Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Former Ravens WR roasts their OC
Willie Snead recently commented on why veteran WRs don't like to play for Ravens OC Greg Roman. Basically, he said Roam is "run game coordinator" with no creativity in the passing game.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/willie-snead-ravens-receivers-roman-offense/

Snead played for the saints so a lot of his comments were comparing what Sean Payton would do compared to Roman, and this next comment is what makes this post relative to the Bengals. . .

“A lot more motion, shifting, trying to create matchups. Get those 1-on-1 matchups in space. I know Sean wasn’t big into play-action off the run game but he’ll get into that empty set and go five wide and start throwing different types of concepts at you that make defenses start to bite and here comes a wide-open hole across the middle. That’s gameplan specific."

One of the big criticisms I hear from a lot of fans is that the Bengals don't use enough play action. But what Snead is saying is that it is easier to create mismatches and openings in coverage by using all the receivers in routes instead of wasting the RB on a fake run.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Willie Snead recently commented on why veteran WRs don't like to play for Ravens OC Greg Roman. Basically, he said Roam is "run game coordinator" with no creativity in the passing game.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/willie-snead-ravens-receivers-roman-offense/

Snead played for the saints so a lot of his comments were comparing what Sean Payton would do compared to Roman, and this next comment is what makes this post relative to the Bengals. . .

“A lot more motion, shifting, trying to create matchups. Get those 1-on-1 matchups in space. I know Sean wasn’t big into play-action off the run game but he’ll get into that empty set and go five wide and start throwing different types of concepts at you that make defenses start to bite and here comes a wide-open hole across the middle. That’s gameplan specific."

One of the big criticisms I hear from a lot of fans is that the Bengals don't use enough play action. But what Snead is saying is that it is easier to create mismatches and openings in coverage by using all the receivers in routes instead of wasting the RB on a fake run.

Let’s be real here, receivers know Lamar likes running the ball and has a hard time hitting receivers on certain routes.

Lamar can hit the go routes, and little throws to Andrews. Receivers don’t want any part of that if they can help it
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:01 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Let’s be real here, receivers know Lamar likes running the ball and has a hard time hitting receivers on certain routes.

Lamar can hit the go routes, and little throws to Andrews. Receivers don’t want any part of that if they can help it

Spot on
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
One of the most surprising off-season moves I've seen was the Ravens trading Hollywood Brown. Seemed to me he was the perfect compliment to Lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews, and Greg Romans offense. Now the Ravens really don't have that 3rd level play-action receiver.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: ...
One of the big criticisms I hear from a lot of fans is that the Bengals don't use enough play action.  But what Snead is saying is that it is easier to create mismatches and openings in coverage by using all the receivers in routes instead of wasting the RB on a fake run.

This. And it ties into Burrow's empty backfield preference.

Using this approach, however, does require a good line. And some creativity in handling a team that blitzes heavily.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:14 PM)Synric Wrote: One of the most surprising off-season moves I've seen was the Ravens trading Hollywood Brown. Seemed to me he was the perfect compliment to Lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews, and Greg Romans offense. Now the Ravens really don't have that 3rd level play-action receiver.

I’m a Sooner so I’m a big Hollywood fan. But I feel I’m very objective. Brown has dropped a lot of balls. I don’t think he was meshing with somebody with the Ravens. They think Duvernay ( who’s awfully fast too) can replace him. I think the Ravens think Lamar can be more accurate throwing to TE’s. The Ravens can’t live with Lamar in the pocket hitting moving receivers especially if not his first read. They are going to run the ball more. Which based on how we did late in the season on run defense is a good thing. They’ve got to dissuade Lamar from running too much. Their team doesn’t survive w/o a healthy Lamar.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:48 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m a Sooner so I’m a big Hollywood fan. But I feel I’m very objective. Brown has dropped a lot of balls.

I don't think drops were the issue. Brown actually hasn't had a problem with drops, but I have heard this before. I'm not entirely sure where it originated. Since he has entered the league, the league average drop percentage is 5.09%. Brown has a career drop percentage of 4.53%. He had one season where he was above average in drop percentage (2020) but it was only marginal. League average in 2020 was 5.2% and he had a 6% drop percentage. Other than that, he has either been right around average (2021) or significantly better than average (2019). 
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 12:14 PM)Synric Wrote: One of the most surprising off-season moves I've seen was the Ravens trading Hollywood Brown. Seemed to me he was the perfect compliment to Lamar Jackson, Mark Andrews, and Greg Romans offense. Now the Ravens really don't have that 3rd level play-action receiver.

He asked for the trade. He has his 4th year and then 5th year option left before FA and he knew he would never get paid as a top WR in that offense with Lamar Jackson as his QB. He knows that could be the difference between getting a 4yr/$72m deal and potentially a 5yr/$125m deal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like all this controversy with Lamar and that Offense. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 01:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I don't think drops were the issue. Brown actually hasn't had a problem with drops, but I have heard this before. I'm not entirely sure where it originated. Since he has entered the league, the league average drop percentage is 5.09%. Brown has a career drop percentage of 4.53%. He had one season where he was above average in drop percentage (2020) but it was only marginal. League average in 2020 was 5.2% and he had a 6% drop percentage. Other than that, he has either been right around average (2021) or significantly better than average (2019). 

I don't know about Brown, but not all drops are created equal.  A WR who really doesn't drop a lot of passes can get that reputation if he happens to drop a couple of passes at a crucial points in a game or in the end zone.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 01:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He asked for the trade. He has his 4th year and then 5th year option left before FA and he knew he would never get paid as a top WR in that offense with Lamar Jackson as his QB. He knows that could be the difference between getting a 4yr/$72m deal and potentially a 5yr/$125m deal.

Yea... I just spent some time reading about the situation and apparently Brown wasn't happy about the Offensive scheme not that I blame him. There has been alot of talk about how much the WR's hate Baltimore since Greg Roman took over but nothing is going to happen as long as they are successful as they are on the ground (discounting last year because of injuries).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 02:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea... I just spent some time reading about the situation and apparently Brown wasn't happy about the Offensive scheme not that I blame him. There has been alot of talk about how much the WR's hate Baltimore since Greg Roman took over but nothing is going to happen as long as they are successful as they are on the ground (discounting last year because of injuries).

Not good for the Ravens, all this WR hate of the system. You need to be able to pass the ball even if you can run it.

We just need to stay disciplined and keep Lamar in the pocket, same with every Defense that plays them.

If he beats you passing the ball so be it. Gonna be hard though with no WR's that want to play in that Roman system lol
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2022, 02:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Yea... I just spent some time reading about the situation and apparently Brown wasn't happy about the Offensive scheme not that I blame him. There has been alot of talk about how much the WR's hate Baltimore since Greg Roman took over but nothing is going to happen as long as they are successful as they are on the ground (discounting last year because of injuries).

But one big reason they have such impressive rushing numbers is that Jackson carries the ball 150 times a year.  I just don't think he can stay healthy at that rate.  A RB can play with a nicked up elbow, wrist, or finger; but a QB can't.  Any minor injury can make a QB useless or at least much less effective.

As I said before I have been blown away by Jackson since his college days.  He can actually throw the ball better than he gets credit for.  But as long as he depends on his legs so much he won't take his passing game to a higher level.  And the Ravens coaching staff don't seem to be that concerned.
Reply/Quote