Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forget Covering Senior Bowl
.....If Bengals are back in Super Bowl.

Do not pull coaches or anybody away from trying to Win the Super Bowl.

In the 4-12 years the Senior Bowl was a big deal for Bengals

But being the First Bengals team to win The Super Bowl is Bigger.

When you are this close and have The Team to Win, you do not send your coaches away to see how well college players put on their jock strap and such in practice week. Better be practicing and getting ready for Super Bowl, these chances to win it all don't come very often. All focus must be on Super Bowl, no distraction with these Senior Bowl type things. The only reason for Draft Day is in hopes of someday reaching Super Bowl. On reaching Super Bowl, you do not waste your time or focus on Draft Day, you keep your eye on Winning It All, while you have the opportunity.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I don't think any of our coaches went last year. I don't even know if Duke joined the scouts in Mobile.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 01:51 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't think any of our coaches went last year. I don't even know if Duke joined the scouts in Mobile.

Good to hear.  

Some on this site are talking contracts and who gets kept and who to draft.  That was the 4-12 Bengals.   When you are only 2 games away from being Super Bowl Champions, that has to be the focus.  Maybe not for some on this site, but the coaches should not have to leave the team to scout college exhibition games.  All coaches and focus must be on winning the next 2 games.  The Chiefs and either 49ers or Eagles will need coaches undivided attention.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Coaches don’t have to be there. Plenty of tape to review for any player of interest. Need to keep focus on this Sunday!
Reply/Quote
For sure, the Bengals leveraging the Senior Bowl is now shifting to delay caring about it because the coaches are giving attention to playoff runs and Super Bowls. Duke and his other front office staff have to account for the Sr. Bowl on their own during this time of year for Zac and his staff.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 10:18 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: For sure, the Bengals leveraging the Senior Bowl is now shifting to delay caring about it because the coaches are giving attention to playoff runs and Super Bowls. Duke and his other front office staff have to account for the Sr. Bowl on their own during this time of year for Zac and his staff.

The League made it tougher on small scouting departments. The East West Shrine Week and Senior Bowl week are kinda now over a 10 day period instead of a 14 day period like in the past. The Bengals scouting department will likely fly out of LV to Mobile after the final Shine Practice and not stay for the game. Of course the game tape will be easily available.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 10:31 AM)Synric Wrote: The League made it tougher on small scouting departments. The East West Shrine Week and Senior Bowl week are kinda now over a 10 day period instead of a 14 day period like in the past. The Bengals scouting department will likely fly out of LV to Mobile after the final Shine Practice and not stay for the game. Of course the game tape will be easily available.

I'm just happy we're not in a position for Zac to coach the game stemming from the Bengals being the worst team in the AFC. 
Reply/Quote
Who y'all want to know about ill get the scoop! lol
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 02:00 AM)kevin Wrote: Good to hear.  

Some on this site are talking contracts and who gets kept and who to draft.  That was the 4-12 Bengals.   When you are only 2 games away from being Super Bowl Champions, that has to be the focus.  Maybe not for some on this site, but the coaches should not have to leave the team to scout college exhibition games.  All coaches and focus must be on winning the next 2 games.  The Chiefs and either 49ers or Eagles will need coaches undivided attention.

Those of us who talk about contracts, who stays, and who to draft are not employed by the Bengals, so what else is there to talk about?
It gets stale talking about the current team every week.
Free agency and the draft are two very different things from the normal in-season talk.

You mention that the scouts should be the ones to focus on these collegiate bowl games and let the coaches coach, but that's difficult when you have the smallest scouting department in the entire league.

I'm sure someone from the scouting department will go to the Senior Bowl.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Those of us who talk about contracts, who stats, and who to draft are not employed by the Bengals, so what else is there to talk about?

Not much when a dude like you ruins the first three rounds of the draft.  Hilarious

[Image: graphics-soothsayers-159394.gif]

The draft is your world, guru ochocincos.
Reply/Quote
No, I'm going to post now. People looking at the draft like this is the 4-12 Bengals still.

Here is the deal. 2 things. Bengals are in AFC Championship again, so they will draft in last 4 spots. I hope they win Super Bowl and draft last. The second thing is Joe Burrow is about to become the highest paid player in NFL in 2023 and for many years. That means salary cap and payroll will make is not possible to keep some of other players. This brings up the difference between signing a 1st round pick and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. With Bengals having one of last picks in Round One, trade back to sign a cheaper college pick. The savings will be needed to pay Burrow, and try to keep some other key players.

People got Bengalized by the many 4-12 season and some still think of draft day only. Except Bengals are again in AFC Championship and trying to go Super Bowl back to back years, and this year win Super Bowl. Then in off season the A number 1 thing is to resign Burrow, and he will end up highest paid player ever in NFL, him and Mahomes. To not resign Burrow would be silly, he is the future of this franchise still young. So payroll cuts must be made elsewhere. Since paying 1st Round money to such a late pick is a bad money move, then trade out of round one and dump pick 29 to 32. That right there will save Bengals first round money to help pay Burrow as highest paid player in NFL.

So The AFC Championship and hopefully The Super Bowl and then resigning Joe Burrow are the things facing the winning dynasty Bengals, and draft not so much anymore, not as when team was in last place every year. The Bengals will not have good draft pick spots. That is for the last place teams. We won't hardly know the names of who Bengals take in late April, all Round 3 to round 7 type players, but I'm sure the Bengals will find some mid to late round players to fit Bengals needs. Players not on most fans radar.

While Bengals have all this team before they have to cut players to pay Burrow, Win the Super Bowl NOW, while they have the Defense and Offense and coaches to do it. That is the other thing. Teams will want Bengals top coaches to be their head coach. So win The Super Bowl NOW with this great team. That is the focus. I'm sure Zac and Tobin aren't even thinking draft so close to Super Bowl. After season they will have to do whatever to pay Burrow, probably largest NFL salary ever. There goes your salary cap, and why they shouldn't even want a very late 1st Round pick. Don't pay such a late pick 1st Round money, dump that pick and trade back. 2nd Round money is less than 1st Round, and Burrow must be resigned.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Agree and you can see that in the contracts for Dax and Cam from last year - the difference (Dax - 4 year 11.66M and Cam -4 year 5.95) is roughly 5.7M over 4 years. Obviously it takes two to trade but I recall the Patriots doing that (trading from late in rd 1 to mid rid 2) for years when they were trying to keep their key players together. The salary difference may not be huge but will help as they try to keep key players here (while still getting a strong player in Rd 2).

With that said, all of that is off if a stud that they love drops to them late in Rd1.

And lastly, can wait for Sunday! Still fully in the season while being so excited for their future.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2023, 05:23 AM)kevin Wrote: No, I'm going to post now. People looking at the draft like this is the 4-12 Bengals still.

Here is the deal. 2 things. Bengals are in AFC Championship again, so they will draft in last 4 spots. I hope they win Super Bowl and draft last. The second thing is Joe Burrow is about to become the highest paid player in NFL in 2023 and for many years. That means salary cap and payroll will make is not possible to keep some of other players. This brings up the difference between signing a 1st round pick and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. With Bengals having one of last picks in Round One, trade back to sign a cheaper college pick. The savings will be needed to pay Burrow, and try to keep some other key players.

People got Bengalized by the many 4-12 season and some still think of draft day only. Except Bengals are again in AFC Championship and trying to go Super Bowl back to back years, and this year win Super Bowl. Then in off season the A number 1 thing is to resign Burrow, and he will end up highest paid player ever in NFL, him and Mahomes. To not resign Burrow would be silly, he is the future of this franchise still young. So payroll cuts must be made elsewhere. Since paying 1st Round money to such a late pick is a bad money move, then trade out of round one and dump pick 29 to 32. That right there will save Bengals first round money to help pay Burrow as highest paid player in NFL.

So The AFC Championship and hopefully The Super Bowl and then resigning Joe Burrow are the things facing the winning dynasty Bengals, and draft not so much anymore, not as when team was in last place every year. The Bengals will not have good draft pick spots. That is for the last place teams. We won't hardly know the names of who Bengals take in late April, all Round 3 to round 7 type players, but I'm sure the Bengals will find some mid to late round players to fit Bengals needs. Players not on most fans radar.

While Bengals have all this team before they have to cut players to pay Burrow, Win the Super Bowl NOW, while they have the Defense and Offense and coaches to do it. That is the other thing. Teams will want Bengals top coaches to be their head coach. So win The Super Bowl NOW with this great team. That is the focus. I'm sure Zac and Tobin aren't even thinking draft so close to Super Bowl. After season they will have to do whatever to pay Burrow, probably largest NFL salary ever. There goes your salary cap, and why they shouldn't even want a very late 1st Round pick. Don't pay such a late pick 1st Round money, dump that pick and trade back. 2nd Round money is less than 1st Round, and Burrow must be resigned.

Trading out of the first is not going to make you that much difference in $ compared to what they are going to have to pay Burrow. If there’s a guy there they like then take him but if you get a good value trade then do it. Saving a couple million won’t matter and you lose a year of having the player under a rookie contract after the first round so there’s really not a huge benefit financially if the player ends up being good.

It’s very important that they get quality players with these late picks because their vets are going to be expensive going forward. That’s the downside to being a great team - you can’t pay everybody.

I don't think anyone on here thinks of the draft only. I just think some enjoy the process and watching how the team gets built. I know I do but it doesn’t mean we won’t be glued to the game on Sunday. We are not players and coaches so we can read/talk about the draft during the playoffs and still enjoy the run and hopefully a SB championship.
I just think it’s ridiculous to tell people that they shouldn’t talk about the draft because the Bengals are still alive in the postseason. We are just fans so we can enjoy everything Bengals and it won’t affect anything.
Reply/Quote