Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
For those that can remember the Blake years
(05-11-2020, 12:39 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Here is a article that puts this to rest.. Though he was 36 yrs old then (which was considered over the hill then), the Bengals offered him a contract but the $$ and chance to have maybe his only shot at MNF football was too much...

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/sports-from-the-vault/sports-vault-in-week-12-of-the-97-season-boomer-came-back-to-save-the-day

That doesn't contradict anything.

. "Unfortunately, the Bengals' contract offer wasn't enough for him to stave off his career change for another year."

Boomer would also say later that he was disappointed that when they were talking about his return and, negotiating, Mike Brown told him he  should take the MNF job. He was expecting to come back, and wanted to come back. Fans were expecting him back. But Mike Brown let it be known he wasn't going to make a competitive offer. Boomer felt a little jilted and said fine, I'll leave.
Reply/Quote
We interviewed Jeff Blake last night on our Sunday Night Football with Bengal Jim and Friends broadcast.  In addition we had Jeff Blake on the show.

We invite you to check out the interview below:

https://youtu.be/S43gnd_lbJs
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 01:44 AM)Mobster Wrote: That doesn't contradict anything.

. "Unfortunately, the Bengals' contract offer wasn't enough for him to stave off his career change for another year."

Boomer would also say later that he was disappointed that when they were talking about his return and, negotiating, Mike Brown told him he  should take the MNF job. He was expecting to come back, and wanted to come back. Fans were expecting him back. But Mike Brown let it be known he wasn't going to make a competitive offer. Boomer felt a little jilted and said fine, I'll leave.

So I give you a primary source  that shows the Bengals offered a contract which others on here said no contract offer he was shown the door and he mentions the openness to signing a multi year deal but because of the once in a life time chance it has to be a good deal.
That is a long way from Mike showed him the door....
He had a nice short run at end of his career but he was 36 I'm not giving him a high multi year deal either. And it does not seem any other team jumped on signing him either.. you might differ on the offer the Bengals gave but you cant continue with he was not offered a contract and sent packing... if so please find a article that says that..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just another example of Mike Brown taking care of his players. Boomer may have had a couple of good years left in the tank, but MB told him to take the broadcasting job, which has become a very lucrative and successful 2nd career for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 06:33 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 1994 1995 Jeff Blake puts together a nice run of
Pro Bowl seasons. The Bengals go 7-9 8-8. But in 1996 for
Whatever reason the offense gets  off to a slow start
And after 11 games he gets benched for Boomer.
I think they sign Neil O'Donnell to a huge contract in 97.
Does anyone recall why the organization gave up on Blake
So fast ? Seems to be Blake still was quite young and had
Alot left.
1997 till.Carson got drafted the front office was just burning
Through QBs.

This is horrible to say, and people will likely attack me for it, but Blake had an "issue" not many knew about.  ALLEGEDLY, there were numerous cases of Jeff Blake having women come to Riverfront, Cinergy, or whatever the name was at that time with paternity suits against him.  He was married and had a decent sized family, but there were a lot of issues with infidelity that lead to women trying to get money from him.  

There was a time when he, Pickens, and Darnay Scott lockered near each other and it was referred to as "cancer corner" as the three of them were seemingly so negative in relation to the rest of the team and, more specifically, coaches and ownership.  Attached is a link to what Blake believes was the reason for the lack of interest from the Bengals, but I believe the issues with the paternity suits and the fact that he struggled to attack teams in the middle (potentially a product of his height) when teams dropped safeties back to take away his amazing deep ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uex37qilQtk&t=09m38s&ab_channel=D%26HSports

The interview continued to discuss the importance of a mobile QB in today's NFL and Blake was playing at a time where there were not as many black QBs in the NFL, but I will tell you...the Bengals had a real problem with those paternity suits showing up at their offices.  And, again: ALLEGEDLY, there were quite a few of them.

I loved the guy and loved watching him play.  He was a brief spark in a very dark decade.   
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Better deep ball...Blake or Palmer?

Not even close:  Blake.  He had uncanny accuracy down the field.  And it was a very catchable ball.  Dropped right in on the guys.  
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 10:38 PM)Mobster Wrote: Mike Brown basically told Boomer to take the MNF job. It came down to, hey we're not going to give you a big contract so you're better off taking the TV gig.

As for Blake, he created some excitement and made big plays, but the short and intermediate game was really lacking.

This is how I remember it as well.  Boomer wanted to talk about playing, but Brown simply congratulated him on the MNF gig. 

I will never forget the primetime game where Boomer and the Bengals beat the Houston Oilers (who I used to hate as much as pitt) 41-14 behind 246 yards rushing by Dillon.  That was one of the most exciting games I have ever attended.  
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 12:05 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I thought Palmer had better talent around him than Blake had
Heck Palmer had better coaches
Blake had to put up 24 a game just to keep it close

Truth.

Blake made the Bengal's selection of Klingler look horrible, which it was, by being a third string QB that beat out a #1 overall pick and it wasn't even close.  Klingler was a square peg trying to be forced in to a round hole.  Rather than design a run-and-shoot offense like he ran at Houston, they tried to force him in to their style and with poor offensive line play combined with his slow processing (he came from a one-read offense) got the guy killed.  

Blake's mobility and deep ball opened things up a bit for the offense and even Harold Green had a bit of a return to form when Carter went down.  

The defense at that time was awful.  Every game was going to be a shoot out if they were going to win.  
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 08:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Truth.

Blake made the Bengal's selection of Klingler look horrible, which it was, by being a third string QB that beat out a #1 overall pick and it wasn't even close.  Klingler was a square peg trying to be forced in to a round hole.  Rather than design a run-and-shoot offense like he ran at Houston, they tried to force him in to their style and with poor offensive line play combined with his slow processing (he came from a one-read offense) got the guy killed.  

Blake's mobility and deep ball opened things up a bit for the offense and even Harold Green had a bit of a return to form when Carter went down.  

The defense at that time was awful.  Every game was going to be a shoot out if they were going to win.  

Klinger wasn’t a #1 overall. We took him at 6.

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 08:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Klinger wasn’t a #1 overall. We took him at 6.

My bad.  Carter was #1 overall.  Then Dillon made him look bad, but that was injury related.  
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 08:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is horrible to say, and people will likely attack me for it, but Blake had an "issue" not many knew about.  ALLEGEDLY, there were numerous cases of Jeff Blake having women come to Riverfront, Cinergy, or whatever the name was at that time with paternity suits against him.  He was married and had a decent sized family, but there were a lot of issues with infidelity that lead to women trying to get money from him.  

There was a time when he, Pickens, and Darnay Scott lockered near each other and it was referred to as "cancer corner" as the three of them were seemingly so negative in relation to the rest of the team and, more specifically, coaches and ownership.  Attached is a link to what Blake believes was the reason for the lack of interest from the Bengals, but I believe the issues with the paternity suits and the fact that he struggled to attack teams in the middle (potentially a product of his height) when teams dropped safeties back to take away his amazing deep ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uex37qilQtk&t=09m38s&ab_channel=D%26HSports

The interview continued to discuss the importance of a mobile QB in today's NFL and Blake was playing at a time where there were not as many black QBs in the NFL, but I will tell you...the Bengals had a real problem with those paternity suits showing up at their offices.  And, again: ALLEGEDLY, there were quite a few of them.

I loved the guy and loved watching him play.  He was a brief spark in a very dark decade.   

Blake was listed at 6' which means he was actually 5' 10 and 1/2". I've always felt the opposition started learning to apply the pressure up the middle and get their hands up and he couldn't see very well. 
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2020, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Better deep ball...Blake or Palmer?

Blake

Palmer had a nice deep ball but Blake's were just a thing of beauty.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 09:45 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Blake

Palmer had a nice deep ball but Blake's were just a thing of beauty.

You beat me to the reply, agreed Blake's was also thrilling to watch as the play unfolded.
Reply/Quote
1.  No other team made Boomer a better offer, so no way we can blame Brown for him not coming back.

2.  Those '95 to '97 teams also had some talented players on defense,  John Copeland and Dan Wilkerson were both very good D-linemen, CB Ashley Ambrose had 8 interceptions and was All Pro in '96. Safety Darryl Williams went to the Pro Bowl after he left the Bengals

2.  Blake had a good RB every season.... '95 Harold Green (Pro Bowl '92), '96 (Garrison Hearst (Pro Bowl '98, '01), '97 Corey Dillon (4 time Pro Bowl)
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 12:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well yeah...I don’t think anyone would argue otherwise (other than Blake having a better RB in Dillon for a couple years) I simply asked who had the better deep ball.

Dillon didn’t start until midway into his rookie season. By then Boomer was or has taken over at this point. 98 was O’Donnell. 99 Akili fiasco. Blake never really had a chance with Dillon.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 08:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is how I remember it as well.  Boomer wanted to talk about playing, but Brown simply congratulated him on the MNF gig. 

I will never forget the primetime game where Boomer and the Bengals beat the Houston Oilers (who I used to hate as much as pitt) 41-14 behind 246 yards rushing by Dillon.  That was one of the most exciting games I have ever attended.  

They were still the Oilers but had already moved to Tennessee. I was there also! So Awesome!
Reply/Quote
My first and only Bengals game ever live was in AZ with Blake at the helm. The thing I remember them most for were the bombs flying 40 yrds. launched almost every other 5 plays. We lost the game vs the Cards but I was sitting in the nosebleeds and it was fun watching him lob those puppies.
Reply/Quote
Blake is the perfect example of how deep passes are more about timing than arm strength.

I'd say just about any college QB today can throw the ball 50+ in the air, but completeing deep passes is very difficult because it is about timing.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  No other team made Boomer a better offer, so no way we can blame Brown for him not coming back.

2.  Those '95 to '97 teams also had some talented players on defense,  John Copeland and Dan Wilkerson were both very good D-linemen, CB Ashley Ambrose had 8 interceptions and was All Pro in '96. LB James Francis and Safety Darryl Williams both went to Pro Bowls after they left the Bengals

2.  Blake had a good RB every season.... '95 Harold Green (Pro Bowl '92), '96 (Garrison Hearst (Pro Bowl '98, '01), '97 Corey Dillon (4 time Pro Bowl)
Fred
Blake had very underachieving running attacks when he was 
The starter. Harold Green was a 1st Rd flop when Blake took controls. He barely broke 600 yds in his best season when Blake was under center 
Garrison Hearst had better years after his one year I'm Cincy 
But his one year was forgettable. He had 0 TDS. 
as a matter of fact he amassed 600.touches and had a blistering 3 TDS to show for it 
Other defenses never had to put a extra man in the box 
Vs the Bengals 
Nobody feared Hearst Green or I think Bienemy.

The Bengals defenses had high 1st RD picks that really failed 
To be dominant.i considered Copeland and Wilkinson to be soft 
At times 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2020, 12:27 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Fred
Blake had very underachieving running attacks when he was 
The starter. Harold Green was a 1st Rd flop when Blake took controls. He barely broke 600 yds in his best season when Blake was under center 
Garrison Hearst had better years after his one year I'm Cincy 
But his one year was forgettable. He had 0 TDS. 
as a matter of fact he amassed 600.touches and had a blistering 3 TDS to show for it 
Other defenses never had to put a extra man in the box 
Vs the Bengals 
Nobody feared Hearst Green or I think Bienemy.

The Bengals defenses had high 1st RD picks that really failed 
To be dominant.i considered Copeland and Wilkinson to be soft 
At times 

I did not mean to imply that Blake had a sloid run game behind him.  Just pointing out that he had some talented backs to work with.

As for Wilkerson being soft.  Soft DTs don't have a trade value of 2 first round and 1 third round pick.
Reply/Quote