Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Formula for Constructing a Team to Win in Current NFL
So we know that rule changes favor offense. We see that college has went pass happy and the NFL seems to be following. So what kind of roster wins?

I'd say:

Offense:
QB - You need a QB who can spread the ball around well. I'm not going to say that you need a Top 5 QB to win, but you need a guy who doesn't make a lot of mistakes and turn the ball over. Ideally on a rookie contract, but that's tough. That gives you more money to spend at other positions.

RB - A versatile guy who can run for 1000 yards but is also a receiving threat is important. You need a decent young back backing this guy up.

TE - A TE has to block, but also being somewhat of a receiving threat is key. I'd say a guy like Jesse James from Pittsburgh embodies this.

WR - You need a good #1 WR, then 2-3 above average guys that can catch the ball besides him. The #1 would get doubled, then the ball needs spread around besides that.

OL - You need an oline that can pass block 1st and foremost. You don't need elite guys, but you need above average. You may be able to get by with 1 subpar guy, but you definitely can't with 2+.

Defense -
DLine - You need a DLine that can generate pressure. Sacks and splash plays are key. Force turnovers.

LB - You need light, fast guys that can run and cover. Sure tacklers also.

Secondary - You need speedy guys that can cover and generate Turnovers. You're not going to totally stop teams in the NFL...so you have to generate turnovers and big plays that way.

Thoughts? Additions? Anything you disagree with?
Reply/Quote
The right coach(es) probably ought to be part of the consideration..  You can have all the greatest players in the history of football, but with an idiot for a coach or coaches you may not get that fancy ring.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think based on my 1st post that our offense is actually closer than our defense.

Our defense doesn't have the right formula at LB. D-Line depends on Lawson, Hubbard, and Willis really. IF they can be solid pass rushers, that's a big thing.

Then, in the secondary our CB's don't really have many interceptions.

Offense, it's all about the line. But, we also need a more reliable #3 WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:59 PM)grampahol Wrote: The right coach(es) probably ought to be part of the consideration..  You can have all the greatest players in the history of football, but with an idiot for a coach or coaches you may not get that fancy ring.. 

Yep. Just look at who was in the Super Bowl. The GOAT, and the best young coach in the game.

Reply/Quote
Quarterback

Coach

Reply/Quote
The Saints have Michael Thomas who is a really good WR, but man Brees gets the ball to so many different WR's. That's a great model.

That said, a guy like Metcalf would make our WR's really great.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: LB - You need light, fast guys that can run and cover. Sure tacklers also.

Belicheat already showed what happens when you go with light fast guys. He puts the power game in and runs it down your throat. You need fast cover guys, but you also still need thumpers capable of taking on the fullback and half backs when they run it up the middle.....
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 03:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Belicheat already showed what happens when you go with light fast guys. He puts the power game in and runs it down your throat. You need fast cover guys, but you also still need thumpers capable of taking on the fullback and half backs when they run it up the middle.....

I don't know that what the Patriots is definitive proof that having faster, light LB's fail.

I think that with time to prepare that coaches can mitigate against it.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 03:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Belicheat already showed what happens when you go with light fast guys. He puts the power game in and runs it down your throat. You need fast cover guys, but you also still need thumpers capable of taking on the fullback and half backs when they run it up the middle.....

Both the Chiefs and the Rams discovered this the hard way. Old Fashioned Power Football.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 03:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Both the Chiefs and the Rams discovered this the hard way. Old Fashioned Power Football.

Well we have big, plodding LB's and not only could we not stop the run, but our linebackers gave up some 1840 yards receiving.
Reply/Quote
I think that offensively, while having an efficient, effective passing game is key to putting up points and making the opposing offense one dimensional, you still need to be able to line up and power your way to 1st downs on 3rd and 3 or 4th and 2, with confidence. Being able to run the ball when you want to, as opposed to "catching the defense off guard", is very important, even in today's pass happy league.

Defensively, the same deal. You must, first and foremost, be able to stop the run with regularity. Yes, the D-Line should be able to get after the passer, the secondary should be fast, agile, and alert. When it comes to LBs (in general) just focus on open field tackling ability, alertness and agility. Forget all about profiles of size, 40 speed, etc., the LB has to have one ability above all others, to be able to put a man on the ground, weather he's rushing the ball or receiving it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 03:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well we have big, plodding LB's and not only could we not stop the run, but our linebackers gave up some 1840 yards receiving.

Actually last season we pretty much had Vigil out there by himself, as with Brown hurt and Burflict out a lot between injury and suspension we had goobers like Nickerson getting lots of snaps.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 01:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. Just look at who was in the Super Bowl. The GOAT, and the best young coach in the game.

We still don't know how Zac will fare. I hope he does great, but until he does he's just a young coach. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What this team is missing most is a front office that has winning a SB as its driving goal and purpose and a SB consumes its focus 24/7. In fact, I doubt our front office has even considered the possibility that it could win a SB - this year. Sure it talks about it from time to time, but certainly not even every year, yet Mike Brown doesn't really believe he'll lead this team to a SB.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 01:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think based on my 1st post that our offense is actually closer than our defense.

Our defense doesn't have the right formula at LB. D-Line depends on Lawson, Hubbard, and Willis really. IF they can be solid pass rushers, that's a big thing.

Then, in the secondary our CB's don't really have many interceptions.

Offense, it's all about the line. But, we also need a more reliable #3 WR.

I actually think the defense is 1 player away - a linebacker that can cover and enforce against the run.

Lawson, Hubbard, Dunlap, Geno, Billings and Glasgow are good enough to win.  The secondary is above average as well.

The offense is 3 linemen away - and it seems that the team isn't really intent on going out and filling the holes.
Reply/Quote
Deep lines, deep receivers, at least some impact players on D, elite coaching. QB is obviously huge, but is very dependent on coaching/scheme. With a non-elite qb, a complete roster is a requisite.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 03:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know that what the Patriots is definitive proof that having faster, light LB's fail.

I think that with time to prepare that coaches can mitigate against it.

That is also why you have a base package and a nickel.  The problem was our starters for our base package were out injured and our nickel exposed the lack of depth even more because they are worse in coverage.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 12:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we know that rule changes favor offense. We see that college has went pass happy and the NFL seems to be following. So what kind of roster wins?

I'd say:

Offense:
QB - You need a QB who can spread the ball around well. I'm not going to say that you need a Top 5 QB to win, but you need a guy who doesn't make a lot of mistakes and turn the ball over. Ideally on a rookie contract, but that's tough. That gives you more money to spend at other positions.

RB - A versatile guy who can run for 1000 yards but is also a receiving threat is important. You need a decent young back backing this guy up.

TE - A TE has to block, but also being somewhat of a receiving threat is key. I'd say a guy like Jesse James from Pittsburgh embodies this.

WR - You need a good #1 WR, then 2-3 above average guys that can catch the ball besides him. The #1 would get doubled, then the ball needs spread around besides that.

OL - You need an oline that can pass block 1st and foremost. You don't need elite guys, but you need above average. You may be able to get by with 1 subpar guy, but you definitely can't with 2+.

Defense -
DLine - You need a DLine that can generate pressure. Sacks and splash plays are key. Force turnovers.

LB - You need light, fast guys that can run and cover. Sure tacklers also.

Secondary - You need speedy guys that can cover and generate Turnovers. You're not going to totally stop teams in the NFL...so you have to generate turnovers and big plays that way.

Regarding QB, you absolutely need someone who can spread the ball around. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers all do this. Dalton can do this as long as he has his weapons healthy. He built rapport with Boyd last year, which will help. If the current projected starters all stay healthy, I see the options going like this:
1 - AJ Green
2 - Tyler Boyd
3 - Tyler Eifert or CJ Uzomah
4 - Joe Mixon (or Bernard when he's in place of Mixon)
5 - John Ross (or TE if they go 2TE looks)

Unless the Bengals draft another receiver no later than Rd 4, I don't see any other good receiving options beyond those listed above.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Another element needed to win championships in today's NFL... Some way to influence the league bigwigs, refs, and TV network execs, and sports writers..  Lemme see..what could it be? ....... Money?  
Nahh, let's leave religion out of it..  Lalala

Reply/Quote