Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formation idea
Do we have a personal protector blocking half way just like a punter has....I guess that would be a running back getting a direct snap at times.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A great thing about the formation suggested by the OP: We could just have JB punt on 2nd down; they'd never expect it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If you watch Mahomes he's consistently dropping back 4-5 steps compared to Burrow 3 steps. As defenders get near him he moves up in the pocket and creates.

Why more QB's do not do this is beyond me.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2023, 07:38 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Defenses are feasting this year so far. Generally they are doing so with deep coverages and great pass rush (or, arguably, increasingly poor offensive line play by most teams because that position is approached differently in college). So how has our team addressed this? We have moved to a shotgun formation and our passing game has been designed for shorter yardage plays. This of course protects the quarterback by being more physically distant from the line so the pass rush takes longer to get there. So what if we took this concept further?

My suggestion is a punting formation. In fact I might even replace our center with our long snapper. Burrow would line up where the punter is. That's right, I'm talking 15 yards back. And every down the ball would be snapped all the way back to Burrow. He would then have more time to throw and the defensive pass rush will wear out faster running all that way every down.

That's it. That's my admittedly gimmicky idea. It is the bye week so I thought it couldn't do any harm to put it out there. Please feel free to respond with thoughts on this or even just light mocking.  Smirk

Bengals have been running primarily out of shotgun since Taylor arrived in 2019.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 09:34 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Do we have a personal protector blocking half way just like a punter has....I guess that would be a running back getting a direct snap at times.

On those series where he gets sacked on 2nd and third down, this might actually result in better field position.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
Discussions like this are fun to me.  OP had a cool idea TBH.  Maybe someone like Jake Cutler or Carson Palmer could've actually done some damage with this sort of philosophy if football were a different game in a different world.  Imagine if the field were longer and more narrow.  Plenty of the QBs who we know as being great probably would've been less great relative to the competition with different field geometry.  Who was that ding-dong who threw a bomb from his knees during the pre-draft process?  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2023, 04:14 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Discussions like this are fun to me.  OP had a cool idea TBH.  Maybe someone like Jake Cutler or Carson Palmer could've actually done some damage with this sort of philosophy if football were a different game in a different world.  Imagine if the field were longer and more narrow.  Plenty of the QBs who we know as being great probably would've been less great relative to the competition with different field geometry.  Who was that ding-dong who threw a bomb from his knees during the pre-draft process?  

The great JaMarcus Russell…

I just googled him and he’s only 38 - worth a look???
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2023, 08:27 AM)treee Wrote: Hear me out: 6 WRs and no QB. See how the defense lines up and have one of the WRs off the ball motion into the backfield and take a running snap.

If Mixon isn’t the QB I’m putting 8 on the line and daring us to snap that ball.

Plays with exotic setups like that are hard to get off.

I’d much prefer that jet motion come out of a more orthodox formation

Kinda kills the element of surprise
-Housh
Reply/Quote