Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Milwaukee Brewers trade for Christian Yelich
It wasn't so much spoken about here, but a lot of people on other sites have been talking about the Reds trading for Christian Yelich this off season to help them get back to winning Baseball.

He has been a consistent producer, already racking up 17.7 WAR in his 5 years in the league with a career stat line of .290/.369/.432 and he has an extremely team friendly contract (4 years, $43.25 million), so on the surface it made sense.

The big contention was what he would take to get, in terms or prospects.

Well, the Brewers just traded for him tonight.

They gave up their #1 and #6 prospect, who were ranked #13 and #86 nationally, as well as two other prospects, one of which was ranked #14 in their system.

The equivalent prospects from our system would be Nick Senzel, ranked 9th nationally, and one of either Tyler Mahle or Jesse Winker, ranked 78th and 100th nationally respectively. If it was Mahle, we would probably only need to give up 1 more prospect, say a Tony Santillan or Jeter Downs level prospect. If it were Winker, we'd probably have to give up either a higher rated prospect, like a Shed Long or Tyler Stephenson, or two lower rated prospects, like a Santillan and Fairchild.

Now, it's important to note that the Brewers were rated to have a better farm system than us, so the equivalent prospects in our system would probably not be as good of value overall.

So let's say it would cost us Nick Senzel (or maybe Hunter Greene), Tyler Mahle and Jeter Downs to get him.

Would you do that trade?

Because I wouldn't...
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t do that trade either. Would liked to have yelich tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wouldn't make this trade.

Offense is not our biggest problem and we are more than one player away from being getting back to winning..
Reply/Quote
At least the Reds aren't as bad as the dumpster fire that is the Pirates.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
To be on a different side of the coin, I'd do the trade in a heartbeat;

- Solid, above average starter at a position of need.
- Good contract (as mentioned), no arbitration.
- Athletic body with good tools, room to grow and not injury-prone.

The biggest point of all:

- Prospects pan out 1/5 of the time and the Reds are not the best at growing talent.

Trade that in a second.

Aside from the RA Dickey trade (which is clearly one of the stupidest deals made in the modern era), I can't think of a single Jays' trade of the past 25 years, where we got or "protected," prospects and they did significantly less than the already established guys.

That Roy Halladay trade was also one of the worst trades in the modern era.

And people actually think that Anthopolous is a genius of some sort...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 05:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: To be on a different side of the coin, I'd do the trade in a heartbeat;

- Solid, above average starter at a position of need.
- Good contract (as mentioned), no arbitration.
- Athletic body with good tools, room to grow and not injury-prone.

The biggest point of all:

- Prospects pan out 1/5 of the time and the Reds are not the best at growing talent.

Trade that in a second.

Aside from the RA Dickey trade (which is clearly one of the stupidest deals made in the modern era), I can't think of a single Jays' trade of the past 25 years, where we got or "protected," prospects and they did significantly less than the already established guys.

That Roy Halladay trade was also one of the worst trades in the modern era.

And people actually think that Anthopolous is a genius of some sort...

If we are going to give up prospects it better be for pitching instead of position players.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 07:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If we are going to give up prospects it better be for pitching instead of position players.

True, you guys are fairly set... for home runs.

Duvall and Schebler are only good for that; not stellar defenders and strike out exorbitantly...
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 08:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: True, you guys are fairly set... for home runs.

Duvall and Schebler are only good for that; not stellar defenders and strike out exorbitantly...

I agree with everything except Duvall is a pretty damn good outfielder.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I’m not a fan of Yelich, so I would not have traded for him. The Brewers gave up Brinson who isn’t as far along as Yelich developmentally, but I think has a much higher ceiling. Same goes for Senzel over Yelich.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't have done it. This team is a lot farther away from contending than we want to admit, and Yelich isn't going to put them over the top.

Unless a few young pitchers pop this year or next, the Reds will continue to be a bottom dweller in the NL central. The Cubs are built like a dynasty-type team. The Brewers improved a lot last year and have added several key pieces to their roster (and murdered the Reds), and St Louis is still St Louis, even if they've done a bit of backsliding. They still have talented young pitchers and have shown that they can develop them. 60 percent of this division looks built to contend. The Reds do not. Might as well see if the young pitchers can pan out before mortgaging the best talent on the farm to get one offensive piece.

Isn't tanking fun?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 08:37 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: True, you guys are fairly set... for home runs.

Yea, but to be fair, Schebler and Duvall are probably going to be rotating at RF over the course of the year, as the projections have Winker starting in LF since he is actually pretty garbage on defense.

We may not have elite players in the corners (or in center, but Hamilton isn't going anywhere for some reason), but we are probably better in the OF than we are on the infield, which is where Senzel fits in.

If we could trade Mahle and Greene for Yelich, I'd probably be all for it. 

High School prospects are much less likely to work out. But Senzel is already getting ready to be called up sometime in 2018, depending on how he does in the minors this year, and I feel relatively safe about him right now.

Maybe that is foolish. A bird in the hand, right? But we are weak enough in the infield (Peraza has potential, but he looked dreadful last year so his star has dimmed a bit) that I would prefer Senzel who could possibly move to 2B or SS or cause Suarez to 2B or SS to help sure up that offensive weakness while also maintaining out home grown prospects.

Losing Mahle or Winker in this trade would not be nothing, nor would the third prospect that we'd give up, though those guys have much higher bust potential.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 08:41 PM)McC Wrote: I agree with everything except Duvall is a pretty damn good outfielder.

(01-26-2018, 09:52 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Yea, but to be fair, Schebler and Duvall are probably going to be rotating at RF over the course of the year, as the projections have Winker starting in LF since he is actually pretty garbage on defense.

We may not have elite players in the corners (or in center, but Hamilton isn't going anywhere for some reason), but we are probably better in the OF than we are on the infield, which is where Senzel fits in.

If we could trade Mahle and Greene for Yelich, I'd probably be all for it. 

High School prospects are much less likely to work out. But Senzel is already getting ready to be called up sometime in 2018, depending on how he does in the minors this year, and I feel relatively safe about him right now.

Maybe that is foolish. A bird in the hand, right? But we are weak enough in the infield (Peraza has potential, but he looked dreadful last year so his star has dimmed a bit) that I would prefer Senzel who could possibly move to 2B or SS or cause Suarez to 2B or SS to help sure up that offensive weakness while also maintaining out home grown prospects.

Losing Mahle or Winker in this trade would not be nothing, nor would the third prospect that we'd give up, though those guys have much higher bust potential.

You guys know your stuff, I commend you.

Admittedly, for Duvall, I was only going off of stats, as I haven't seen enough tape of him here in Canada.
Reply/Quote
Senzel isn't going to be our starting SS. That was nothing more than a floater to potentially be used in a pinch. I Really wish they could have hung on to Zack for at least another year,  but that ship sailed so it appears that it's sink or swim for Peraza. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote