Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forbes and Washington
The Bengals have gotten so much better over the last few years, I credit the combo of Zac and Duke, at using the draft to their advantage and moving up and down to position themselves for target prospects. In this simulation they again use their draft capital to position themselves to select their targeted guys. None of the trades in this scenario were within the criteria set by the NFL Trade Calculator and both are very realistic trades.

*Note: In the trade up with Atlanta the Bengals as well sent Atlanta a 3rd round selection in '24. For some reason other year selections don't appear in the MDD trade recap.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals Draft:

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 28th:

Emmanuel Forbes - CB - Miss. St. - 6'1" 166

There is a single factor keeping Forbes from being a top 15 selection and that is his weight...period. He has the height, the length, the speed, and certainly the ball skills for the position. 14 career interceptions and he has taken 6 of those to the house. Forbes should be expected to put on mass with an NFL nutrition and weight room regimen and his frame should be able to carry more weight while retaining his speed and athleticism. Forbes will be an excellent addition to this group of corners.

RD. 2 - 44th:

Darnell Washington - TE - Georgia - 6'7" 264

The Bengals are able to package their 2nd and 4th selections as well as a 3rd round selection in the '24 draft to move up in the second to select a player many considered either a first or fringe first round prospect. Irv Smith Jr. may well be the starting TE because of his experience but the selection of Washington is their TE1 for '24 and beyond and a guy that is going to see a lot of snaps in '23. Washington should be able to create substantial matchup issues as a receiver and this should be even more so as he continues to develop the receiving aspect of his game. From a blocking standpoint Washington is liken to having a 6th lineman on the field and creates great opportunity in short yardage and goal line packages as he would have to be accounted for as a receiver as well by the defense.

RD. 3 - 97th:

Zach Evans - RB - Ole Miss - 5'11" 202

The Bengals take advantage of Washington wanting to move up and obtain another selection in the 5th round while still hitting on a targeted player that fits their team and their needs. Zach Evans seems to be a forgotten back by many in this draft but is a player that will fit very well in the Bengals offense. Evans played the entire '22 season which should put to bed the injury concerns from previous seasons. The selection of Evans should end the career of Joe Mixon with the Bengals and make him a June 1st cut allowing cap space for extensions as well as distancing the Bengals from the off the field concerns.

RD. 4 - 113th:

Karl Brooks - DT - Bowling Green - 6'4" 300

The Bengals need to translate pressures to sacks or turnovers and more disruption from the interior of the D line could be what makes the difference. The Bengals have been searching for their next great 3 technique since Geno left and Brooks could well be that guy. Brooks was a two time captain for the Falcons which is an important part of the resume for Zac and his staff. Brooks moved around the Falcons front in '22 and was able to generate 10 sacks. Brooks having the opportunity to work with a line coach like Hobby should be a real benefit for Brooks and I would expect to see immediate meaningful snaps for Brooks as a rookie.

RD. 5 - 150th:

Chandler Zavala - G - N.C. State - 6'3" 322

To convert the extra 5th round selection into a player of this caliber is a huge win for the Bengals. Zavala hit a homerun at his Pro Day and for those who follow RAS he scored at 9.95 with elite scoring for composite speed and agility. Zavala is a powerful blocker that can win with natural strength of with agility and athleticism. This is a selection that could relegate Volson to backup at OG and RT. I do not see Zavala on the bench in '23. Joe should sleep much better after this selection.

RD. 5 - 163rd:

Wanya Morris - OT - Oklahoma - 6'5" 307

Again, the draft falls the Bengals way allowing them to add another excellent selection on the offensive line. While Morris may not be in the same position to capture a starting position in '23 he adds great depth at swing tackle as well as legit competition for the starting RT position in '24. Morris brings really good size, length, power, and athleticism to the position and at the worst adds a quality of depth to this unit that the Bengals have been missing. Should easily push Adeniji or Smith off the roster and could as well make a cut of Collins with an injury settlement that much more plausible.

RD. 6 - 206th:

Davis Allen - TE - Clemson - 6'6" 246

The Bengals double up at TE when a talent like Allen is still on the board. Allen is a decent blocker but this aspect of his game should improve as he adds strength and mass in the weight room and with a NFL training program. Where the strength of Allen lies at this time is when the ball leaves the hand of the QB. Allen attacks the ball and catches virtually everything thrown at him and instinctively knows how to use his body in the receiving game. I could see Allen pushing Asiasi or Sample off of the roster but if he doesn't I am not sure he would clear waivers to make it to the practice squad as he is too talented as a receiver.

RD. 7 - 246th:

Deneric Prince - RB - Tulsa - 6'0" 216

Outstanding size and speed combination and has really good hands as a receiver. I believe Prince may well be the most underrated back in this class and a trio of Evans, Williams, and Prince should make for one hell of a room. Prince needs to work on his awareness and technique in pass protection but he has the traits that would lead you to believe that these are very coachable aspects for him. This selection ends an excellent draft for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Great job, this may actually be my favorite mock draft of the year. We can only hope that it goes down something like this.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Zac won’t draft Evans he’s as far from a team guy as they come. He’s moved around in college. He may have matured but his high school coach really has poor things to say about him. It’s not that he doesn’t play hard or work hard just typical of some 5 star high school recruits that are me first guys. They did bring him in for a look and interview. But after they do their extensive due diligence he’s a 86.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 08:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Great job, this may actually be my favorite mock draft of the year.  We can only hope that it goes down something like this.

I would be absolutely thrilled!
Reply/Quote
Would rather have Kuntz than Washington. Brooks will probably be available in the later rounds. For RB’s, if Robinson falls it’s a no brainer, but I seriously doubt that happens. Would like to target Gibbs or Spears. I just don’t think Washington is going to be a good pro. That’s just my opinion which means absolutely nothing. If we do draft him, I hope like hell I’m wrong. I didn’t care for LaPorta at all, but the more I watch the more I would be happy with the pick. Same with Kraft. So who knows.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2023, 10:27 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Would rather have Kuntz than Washington. Brooks will probably be available in the later rounds. For RB’s, if Robinson falls it’s a no brainer, but I seriously doubt that happens. Would like to target Gibbs or Spears. I just don’t think Washington is going to be a good pro. That’s just my opinion which means absolutely nothing. If we do draft him, I hope like hell I’m wrong. I didn’t care for LaPorta at all, but the more I watch the more I would be happy with the pick. Same with Kraft. So who knows.

I think Washington is going to be a really good pro and I do not even think the surface of his receiving abilities has been scratched. That is the thing about Kuntz is that he is nothing but a big wide receiver and is a liability in the blocking aspect of his game. I have even see evaluations where they suggest the practice squad for him until he can start to develop. I am not a LaPorta fan at all but if they do not get Washington then I am all in on Tucker Kraft and in the later rounds I really like Cameron Latu and Davis Allen.

I like Spears a lot but he was gone at the time that Evans was selected. I would not count on Brooks being available much below where I selected him. He put on a dominant performance at the Senior Bowl and he is a leader. 
Reply/Quote