Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
For those that hate all the empty sets…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

Joe Burrow has 0 incompletions this year when throwing against Cover 0, an absolutely absurd stat. One of the reasons Burrow and the Bengals like empty is because it can bate teams into heavy blitzing. Last night JAX got baited into it and Burrow checked to the screen and got it to Uzomah to essentially win the gam. When you have a QB who knows where to go with the ball and can get into the right plays there is a lot of value to getting into empty. 
Reply/Quote
I hated that during the Bears game it was under center run empty set shotgun throw. It was so easy to read. Last night was completely different we seen Joey B throw PA from under center and they even ran it in the shotgun. We seen 3 screens 2 got blown up then a TE screen to set up the game winner.

Last night was more of the offense I expected to see earlier this season. I cannot wait to see it continue to get better during the season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:48 PM)Synric Wrote: I hated that during the Bears game it was under center run empty set shotgun throw. It was so easy to read. Last night was completely different we seen Joey B throw PA from under center and they even ran it in the shotgun. We seen 3 screens 2 got blown up then a TE screen to set up the game winner.

Last night was more of the offense I expected to see earlier this season. I cannot wait to see it continue to get better during the season.

I'd like to see a jet motion added to empty to add the threat of run.
Reply/Quote
Amazing what he can do with a little time in that formation. It's like stealing
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2021, 12:51 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'd like to see a jet motion added to empty to add the threat of run.

That 1st CJ touchdown was a great design bringing Thomas on a fake end around to shift the linebackers then a naked boot to the TE.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Something interesting I heard yesterday from Lapham. He said they went in at halftime and Burrow told the coaching staff he wanted to be in empty in the 2nd and they could do whatever they wanted with the run game but he had match ups he wanted to attack from empty.
Reply/Quote
Empty works against a team like Jacksonville.

He'll get ate alive in the formation against the Division once again. This is not a finesse division.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 10:56 AM)Au165 Wrote: Something interesting I heard yesterday from Lapham. He said they went in at halftime and Burrow told the coaching staff he wanted to be in empty in the 2nd and they could do whatever they wanted with the run game but he had match ups he wanted to attack from empty.

He probably saw certain weaknesses/tendencies that the Jags defenders had, that he could exploit.

Like Peyton, another coach on the field.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
LOL did anybody watch Burrow on the above mentioned jailbreak screen?

Check it from the 10:00 mark until 11:15.

We don't hate the empty sets because we think Joe Burrow isn't good enough with 5 receivers, we hate the empty sets because it tells us that some people are too stupid to learn from past mistakes.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 03:31 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: LOL did anybody watch Burrow on the above mentioned jailbreak screen?

Check it from the 10:00 mark until 11:15.

We don't hate the empty sets because we think Joe Burrow isn't good enough with 5 receivers, we hate the empty sets because it tells us that some people are too stupid to learn from past mistakes.

Burrow is 27th in the league in QB Hits per ProFootball Reference.  The only AFCN QB that's been hit less is Mayfield.  The only AFCN QB that's been sacked less is Roethlisberger.  

Besides which, he wasn't injured in empty.  Where is the outcry against shotgun/single back/trips right?
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 11:00 AM)jj22 Wrote: Empty works against a team like Jacksonville.

He'll get ate alive in the formation against the Division once again. This is not a finesse division.

Idk man, Burrow torched the Steelers this year and his 2 best games were against the Browns last year. That said, I do think you need to run to win consistently in this division. People bring up the Steelers throwing it around, but their best days were running the ball. They flamed out last year and haven't done much of note in the past 10 years since they've relied on Ben more.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I disputed a post not too long ago that stated Zac has an ego he hasn't earned. I think allowing Joe the freedom he does disputes this as well. Joe has liked the empty set since LSU and this is the second staff that has allowed him to use it.

Kudos to Joe, Zac, and the oline.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 04:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: Burrow is 27th in the league in QB Hits per ProFootball Reference.  The only AFCN QB that's been hit less is Mayfield.  The only AFCN QB that's been sacked less is Roethlisberger.  

Besides which, he wasn't injured in empty.  Where is the outcry against shotgun/single back/trips right?
Check back with that stat after four more games. What was his ranking after 2 weeks? Do you think the loss of TJ Watt affected those numbers after week 3? How many of his hits were on an empty set?

Andrew Luck was only sacked 18 times in his final season. After the hits, knockdowns and sacks from the previous campaigns, he still couldn't get ready for the following year after an entire off-season of physical therapy/work outs. Since Burrow has already missed six games due to a major injury, I would like to think that they would try to protect him more, but this is Cincinnati and apparently they just go to war with what they have.

And they fixed the shotgun/single back/trips right after the outcry for Michael Jordan's release.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 07:20 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Check back with that stat after four more games. What was his ranking after 2 weeks? Do you think the loss of TJ Watt affected those numbers after week 3? How many of his hits were on an empty set?

Andrew Luck was only sacked 18 times in his final season. After the hits, knockdowns and sacks from the previous campaigns, he still couldn't get ready for the following year after an entire off-season of physical therapy/work outs. Since Burrow has already missed six games due to a major injury, I would like to think that they would try to protect him more, but this is Cincinnati and apparently they just go to war with what they have.

And they fixed the shotgun/single back/trips right after the outcry for Michael Jordan's release.

The guy is a rare talent, but Riley would have handled him. It's not like we still have Bobby Hart out there. Him being out is just a convenient excuse being thrown around by stealer fans....
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2021, 07:20 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Check back with that stat after four more games. What was his ranking after 2 weeks? Do you think the loss of TJ Watt affected those numbers after week 3? How many of his hits were on an empty set?

To this point, maybe. We handled Ingram who up until they played us had been one of the top rushers in the league this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 08:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  The guy is a rare talent, but Riley would have handled him. It's not like we still have Bobby Hart out there. Him being out is just a convenient excuse being thrown around by stealer fans....

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, you just called Forever Spinning Vinyl a Steeler fan!!!!! 

FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

I don't have the stat ranking after 2 weeks.  He was hit 6 times the first 2 weeks.  If we keep that rate through 4 games it would be 12, which would tie him for 16th, so an average amount.  Though the reality is that teams don't always have all their best players.  If you want to curve for opposing pass rushers being out, then you also have to curve for OL being out.

Andrew Luck retired because he "lost his joy for the game.". He admitted that injuries were a factor, but they were not the lone reason.  A mysterious "calf injury" kept him out of OTA's and TC, which has nothing to do with the hits he took early in his career.  Luck thew for 4500+ yards and set a career high for QBR the year before he retired, so this narrative that he was physically broken and could no longer play the game at a high level is false.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 09:59 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, you just called Forever Spinning Vinyl a Steeler fan!!!!! 

FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT

Mellow

It might read that way, but not what I meant. I mean every Stealer fan I know is saying "but Watt was out" and using that as an excuse.
Reply/Quote