Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For you factoid fans..
Did you know.....that when a game in MLB is forfeited (under certain circumstances of course) the score will always be 9-0, one run for each inning(s) of 9 regardless of the actual score of the game upon it being declared forfeited. The winner of course gets the 9 even if it's a no-hitter against them.. The losers?  Nothing and a lot of anguish..
I was reading about the now infamous 10 cent beer night in Cleveland back in the 70s when a riot broke out and both teams had to defend themselves against the drunken mobs with bats.. http://www.espn.com/espn/page1/story?page=beernight/080604
Some mean part of me almost wishes it had happened in Cincinnati, but hey, it's Cleveland. We don't live in Cleveland as Sam Wyche reminds us.. lol

I love the odd stories of baseball..

After checking with baseballrulesacademy.com I guess the above is BS.. I was lead o believe the above by an erroneous writer.. No wait...You can't be erroneous on the internet! That's against the internet rules! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Something different maybe..
Most of us loyal Reds fans grew up playing on a field somewhere. Mine was the field directly behind Parkwood Elementary School in Beavercreek, Ohio right on the border of Green and Montgomery counties not far from US 35. In fact the border was right in our backyard at the time.. That field when I was around 9-10 years old was well maintained with 4 actual diamonds, the two best on either side of the whole field..
That same field today is little more than a poorly maintained thicket. The backstops are all gone and there are no longer anything even remotely resembling base paths. No kids play on that field today to my knowledge, but the question is why? It really wouldn't take a huge investment to reinvigorate the field to make it a half decent baseball field and back in the day it also had a football field in the middle on which we often played on the muddy schlop.. Fun times! 
So what would it take to encourage school officials to put the little investment into mowing the grass, installing new backstops and rolling out new lines that show the field boundaries? 
I no longer live anywhere near that old field, but the general area still has a lot of families with children..
Do you have similar stories of fields you grew up playing on that are now little more than wasted space? I'm not suggesting huge investments, but minor investments might go a long way to making life at least fun for the next generation of kids.. 
Just in case you're wondering where it's at (I won't blame anyone not interested..) here's the map of the location of Parkwood Elementary school.. I guess someone actually did cut the grass at least.. Last time I was there (about 6-7 years ago) it was in terrible shape.. 
https://goo.gl/maps/G6V3CQpxadJ15uSh8
[Image: Parkwood-field.png]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote