him come the fourth quarter.

There are other holes, and places to develop future starters, but these are the most glaring weaknesses, IMHO.  

Oh, I almost forget.  Kicker.  'Nuff said.  
Reply/Quote
Let's not kid ourselves-by supporting this football team, we're really just supporting Mike Brown's family business. He should probably consider changing the mascot from "Bengals" to the "Brown Blackburns." That way we won't get our team confused with the Browns.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2016, 05:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Me too, but after this meltdown on the line with his hand picked proteges and then sticking with one of them when he was obviously the smelliest turd has me pretty well finished if he isn't.  Oh, I'll check scores and catch a few quarters here and there, I'm sure, but I'll not be contributing a dime to the organization directly, and I won't be as invested.  I can find other ways to occupy my Sundays.  I've already missed more this season than I ever have, the glorious 90's included.  There's no excuse for this shit.

We went to our normal sports place to watch some football and eat wings this past Sunday, but we did not go until 5:00.  It was the first time we've been there in over a month, and we normally do not miss a week when the Bengals play.  A number of the staff actually asked if we have been alright, "did something happen, you've not been in for awhile".  I just don't have much interest in the team right now, and I am sorry to say that I'm not sure I see that changing.

Every year we tell ourselves "next season is ours".  We make excuses why the team fell short, think the NFL will stop plotting against them, they'll draft a super stud in the first round, and everything will come together.  I just don't see it happening.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2016, 04:38 AM)Wyche Wrote: Gawd I hope these aren't candidates......I wouldn't want any of them coaching a NFL team.

Wouldn't that be the ultimate kick in the nuts... finally get rid of Marvin and Jim Haslett becomes the new head coach Sad
Reply/Quote
No revalations here. Marvin isn't going anywhere until he chooses to.
Reply/Quote