Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foster Failed Drug Test
Well so much for that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801347/article/alabama-lb-reuben-foster-had-positive-drug-test-at-combine

I posted the article below if you cant open the link.
Reply/Quote
No wonder why he was in such a hurry to pick a fight at the medical bit.

Concussion history, torn rotator cuff, now a failed drug test already.

Yeah... no thanks.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
From the moment the pre-draft process started, it was nothing like Reuben Foster imagined.

A much-talked about moment at the Scouting Combine involving a hospital worker, rumors about the progress of his surgically repaired shoulder that won't die, questions about his childhood friends -- it has all gotten to the highly touted Alabama linebacker.

"Hectic, stressful, very stressful," Foster said over the phone to NFL.com, after concluding roughly 20 team visits. "It's like the devil is coming after me."

And now comes the latest.

Last month, Foster was notified that his urine sample obtained in Indianapolis during the combine was reported as dilute. Based on the provisions of the NFL's policy and program for substances of abuse, "this will be treated like a positive test."

In discussing his trying few months, Foster disclosed the test results to NFL.com because, he says, "This is something that's going to get out. I don't make excuses. I'm a real dude. I try to be a good person. ... I just hope the coaches understand and that's all I can hope and pray for." Foster has already been on the phone talking with teams telling them himself.

As for why the test came back dilute, Foster explained in detail. He said he was sick before the combine. He was throwing up, had diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down and was cramping. One adviser offered to have a doctor put him on IVs to hydrate, but he didn't want that. He saw a doctor, got some medication and started hydrating himself.

Foster believes it was food poisoning.

"I couldn't eat much, but I had to drink water and Gatorade," said Foster, who began the process as the consensus top linebacker based on his game tape and measurables. "Then a few coaches said something about me being too light. And I'm a coach-pleaser. I don't care what everybody thinks, but I care what coaches think. So I drank and ate as much as I could without throwing up. Then I went in there, drinking and drinking water, trying to flush out my system from whatever was making me sick and trying to keep my weight up and took the test."

The result was the diluted test, Foster says.

And more stress, along with questions about his draft stock. Foster knows this will likely negatively affect where he's selected.

"If it's first round, second round, whoever takes me will get a good football player and an All-Pro," Foster said. "I hope I go on Thursday, but I can't control that."

Foster, who weighed 229 pounds at 6-foot, knows he'll be in the NFL's drug program. Periodic and unannounced tests will start when he signs an NFL contract.

"Put me in the program," he said. "Test me."

Of course, this was far from the only thing he dealt with during the process. The star inside linebacker on Alabama's vaunted defense, Foster had surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff after the season. At combine rechecks, doctors found it was on schedule, though there have been media reports that he may need a second surgery (which has frustrated Foster).

"I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do, but no matter what I do, it doesn't come out right," he said.

In Indy, Foster got into a heated altercation with a hospital worker and was sent home prior to completing his medical exam. He later sent a letter to teams apologizing for his dismissal. Foster had been waiting an extended period of time.

"I apologized for that, I've learned from it," Foster said. "That's in the past and it won't happen again." Foster spoke right before addressing his former Bama teammates about the pre-draft process and what it's been like.

Some teams also had questions about the company Foster keeps, though as he says, "I came from a rough environment, I'm my own man. Growing up, those were the people from my neighborhood. At college, my teammates became my family."

Foster graduated from Alabama and called the plays for their complex defense. Meanwhile, other media reports questioned his smarts.

Foster said this process has been mentally draining and taxing. But he said he's grateful for it and is looking forward to Thursday.

On the flip side, no one has questions about Foster as a football player.

"Big-time player," one GM said. "Beast."

That's the consensus. But only time will tell how teams will react to the entirety of it.

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter @RapSheet.

I wouldnt trust the guy. The story seems far fetched. Why would you NOT want a Dr or facility hydrate you so you can have some record or proof to explain the dilution. Sucks cause I was kinda wanting this guy or at least still on the fence but how can you draft this guy now. Just man up and admit you got high. Dont make things worse by portraying yourself as a liar too.
Reply/Quote
Man, if he's having this many problems, and is this stressed out, with the draft process... Mellow
Reply/Quote
Any doctors in here agree with his explanation? It just seems like excuses are never really accurate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 05:57 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Any doctors in here agree with his explanation?  It just seems like excuses are never really accurate.

Im no Doctor but I do know that just drinking too much fluids will dilute the sample enough to result in a positive/diluted sample. Its frustrating to see someone with millions on the line only to throw all your hard work away if he did in fact dilute with the intent to deceive or hide a substance.
Reply/Quote
It's been a rough off season for Foster.

I'd take him if he were there in the 2nd round.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 06:16 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Im no Doctor but I do know that just drinking too much fluids will dilute the sample enough to result in a positive/diluted sample. Its frustrating to see someone with millions on the line only to throw all your hard work away if he did in fact dilute with the intent to deceive or hide a substance.

It's also important to note that Barnett had similar issues at the combine, but apparently passed his drug test.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 07:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's also important to note that Barnett had similar issues at the combine, but apparently passed his drug test.

Really? I didnt know anything happen with Barnett. I will have to look into it unless you care to give me the skinny.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 07:13 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's also important to note that Barnett had similar issues at the combine, but apparently passed his drug test.

(04-20-2017, 07:17 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Really? I didnt know anything happen with Barnett. I will have to look into it unless you care to give me the skinny.

Barnett was legit sick, drinking lots of fluids. Yet no diluted sample.

Doesn't help Fosters tall tale.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 05:57 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Man, if he's having this many problems, and is this stressed out, with the draft process... Mellow

Sure, Foster seems like a ticking time bomb.  But, under the calming influence of Marvin and the redemption powers of Mike Brown, they'll have him tuned up, focused, and dialed in for a HOF career quicker than you can say 4 week suspension for repeated flagrant foul. Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The guy linked to us the most at 9.

Say hello to our 2nd round pick.
Reply/Quote
I don't even want him with our 2nd round pick now.

Atleast Burfict has his problems on the field. This guy is a little LB that was just surrounded by a lot of talent that hit hard.

Might take him in the 3rd but we need a Center more than a LB IMHO.
Reply/Quote
Anyone see him going to Pitt or Balt now? That would suck, well unless he spends the season suspended.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 07:41 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Barnett was legit sick, drinking lots of fluids. Yet no diluted sample.

Oh gotcha. Forgot about that.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 09:53 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Anyone see him going to Pitt or Balt now? That would suck, well unless he spends the season suspended.

Baltimore has a laundry list of bigger needs than ILB.  I don't think Pittsburgh wants yet another drug problem to go with Bell and Bryant.
Reply/Quote
Well he's pretty much guaranteed to be there if we do want this guy even after a trade back. Today is no shock to team as they already knew about the drug test result. So the question is, do you trade back if a team offers a 2nd and 3rd and still pick this guy. Or is he off your board. I dont see a huge difference taking this guy in the 20's vs taking him in the 2nd. I dont think he will drop into the 3rd so he is either still on your board or completely off. What do you do.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 05:57 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Any doctors in here agree with his explanation?  It just seems like excuses are never really accurate.

As a licensed substance abuse counselor, I've seen many a client attempt to dilute their sample to hide drug use.  The real question for me would be did he have THC or other drugs in his system that fell below the threshold for a positive screen anyway.    A sample can be negative, but still show proof of recent (within a few months) drug use, especially with THC (marijuana).  
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 05:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: No wonder why he was in such a hurry to pick a fight at the medical bit.

Concussion history, torn rotator cuff, now a failed drug test already.

Yeah... no thanks.

Flipped out on medical staff at the combine, didn't force turnovers in college, was pampered by an outrageous d-line...

At this point I'm going to be mad if they take him at 9.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2017, 07:41 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Barnett was legit sick, drinking lots of fluids. Yet no diluted sample.

I'm not sure it hurts his tale. When we were tested in college they warned us often about not drinking too much, I was a wrestler so my issue was being hydrated enough to actually piss. If he was on the backside of being sick I could see him over hydrating, it's not really hard to do. Most people know that a diluted test is a failed test so it isn't a good strategy to "beat it". He could have flushed his system a couple days out then added high sodium foods back into his diet and bring his hydration levels back to normal.

I don't want him at 9, but if we do trade back into late teens I am fine taking him.
Reply/Quote