Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foster in for a visit
(04-16-2017, 10:47 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Lewis stated in an interview he would take the first overall pick for McCarron.  That doesn't mean that would be the only pick involved though.  Somehow I can foresee a situation where the Browns give us picks 1 and 52 for picks 9, 41, and AJ.  Neither team loses any picks from any rounds, it's just draft position that changes.  The "value" based on the chart would still fall in our favor, but that would be offset in Cleveland's favor by the fact that they do not have to take a QB with either of their 2 high picks.

Who do you think we would take at 1 if this happened?

I ask cause Garrett has his question marks as you mentioned.

There is no clear #1 pick in this draft from what i am seeing, i think i would rather keep 9 and 41 honestly.

We could still get a great player at 9 and i like picking at 41 a lot better than just 52 in the 2nd.

Lots of good players that could help this team will be gone by 52.

I just hope we could get the #33 pick from the Stains. 9, 33, and 41 could produce a star.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 11:26 PM)Benton Wrote: Isn't his shoulder issue supposed to be a ... well...issue?

Considering Reuben Foster tackles with the crown of his helmet, his shoulders shouldn't be an issue.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 09:35 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: Seriously hope this is a sign. Even with bringing in minter, I think you can't pass on fosters talent.  I know don't read to much into it, they bring in a lot of guys before the draft. But please, let Marvin's love for linebackers take over and get us foster.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2017/4/11/15245738/alabama-linebacker-reuben-foster-visiting-bengals

He would make our defense the most dynamic it's ever been. We would still need to find a pass rusher to complete the defense, but Foster has been my favorite pick at 9.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 02:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who do you think we would take at 1 if this happened?

There is no clear #1 pick in this draft from what i am seeing, i think i would rather keep 9 and 41 honestly.

We could still get a great player at 9 and i like picking at 41 a lot better than just 52 in the 2nd.

I just hope we could get the #33 pick from the Stains. 9, 33, and 41 could produce a star.
Think about what you are saying.. that less than the 2nd round being complete, most good players are gone that will help us..... no way.. what actually makes teams good is the overall depth of their drafts... 3 to 5 rounds have much success as 2nd rounds. 
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2017, 09:35 PM)zygrot24 Wrote: Seriously hope this is a sign. Even with bringing in minter, I think you can't pass on fosters talent.  I know don't read to much into it, they bring in a lot of guys before the draft. But please, let Marvin's love for linebackers take over and get us foster.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cincyjungle.com/platform/amp/2017/4/11/15245738/alabama-linebacker-reuben-foster-visiting-bengals

Would hate to use a 1st round pick for this injured player. Maybe with the latest medical he will drop to 2nd. and could be an okay pick there.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 02:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who do you think we would take at 1 if this happened?

If we ended up with Myles Garrett I would jump so far through the roof Russia would see it and start a nuclear war
Reply/Quote

Solomon Thomas?

I'm hearing he can be an elite pass rusher from the edge or 3 technique...
Reply/Quote
I saw earlier that Foster may miss half his rookie season with the shoulder. This team has far too many holes to pick someone who isn't going to play day one. They need an impact player.

As for the Browns giving the number one overall pick for McCarron, this says a lot about Marvin. He either has no sense of humor, little idea the value of players and picks, or a combination of the two.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 09:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I saw earlier that Foster may miss half his rookie season with the shoulder.  This team has far too many holes to pick someone who isn't going to play day one.  They need an impact player.

I don't think the team should draft Foster, but this is silly reasoning. If you get a player that might take a year, but anticipate him to be a top notch player, you take him over a guy who is solid and can contribute year one. Long term benefit always trumps all regarding the draft
Reply/Quote
I want Solomon Thomas in a dream world draft.Hes not making it out of the top 5 though.Then Allen for obvious defensive end reasons ( MJ is done) but with Foster I don't think we need him after getting Minter and the emergence of Vigil coming on but how do you not fall in love with a linebacker core with him and Burfict on the field? It would be a sick pick up for us.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 09:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: As for the Browns giving the number one overall pick for McCarron, this says a lot about Marvin.  He either has no sense of humor, little idea the value of players and picks, or a combination of the two.

Or he knows Hue's desire?

He didn't say other things wouldn't need to be involved, i.e. it would have to be pick #1 for AJM straight up.  Only that the #1 pick would have to be involved.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 09:52 PM)eoxyod Wrote: I don't think the team should draft Foster, but this is silly reasoning. If you get a player that might take a year, but anticipate him to be a top notch player, you take him over a guy who is solid and can contribute year one. Long term benefit always trumps all regarding the draft
It's not silly at all.  A top ten pick should be someone that comes in and contributes day one.  The reason you're drafting in the top ten is because you need help now, not down the road.

(04-17-2017, 09:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Or he knows Hue's desire?

He didn't say other things wouldn't need to be involved, i.e. it would have to be pick #1 for AJM straight up.  Only that the #1 pick would have to be involved.

Do you have any idea how teams assign value to draft picks?  The number one pick in the draft is worth a ransom.  Moving up two or three spots, to number one overall, normally involves multiple picks in the future (at least some of which are first rounders).  So maybe the Bengals trade McCarron and this entire draft.  Perhaps McCarron, the nine this year, a second, and a first next year.  It would take A LOT to get the Browns to move out of the number one spot.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 10:32 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It's not silly at all.  A top ten pick should be someone that comes in and contributes day one.  The reason you're drafting in the top ten is because you need help now, not down the road.

Do you have any idea how teams assign value to draft picks?  The number one pick in the draft is worth a ransom.  Moving up two or three spots, to number one overall, normally involves multiple picks in the future (at least some of which are first rounders).  So maybe the Bengals trade McCarron and this entire draft.  Perhaps McCarron, the nine this year, a second, and a first next year.  It would take A LOT to get the Browns to move out of the number one spot.

I see Foster coming in and contributing on day one.. so sound pick to me
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 09:58 PM)Striped4war Wrote: I want Solomon Thomas in a dream world draft.Hes not making it out of the top 5 though.Then Allen for obvious defensive end reasons ( MJ is done) but with Foster I don't think we need him after getting Minter and the emergence of Vigil coming on but how do you not fall in love with a linebacker core with him and Burfict on the field? It would be a sick pick up for us.

Well, right off you have to pencil in 3-5 games without Burfict due to concussion/suspension. And we have yet to see if Vigil can hold up over a season playing full time. Minter is pretty much a proven commodity, but we need some better depth than what we have right now..
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2017, 08:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well, right off you have to pencil in 3-5 games without Burfict due to concussion/suspension. And we have yet to see if Vigil can hold up over a season playing full time. Minter is pretty much a proven commodity, but we need some better depth than what we have right now..

Agreed but taking anybody in the top 10 better be a starter. You left off Vinny Rey who can come in and play any lb spot.You don't draft for depth in the top 10 you draft for guys we need starting now.We don't have the luxury we had 2 years ago when we were set across the board.I wouldn't be mad with taking Foster.Just be happier with a difference maker now re-placing mj
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 11:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see Foster coming in and contributing on day one.. so sound pick to me

reports are the shoulder isn't healed 100%
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 09:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: As for the Browns giving the number one overall pick for McCarron, this says a lot about Marvin.  He either has no sense of humor, little idea the value of players and picks, or a combination of the two.

Or he knows hes not gonna help the browns and a coach that left to coach against him 2x a year without making them pay the  price.

F the browns and Hue.  if they value McCarron so they will lay out an offer in our price range
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 11:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I see Foster coming in and contributing on day one.. so sound pick to me

His medical recheck of his shoulder shows it still hasn't healed and he will require a second surgery.  He is unlikely to contribute much missing OTA's and likely much of TC with the current LB's we have on the roster, especially since we are pretty much a nickel base defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 08:27 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Think about what you are saying.. that less than the 2nd round being complete, most good players are gone that will help us..... no way.. what actually makes teams good is the overall depth of their drafts... 3 to 5 rounds have much success as 2nd rounds. 

Just saying i don't believe there is a clear #1 pick in this draft as Garrett has his question marks being that
he got most of his numbers against inferior competition. Solomon Thomas is not a sack artist or anything,
Allen has the shoulder arthritis and is not a pure 4-3 End...

Barnett is not a great run stopper.

Plus in my opinion we would be more likely to grab up a great talent at #41 rather than 52 is all.

Players that you want might be picked right in front of you.

(04-17-2017, 09:09 PM)eoxyod Wrote: If we ended up with Myles Garrett I would jump so far through the roof Russia would see it and start a nuclear war

Cool, but he still got most his sacks against lesser competition than Barnett did.

(04-17-2017, 09:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Solomon Thomas?

I'm hearing he can be an elite pass rusher from the edge or 3 technique...

I like Solomon a lot, but i like Johnathan Allen more from a production standpoint.

We all know Solomon blew Allen out of the water at the combine but the production as far as a pass rusher
was better in college than Solomon. I think some people get a little caught up in combine numbers and forget
we are drafting football players first, not workout warriors.

The numbers for Allen were better than Solomon Thomas's on the football field.
Reply/Quote
Foster visited with the Ravens today.

If the shoulder is an issue, it needs/will be addressed. Is Foster a contribute 1st day? IMHO: No, he leads with his head and one of these times it will be a brick wall. I think the risk is too high, and I don't want another D. Pollack on our hands...

If O.J. Howard is there at pick #9, Bengals need to take it. I think he can contribute day 1, and the size of this target with Eifert hurt/training camp sitting another year is more than enough reason to grab this kid. Just imagine if he turns out to be a good blocking TE as well!

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote