Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Bengal David Pollack
David Pollack, one of those "what might have been" players in Bengals history, was part of yesterday's layoffs by ESPN.

David went into broadcasting once his broken neck proved to be career-ending. Most recently he was one of the (better) hosts of ESPN's College Gameday

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 10:48 AM)pally Wrote: David Pollack, one of those "what might have been" players in Bengals history, was part of yesterday's layoffs by ESPN.

David went into broadcasting once his broken neck proved to be career-ending.  Most recently he was one of the (better) hosts of ESPN's College Gameday

Disney is going to regret how they handled these layoffs.  The talent they let go was fairly amazing.

Good job getting rid of Keyshawn though....he was and is an idiot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
David Pollack was the player that I wanted that year, and they took him! I was elated. The guy gets injured, turns on the organization, and then becomes an SEC homer analyst.

No thank you. That guy is a DB.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 02:47 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: David Pollack was the player that I wanted that year, and they took him! I was elated. The guy gets injured, turns on the organization, and then becomes an SEC homer analyst.

You are going to blame him for hating on the old org under Mikey Boy and getting his neck broke and getting fired and you call him a DB...

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 08:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are going to blame him for hating on the old org under Mikey Boy and getting his neck broke and getting fired and you call him a DB...

Mellow

Football is a violent profession. He knew the risks when he became a millionaire. He hates on the Bengals, and he hates on every conference in college football with the exception of the one he played in.

He'll land on his feet. Probably with his beloved SEC network. The NFL has had players receive injuries that left them paralyzed or dead, and they still handled the adversity better than DP.  AKA Ryan Shazier, Damar Hamlin, Chucky Mullins. Ts, I don't wish any ill will on him and hope he lands on his feet.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 09:51 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Football is a violent profession. He knew the risks when he became a millionaire. He hates on the Bengals, and he hates on every conference in college football with the exception of the one he played in.

He'll land on his feet. Probably with his beloved SEC network. The NFL has had players receive injuries that left them paralyzed or dead, and they still handled the adversity better than DP.  AKA Ryan Shazier, Damar Hamlin, Chucky Mullins. Ts, I don't wish any ill will on him and hope he lands on his feet.

Cool Coach, I just understand David's plight a touch. Always liked him as a player and an analyst. 

Didn't like the way Carson Palmer hated on us after we traded him but David Pollack got his neck broke and was playing when we had
arguably the worst owner in the NFL running things. I can understand a touch of hate towards that. Thank God we have different people
running our team towards the Lombardi now.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 10:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool Coach, I just understand David's plight a touch. Always liked him as a player and an analyst. 

Didn't like the way Carson Palmer hated on us after we traded him but David Pollack got his neck broke and was playing when we had
arguably the worst owner in the NFL running things. I can understand a touch of hate towards that. Thank God we have different people

You're not wrong. He was a damn good player (especially at UGA) before the injury. Dude caught an awful break with the neck injury, no pun intended. 
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 01:57 PM)Stewy Wrote: Disney is going to regret how they handled these layoffs.  The talent they let go was fairly amazing.

Good job getting rid of Keyshawn though....he was and is an idiot.

Yup ThumbsUp

It's amazing to me that guy lasted as long as he did.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 10:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cool Coach, I just understand David's plight a touch. Always liked him as a player and an analyst. 

What's the difference between Palmer and Pollack? Palmer gave a knee and elbow for the same shitty owner and the two situations happened not that far apart. 

I don't really see the difference between the two. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 01:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What's the difference between Palmer and Pollack? Palmer gave a knee and elbow for the same shitty owner and the two situations happened not that far apart. 

Palmer gets a lot of unnecessary flak IMO. You're right, he sacrificed his body and potentially his career for what he believed was right. Palmer's fight was with Mike Brown and, if I remember correctly, many people on those old boards (and current boards) had a fight to pick with Mike. 
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 02:47 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: David Pollack was the player that I wanted that year, and they took him! I was elated. The guy gets injured, turns on the organization, and then becomes an SEC homer analyst.

Don't remember that last part, and don't really care much.  

I, like you, was elated when he was the first pick.  I thought his floor was a solid, productive player.  Though I was a bit let down when they converted him to LB, I was still confident he'd be at least solid.  He had some injury issues in his rookie year if I remember correctly, but finished that year fairly strong.  Then comes year two and that fateful game in Cleveland.  Pollack, Richie Braham, and (essentially) Tab Perry lost in that single game.  If my memory is correct it was really his fault the injury happened though, as he did lower his helmet and made contact with the top of it.  Doesn't take away from the tragedy of it though.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 08:03 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Palmer gets a lot of unnecessary flak IMO. You're right, he sacrificed his body and potentially his career for what he believed was right. Palmer's fight was with Mike Brown and, if I remember correctly, many people on those old boards (and current boards) had a fight to pick with Mike. 

Yep. Someone finally stood up to him and he's reviled around here when others have said much worse. It's to be expected though. Being the QB, he's the face of the franchise and the one guy that's looked upon to take the team to the promised land. Pollack was just part of a group of guys. 

When people see their hope walk away, they tend to take it personally. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2023, 10:48 AM)pally Wrote: David Pollack, one of those "what might have been" players in Bengals history, was part of yesterday's layoffs by ESPN.

David went into broadcasting once his broken neck proved to be career-ending.  Most recently he was one of the (better) hosts of ESPN's College Gameday

What is this ESPN you speak of?  Ninja
Reply/Quote
Extra
Sensory
Perception

network
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2023, 01:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What's the difference between Palmer and Pollack? Palmer gave a knee and elbow for the same shitty owner and the two situations happened not that far apart. 

Now Carson is a DB in my book. 

The difference would be one was the face of the Bengals, a Heisman Trophy winner that was selected #1 overall and was paid in excess of a hundred million dollars and always was paid fair market value or more. Bragged in his final presser that he had gotten every cent of that money as well. Thought that was odd per he was stating MB honored his part of the bargain while he was refusing to do so. Does not bother me but his hate for Ohio State doesn't help amongst this fanbase either. Carson also held the entire team hostage while demanding to be traded, leaving the Bengals hanging out to dry after his abysmal last season. Only to see Dalton lead them straight to the Playoffs his first year. Plus are we really comparing Carson's injuries to a broken neck that ended Pollack's career ? Just think the mindsets would be different with no comeback story on one side while the other kept on playing and making big money. Really not a fan of Pollack off the field either, but Carson I really despise lol. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2023, 12:44 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Now Carson is a DB in my book. 

The difference would be one was the face of the Bengals, a Heisman Trophy winner that was selected #1 overall and was paid in excess of a hundred million dollars and always was paid fair market value or more. Bragged in his final presser that he had gotten every cent of that money as well. Thought that was odd per he was stating MB honored his part of the bargain while he was refusing to do so. Does not bother me but his hate for Ohio State doesn't help amongst this fanbase either. Carson also held the entire team hostage while demanding to be traded, leaving the Bengals hanging out to dry after his abysmal last season. Only to see Dalton lead them straight to the Playoffs his first year. Plus are we really comparing Carson's injuries to a broken neck that ended Pollack's career ? Just think the mindsets would be different with no comeback story on one side while the other kept on playing and making big money. Really not a fan of Pollack off the field either, but Carson I really despise lol. 

Why?

The dude wanted to be on a winning team. He knew the team was close and it was close to being a championship team. If you listen to some of the stuff Palmer talked about he was upset with Mike Brown for holding the team back. Not spending in FA, not taking care of players, not being committed to winning. All the same stuff people on the board screamed about for years.

Palmer worked for a terrible boss but he had the ability to do something very few people can do. He told that bad boss he didn't need him and he wasn't going to continue to work for him. I get that people are upset that he walked out on the team but there is no one on this board that if placed in the same situation wouldn't be like, "you know what, I'm done." I'm not going to be mad at him for telling Mike Brown to suck it.

And his hate for OSU is from college days. Not going to be mad at him as I don't like OSU either lol.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2023, 09:51 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Football is a violent profession. He knew the risks when he became a millionaire. He hates on the Bengals, and he hates on every conference in college football with the exception of the one he played in.

I don't think he'll be landing at the SEC Network. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

The difference? Palmer was saying how Burrow might refuse to even play for us. Don't remember Pollack saying such a thing.

Carson seems a little better now and on board with what the Bengals are doing as are about everybody and yeah, you can understand 
both players and why they disliked what was going on here, I just think Carson took it a little overboard while David never did.
Reply/Quote
Did I miss something? What would Pollack have to complain about with the Bengals? Did they try to screw him over on money after he was injured?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2023, 04:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Did I miss something?  What would Pollack have to complain about with the Bengals?  Did they try to screw him over on money after he was injured?

You aren't missing anything, Pollack wasn't just a homer for the team he played for in the NFL where he broke his neck.

That is all. He is a Georgia Bulldog through and through.
Reply/Quote