Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Bengal Rey Maualuga arrested again.
https://www.fox19.com/2021/08/12/ex-bengal-rey-maualuga-arrested-after-driving-through-yards-destroying-mailboxes-nky/

Really hate to see this for the guy. I remember being excited when he fell to the Bengals in the 2nd round. For a few seasons he was a real force on the inside and then he just fell off totally.

Have to wonder if the drinking played a role in his NFL career ending. Sadly, this seems like something he will never shake and get passed.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he was one of my favorites for a while. Seems he can't get out of the bottle though.
Reply/Quote
This is really sad. I remember when he was first arrested years and years back for an alcohol related offense. It appears he's racked up a few since then.

Trying to look on the bright side of this though, the article states that he was apologizing for what he did and mentioned this could put him away for awhile. So he clearly knows and cares about the severity of his problem. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a great thing, but maybe this can serve as the wake up call he needs. Maybe this is his rock bottom, or he's finally forced to have no other choice to deal with this.

What's crazy is that when you hear of someone like Rey, who was drafted over a decade ago, you often think they're old. And he is in football years. But he's only 34. He, God willing, has a lot of life ahead of him. I know quite a few people who transitioned from partying in their 20's into having some problems in their 30's, who ended up getting their shit together. Let's hope that is the case for him. I'll be rooting for him.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is really sad.  I remember when he was first arrested years and years back for an alcohol related offense.  It appears he's racked up a few since then.

Trying to look on the bright side of this though, the article states that he was apologizing for what he did and mentioned this could put him away for awhile.  So he clearly knows and cares about the severity of his problem.  That in and of itself isn't necessarily a great thing, but maybe this can serve as the wake up call he needs.  Maybe this is his rock bottom, or he's finally forced to have no other choice to deal with this.

What's crazy is that when you hear of someone like Rey, who was drafted over a decade ago, you often think they're old.  And he is in football years.  But he's only 34.  He, God willing, has a lot of life ahead of him.  I know quite a few people who transitioned from partying in their 20's into having some problems in their 30's, who ended up getting their shit together.  Let's hope that is the case for him.  I'll be rooting for him.

Yeah, his age stunned me. Really do hope he gets it together and has a long and healthy life passed all the drinking.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:17 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: https://www.fox19.com/2021/08/12/ex-bengal-rey-maualuga-arrested-after-driving-through-yards-destroying-mailboxes-nky/

Really hate to see this for the guy. I remember being excited when he fell to the Bengals in the 2nd round. For a few seasons he was a real force on the inside and then he just fell off totally.

Have to wonder if the drinking played a role in his NFL career ending. Sadly, this seems like something he will never shake and get passed.

at least he was having fun...  Like Rey when he was here...  Wanted Baby Animal though.... lol (in the draft)

Lets hope this is the last time we hear about him for this sort of thing
Reply/Quote
Repeat offender. Hope he doesn't kill anyone. I'm a downer when it comes to DUIs.
Reply/Quote
Shouldn't drink and drive. Stay at home or get a ride or call a taxi or Uber...

Hope he gets over this, this is a problem for him it seems. Always liked Rey and wish him the best. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:29 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, he was one of my favorites for a while. Seems he can't get out of the bottle though.

Same.  Went so far as to by a jersey of his that I wore to games for years.  Sad to hear about this.    
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Also liked Rey. He needs some help though the big fella before he kills someone. Hopefully he can turn things around.
Reply/Quote
Multiple DUIs. No sympathy. Hope he goes away for a while
Reply/Quote
Terrible to see. I met Rey in 2011, disappointing to see someone ruining their life like this. Man, does he look bad. Hopefully he gets help and can straighten himself out.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 04:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Repeat offender. Hope he doesn't kill anyone. I'm a downer when it comes to DUIs.

This. And there’s just absolutely no excuse for it in this day and age (Uber, Lyft, etc).

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 06:55 PM)N_B Wrote: Multiple DUIs. No sympathy. Hope he goes away for a while

Kinda heartless… but overall, I agree. How many chances do you need before you pull your head out of your @$$?

I wish Rey the best but at this point, he should do some time in prison
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 09:13 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Kinda heartless… but overall, I agree. How many chances do you need before you pull your head out of your @$$?

I wish Rey the best but at this point, he should do some time in prison

Not heartless. Imagine if he killed your kid doing that. KNOWINGLY (by subverting the blow test by taking a different car). A SECOND TIME. My dad was an alcoholic. It sucks. But he didn’t endanger people’s lives while doing it. Rey needs to learn. The detail are horrifying
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 09:26 PM)N_B Wrote: Not heartless. Imagine if he killed your kid doing that. KNOWINGLY (by subverting the blow test by taking a different car). A SECOND TIME. My dad was an alcoholic. It sucks. But he didn’t endanger people’s lives while doing it. Rey needs to learn. The detail are horrifying

A close friend of mine went through a tragedy like this. Drunk driver who was also high on meth hit his in-laws (sister/brother). Killed the mother and father, paralyzed their seven year old boy and their 12 year old girl had to have surgery to repair a lacerated colon.

It’s just indefensible and heartbreaking.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 09:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: A close friend of mine went through a tragedy like this. Drunk driver who was also high on meth hit his in-laws (sister/brother). Killed the mother and father, paralyzed their seven year old boy and their 12 year old girl had to have surgery to repair a lacerated colon.

That’s just ***** heartbreaking
Reply/Quote
Sorry, I feel no sympathy for the guy
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 10:21 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Sorry, I feel no sympathy for the guy

If he's had multiple DUIs that likely means he's done it without being caught AND he hasn't hurt anyone yet...the guy is pretty lucky so far and keeps pushing it.  
Reply/Quote
Starting to sound about like my life at his age. I was lucky enough to get my act together and quit drinking entirely..I won't even eat foods with alcohol in the recipe..but I did rack up a bunch of DUIs before addiction became the new normal for me. At times it seems like heroin saved me from myself..
Feels good to have my shit together..
I'd kind of like to sit down with him and explain how life works as you age.. It just doesn't get any easier when you keep doing the same old dumb shit over and over and over and over and....
Pretty obvious he's got some ugly stuff going on in his brain that a jail cell isn't going to fix.. I'm guessing CTE is probably playing pinochle between his ears and nobody seems to want to acknowledge the guy has a diseased brain..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 09:34 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: A close friend of mine went through a tragedy like this. Drunk driver who was also high on meth hit his in-laws (sister/brother). Killed the mother and father, paralyzed their seven year old boy and their 12 year old girl had to have surgery to repair a lacerated colon.

Clinic I still go to for addiction got slapped with a multi million dollar suit a few years ago when a client high on all kinds of stuff plus methadone left the clinic and ran into a vehicle a few blocks away and killed a kid and his grandparents and himself . It's quite a different place than it was a few years ago, but the damage was done. Luckily that kind of stuff isn't the norm and a lot of lives are changed for the better.. Sometimes people need to be locked up for a good long while just for the time to let reality sink in. Sometimes jail just makes it worse.. I have a feeling with no evidence whatsoever that jail ain't gonna help Rey, but it will keep him off the streets..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote