Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formation idea
Defenses are feasting this year so far. Generally they are doing so with deep coverages and great pass rush (or, arguably, increasingly poor offensive line play by most teams because that position is approached differently in college). So how has our team addressed this? We have moved to a shotgun formation and our passing game has been designed for shorter yardage plays. This of course protects the quarterback by being more physically distant from the line so the pass rush takes longer to get there. So what if we took this concept further?

My suggestion is a punting formation. In fact I might even replace our center with our long snapper. Burrow would line up where the punter is. That's right, I'm talking 15 yards back. And every down the ball would be snapped all the way back to Burrow. He would then have more time to throw and the defensive pass rush will wear out faster running all that way every down.

That's it. That's my admittedly gimmicky idea. It is the bye week so I thought it couldn't do any harm to put it out there. Please feel free to respond with thoughts on this or even just light mocking. Smirk

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 2kGNp0q.jpg]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 07:38 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Defenses are feasting this year so far. Generally they are doing so with deep coverages and great pass rush (or, arguably, increasingly poor offensive line play by most teams because that position is approached differently in college). So how has our team addressed this? We have moved to a shotgun formation and our passing game has been designed for shorter yardage plays. This of course protects the quarterback by being more physically distant from the line so the pass rush takes longer to get there. So what if we took this concept further?

My suggestion is a punting formation. In fact I might even replace our center with our long snapper. Burrow would line up where the punter is. That's right, I'm talking 15 yards back. And every down the ball would be snapped all the way back to Burrow. He would then have more time to throw and the defensive pass rush will wear out faster running all that way every down.

That's it. That's my admittedly gimmicky idea. It is the bye week so I thought it couldn't do any harm to put it out there. Please feel free to respond with thoughts on this or even just light mocking.  Smirk
It might give him an extra second to throw, but probably not much more than that, and defensive backs would have more time to react to throws, and not to mention that it would tire out Burrow's arm more.

Basically...............

[Image: giphy.gif]

lol. 

I like thinking outside the box and, like you said, it's bye week, so what else is there to do?

Actually, if we were inside the 10, it might not hurt to have Burrow a bit deeper taking a shotgun snap to give him a little more time since pass rushers just tee-off on third down and better vision, but, outside of that, I don't think it would work too well.
Reply/Quote
Everyone probably thought shotgun formation was a stupid ass idea until someone actually did it.

Not even remotely saying OPs idea would work...just saying don't dismiss something. I'm all for innovation and doing things outside the box.

The goal is to cross the line to score points. However it happens...I don't care.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Indeed it would buy some time, but I'm out on starting 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Well our LS can't block much worse than our C. Let's do it!!
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
You can tell us: you got ahold of Hues old playbook, dincha?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I do think the OP idea is terrible. But I do like the idea of throwing around formation changes. One I just thought of is with short yardage. We've struggled a lot in particular on 3rd and/or 4th and 1. I think in large part because Burrow can't QB sneak. So get him off the field. Direct snap to Mixon and get an extra blocker on the field. Or work with someone like Boyd who has an arm to go under center for our own tush push.
Reply/Quote
He’d have to have Thors arm to even make that palpable.

We’ve got some pretty strong arms and no1 has ever tried this and that is because it would be silly.

Also let’s say we did do it, if a defender has 5-10 yards of head start to rush there’s no way in hell Burrow could make guys miss. They’d be coming too fast
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 08:14 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Indeed it would buy some time, but I'm out on starting 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I think a more realistic idea would be to have 6 lineman in on every pass

But even that is kinda iffy seeing as Sample is the best pass blocking TE in the league statistically.

To get full use out of the idea you’d have to keep Sample in WITH an extra lineman which means you’d only have 2 WRs in on pass plays which just doesn’t seem smart. What would stop teams from just doubling both Chase and Tee and just letting Sample get whatever catches came his way?

The idea in general just doesn’t make enough sense to even try
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 09:51 PM)SladeX Wrote: You can tell us: you got ahold of Hues old playbook, dincha?

Not gonna lie, some of those strange formations where linemen shifted out to where the WRs are intrigued me. They didn't seem to create a whole lot of production though. 

Reply/Quote
Yes seeing Cal trying to block these guys, especially coming out of a long snapper’s position, would be quite entertaining. Until he died.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 07:35 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Not gonna lie, some of those strange formations where linemen shifted out to where the WRs are intrigued me. They didn't seem to create a whole lot of production though. 

If I’m a DB and a lineman comes out that far I’m shitting myself cause i just know it’s a for damn screen right to me lol
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I’m ngl

6 lineman, Sample at FB and 3 WRs does intrigue me

Only because we’re getting such little production from the TE room i don’t see where we would be hurt
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 11:26 AM)Housh Wrote: I’m ngl

6 lineman, Sample at FB and 3 WRs does intrigue me

Only because we’re getting such little production from the TE room i don’t see where we would be hurt

It would work in isolated situations but in thr grand scheme even if the TE isn't giving heavy production they still have to be running routes to create spacing. Curl and Flat basic passing concept is a good example if the TE isn't running the flare or swing then a linebacker can get underneath the WR Curl route.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 08:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well our LS can't block much worse than our C. Let's do it!!

I'm gland someone mentioned C and blocking in this formation.

Let's line Aaron Donald or Jeffrey Simmons up against our LS, who has his head down to snap the ball 15 yards, and see how that works out after the snap. Maybe even blitz a LB right up the middle behind him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2023, 12:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm gland someone mentioned C and blocking in this formation.

Let's line Aaron Donald or Jeffrey Simmons up against our LS, who has his head down to snap the ball 15 yards, and see how that works out after the snap. Maybe even blitz a LB right up the middle behind him. 

Can you imagine Nick Bosa chasing Burrow with a 15 yard head start? Lol

Lord
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 07:38 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Defenses are feasting this year so far. Generally they are doing so with deep coverages and great pass rush (or, arguably, increasingly poor offensive line play by most teams because that position is approached differently in college). So how has our team addressed this? We have moved to a shotgun formation and our passing game has been designed for shorter yardage plays. This of course protects the quarterback by being more physically distant from the line so the pass rush takes longer to get there. So what if we took this concept further?

That's it. That's my admittedly gimmicky idea. It is the bye week so I thought it couldn't do any harm to put it out there. Please feel free to respond with thoughts on this or even just light mocking.  Smirk
With all due respect, and I mean all due respect, that idea ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on...
Reply/Quote
Hear me out: 6 WRs and no QB. See how the defense lines up and have one of the WRs off the ball motion into the backfield and take a running snap.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 08:27 AM)treee Wrote: Hear me out: 6 WRs and no QB. See how the defense lines up and have one of the WRs off the ball motion into the backfield and take a running snap.

Or even Chris Evans?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote