Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forrest Gregg dies
RIP to our 1st Super Bowl coach

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26505006/hall-fame-lineman-forrest-gregg-dies-85
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just saw that. RIP Coach Gregg! My favorite Bengals HC of all time. I met a retired AF Colonel a few years back and we are good friends. One day I was at his house looking at some old pictures of him on the wall. I didn't realize he played RT for SMU back in the day. I was even more surprised to see who his teammate was that played LT, Forrest Gregg! He had some very interesting stories to tell! I will have to go by today and let him know.
Reply/Quote
RIP Coach.

Reply/Quote
Sad news, indeed. Thanks for the memories, Coach Gregg.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Forrest will always be linked to Munoz and the way he personally scouted him.
Reply/Quote
what a displinarian. he took a 6 10 team and made them believe in themselves. he helped turn around Andersons career.
he never giggled at press conferences.
he was all business.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:48 PM)impactplaya Wrote: what a displinarian. he took a 6 10 team and made them believe in themselves. he helped turn around Andersons career.
he never giggled at press conferences.
he was all business.

And he only had 3 winning seasons in 11 years as an NFL head coach.

But he will always be my hero for taking us to the Super Bowl.

BTW when Gregg took over in 1980 he was our 4th head coach in 6 years.  The chain was shorter back then.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And he only had 3 winning seasons in 11 years as an NFL head coach.

But he will always be my hero for taking us to the Super Bowl.

no coach was going to win in Cleveland with that trainwreck on offense. Greg Pruitt and Reggie Rucker was all they had on offense. 
defensively it was Sherk and Darden. 
not much talent 

BTW when Gregg took over in 1980 he was our 4th head coach in 6 years.  The chain was shorter back then.
Reply/Quote
RIP....great player.....good coach for us.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
RIP Such a great person, player and coach.
Reply/Quote
Rest easy Forrest
Reply/Quote
I remember how scared the players were for Gregg. Hell, I was just a kid and I was scared of the coach. lol. He commanded respect.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
RIP Coach. Sad
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Great player and a good coach. He was exactly the type of coach the Bengals needed back then.

Still, how the hell they got curb-stomped by the Jets in the 1982 playoff game at home is perplexing to me. I hated going into school the next day. Damn you Freeman McNeil!!
Reply/Quote
RIP Coach.
Reply/Quote
When Paul Brown stepped down they blew it not making Bill Walsh the Head Coach. Tiger Johnson and Homer Rice were not the answer. Then came Hall Of Fame Forrest Gregg who had been Coach Of The Year at Cleveland. The Great Green Bay Packer Dynasty Left Tackle came in saying he always thought the Bengals were too Weak. He had them doing grass drills until they puked. He brought Vince Lombardi Toughness to Paul Brown still alive and owner, and it was a great combo. His first year the Bengals only won a couple more games, but I could see they were tackling harder, blocking harder, hitting harder. It was no longer a Weak and Wimpy Bengals. The next year they won in a very tough AFC Central against a tough Houston Oilers, a tough Cleveland Browns and a tough Pittsburg Steelers in 1981. Forrest Gregg made it his point that The Steelers had just win 4 Super Bowls, and Bengals had to play their best to beat them. THEY DID. Bengals had a great year. Went to SUPER BOWL.

Forrest Gregg. He took a Bengals team that was kind of weak and wimpy and brought his Vince Lombardi style in and made the Bengals tough and mean. He had them do grass drills until they puked. He was that hardest Bengals Head Coach in Training Camp ever. His motto was the team in the best condition wins the 4th quarter, and he wasn't going to lose the 4th quarter for lack of hard practices.

Forrest Gregg toughness and experience helped in one huge game. He had played in the 1967 Ice Bowl Game NFL Championship of Dallas at Green Bay. This was THE GAME, not the new Super Bowl. The AFL had not earned respect yet and would not until 1968 Jets and 1969 Chiefs. In 1967, Dallas at Green Bay was THE GAME. The NFL Championship became one of the most famous cold weather games of all time. So in 1981 in the AFC Championship Freezer Bowl Game, Forrest Gregg saw the players putting on too many clothes. He made them take some of that gear off so they could play football. His experience in 1967 came in greatly in 1981, having been in both Freezer Bowl Type Games. Oh Yes, he was on the winning side in both cold games.

Forrest Gregg was Lombardi TOUGH and that was the TOUGHEST Bengals ever were, was under him. Gregg is the Only Bengals Head Coach to lay losses on the Pittsburg Steelers more than they beat Bengals. I heard black fans and white fans talking about how Forrest Gregg had Bengals beating the Steelers. Gregg brought Pride to Bengals Nation, more than any other Bengals coach including Paul Brown. There became a PRIDE as Gregg had Bengals beating Terry Bradshaw and The Steelers on a regular basis. Under Gregg, the Bengals were no longer Weak or Wimpy. That was his goal coming in, to take a weak wimpy team and toughen them up. He Did.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
they say your team often takes on the personality and identity of your coach.
look no furthur than Homer Rice and Forrest Gregg.
HOMER RICE.
really. his name alone is a reflection of softness.
does anyone recall the other candidates at that time he was hired?
Reply/Quote