Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For those that hated the trade down.
(05-01-2021, 12:02 PM)PDub80 Wrote: You're just a malcontent. Whatever happens, the Bengals are wrong and you're going to cry. 

Bengals pick top rated prospect..."Bengals don't need scouts because all the do is watch ESPN for their picks"

Bengals pick player who is not top rated..."Bengals are stupid for not taking highest rated prospect."
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:58 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Do you have links to that or know what podcast that was on? Would be interested in reading/hearing.

Marshall did have weird medicals. Coming to LSU Marshall & Jefferson were both more highly sought after recruits than Chase. Chase just ended up out working them and having the light bulb come on and from there, the sky was the limit. Joey B was the same way.

James Rapien just said on Locked On Bengals podcast that he found out Mid day Fri that in now way, shape, or form were the Bengals ever going to take Jenkins based on several different factors. And that they had Carman rated higher than Little, Radunz, Eichenberg, etc.

Time will tell!
It was a radio broadcast with TJ housh
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:58 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Do you have links to that or know what podcast that was on? Would be interested in reading/hearing.

Marshall did have weird medicals. Coming to LSU Marshall & Jefferson were both more highly sought after recruits than Chase. Chase just ended up out working them and having the light bulb come on and from there, the sky was the limit. Joey B was the same way.

James Rapien just said on Locked On Bengals podcast that he found out Mid day Fri that in now way, shape, or form were the Bengals ever going to take Jenkins based on several different factors. And that they had Carman rated higher than Little, Radunz, Eichenberg, etc.

Time will tell!

There were several problems with Jenkins.  No one knows because we don't have access but lingering medicals is what I was hearing
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:15 PM)bengaloo Wrote: For all we know, he beats out Hopkins and becomes a solid C under Pollack. I cant write Price off yet under the different circumstances. Jim Turner sucked, plain and simple.

This is well reasoned! Jim Turner took solid linemen and turned them into flinching squishballs. Before his injury Billy Price looked very promising in early 2018 under Frank Pollack.
Reply/Quote
I would have been absolutely appalled had they not traded back and taken Carman at 38 lol. Thankfully they squeezed two R4s out of it. This draft pool may not be top-heavy, but it's loaded with R3-quality prospects. R4 is where the value is concentered.

They have a chance to make some real noise today, but they have to nail these picks.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is well reasoned! Jim Turner took solid linemen and turned them into flinching squishballs. Before his injury Billy Price looked very promising in early 2018 under Frank Pollack.

I wouldn’t go that far, but he certainly didn’t look completely horrendous like he did under Turner.

That’s one of the things that gives me so much hope for Jonah. For him to look as good as he did after missing an entire year, and only ever having Turner as a coach at the NFL level, was pretty impressive. I expect to see him play very well if he can stay healthy.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals pick top rated prospect..."Bengals don't need scouts because all the do is watch ESPN for their picks"

Bengals pick player who is not top rated..."Bengals are stupid for not taking highest rated prospect."

EXACTLY

This kind of defeatist, circular logic makes little sense to me. It makes absolutely no sense. I hate "If this than that" absolute thinking, but this take doesn't even work logically. Those statements are in complete contradiction of eachother.

In regards to Carman, both Willie Anderson AND Paul Alexander worked him out and are very familiar with him. Both guys stood on a table for him as a great prospect. BTW, Paul Alexander on the Bengals Booth podcast from lastnight said the 32 1/2" arm measurment for Carman is wrong. They measured him twice and he has 33 1/4" He said he measured him and then had someone else do it and confirmed. He said the same thing happened to Joe Thomas where the NFL mismeasured.

Rashawn Slater's claim to fame was keeping Chase Young at bay. Like, that was the big drum beat for him..... Against Jackson Carman in 2019, Young had 1 tackle, ZERO tackles for loss, & 1 hurry.

^ What are people upset about with that pick?!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 01:00 PM)PDub80 Wrote: EXACTLY

This kind of defeatist, circular logic makes little sense to me. It makes absolutely no sense. I hate "If this than that" absolute thinking, but this take doesn't even work logically. Those statements are in complete contradiction of eachother.

In regards to Carman, both Willie Anderson AND Paul Alexander worked him out and are very familiar with him. Both guys stood on a table for him as a great prospect. BTW, Paul Alexander on the Bengals Booth podcast from lastnight said the 32 1/2" arm measurment for Carman is wrong. They measured him twice and he has 33 1/4" He said he measured him and then had someone else do it and confirmed. He said the same thing happened to Joe Thomas where the NFL mismeasured.

Rashawn Slater's claim to fame was keeping Chase Young at bay. Like, that was the big drum beat for him..... Against Jackson Carman in 2019, Young had 1 tackle, ZERO tackles for loss, & 1 hurry.

^ What are people upset about with that pick?!

That he’s not Penei Sewell...

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 01:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That he’s not Penei Sewell...

Or that we got him after Rd 1... whether or not it was great value
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 12:35 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is well reasoned!  Jim Turner took solid linemen and turned them into flinching squishballs.  Before his injury Billy Price looked very promising in early 2018 under Frank Pollack.

He did? 

He got hurt just 1.25 games into the season, he was bad at snapping the ball both before and after the injury, and he had a very memorable moment of getting ran the F over in his first game. How was that enough to look very promising?

According to PFF he had 7 penalties in just 558 offensive snaps. (Only about half of a season's worth.) I mean hell, Dalton got hurt in 2018 with his poor snapping because Dalton was scrambling for a fumble after Price snapped it over his head.

- - - - -
At this rate, Frank Pollack is getting a bigger rep than Jesus when it comes to remembering the past and faith for the future.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Time will tell!

I love the trade down now. When I first found out that they could have picked Jenkins and passed to trade down 10 spots to take Carman, I was not too happy. After watching film on Carman, I think he would make a very good guard
, especially on the move. Not a solid tackle, but hopefully they don't intend to use him that way. The biggest concern here is the disc issue in his back, and I'm not thrilled to be taking an injury risk with a second round pick. Hopefully he becomes a 10 year starter for us at one of the guard spots, but I'm not sure this was the best guard prospect available where he was selected. But I do hope I'm wrong. Given what you say about how the Bengals felt about Jenkins, it makes some sense, and I hope they're right, but think that they may have made a mistake.

I honestly don't like the Ossai pick at all. I think he's a high motor guy, who's faster than Hubbard, but not as powerful. Not a terrible pick, but think there were better players in other positions at that spot. Perhaps need won out over bpa. I hope you're right and this guy does big things, but to me he seems like a low end starter or an average rotational player.
Reply/Quote
Borrow IS gonna die..just not right away..I'm gonna die,  just not right...arrrgggg! ________________.. (posting from the land of arrrgggg)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
At first, I was not a fan of the Ossai pick at all, mainly because of watching him play against Teven Jenkins. He seemed to be only a high motor player without any pass rush moves. After I watched him play against others, I realized that he has the potential to be a very good pass rusher in addition to his high motor and very good speed.

Realizing now that Jenkins has his own injury issues, I guess I'm not feeling too bad about passing on him to take Carman. As long as Carman's injury is not serious, the trade down was great. To get players like Shelvin and Smith with the trade makes it a great move. Carman can be a good guard as long as his injury is not serious, but never a tackle in the NFL. Let's see if Carman, Shelving and Smith become long time starters to anchor playoff runs.
Reply/Quote
I did not hate the trade down, per se. But I was not thrilled with who we took after we traded down (Carman). That was an obvious reach.

Of the 2 bonus picks: like Shelvin and meh on Smith. I'd rather have a better Burrow protector than a possible Tupou upgrade & another OT project.

The fact we took 3 OL really speaks to the fact that Pollack is not a huge fan of Turner's guys. Johnson, Jordan, Price, Adeniji. Not room for a couple of them anymore. Though Price's contract is probably a tough swallow.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 08:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: What if... The  Bengals  flip one of their 4th round picks for Zach Ertz today and then sign (fa) one or two of trae turner/Eric fisher/Russ pking/etc to a 1-2 year deal for depth/camp competition?  This would be in addition to 5 other picks today as well.

Would those of you be able to look back at this weekend as a win?

I was disappointed with the trade back as I was expecting the Bengals to run to the podium with Teven Jenkin's name, but then they traded back. Chicago traded up and go him with at next pick. I believe Jenkins will be a quality starting RT for the next decade and would have added some long term consistency to this inconsistent and constantly changing line.

I guess the team liked Carson and the picks better. I see either Carson or Williams moving to LG, probably Carson as he's a rookie. Certainly will be an upgrade at that spot. I'm also wondering if Williams health has become a concern causing the team to take someone who's played LT.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:17 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I was disappointed with the trade back as I was expecting the Bengals to run to the podium with Teven Jenkin's name, but then they traded back. Chicago traded up and go him with at next pick. I believe Jenkins will be a quality starting RT for the next decade and would have added some long term consistency to this inconsistent and constantly changing line.

I guess the team liked Carson and the picks better. I see either Carson or Williams moving to LG, probably Carson as he's a rookie. Certainly will be an upgrade at that spot. I'm also wondering if Williams health has become a concern causing the team to take someone who's played LT.

*Carman

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 02:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *Carman

See, I really must not like that pick. I can't even get his name right.

Reply/Quote