Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off-season plan, version 1.0
(11-30-2016, 10:09 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Sometimes being the top WR on a team and seeing constant double teams is more important to the individual than being second fiddle and seeing single coverage. Marvin Jones is a great example. He valued being a WR1 on Detroit rather than sign back with Cincinnati.

Good example.  And how is that 1.5 receptions per game the last 6 games working out for him?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 05:18 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Fisher is a better fit at RT, however he also seems more ready than Ogubehi. But we're seeing Whit lose a step and if Zeitler walks, they may move him inside. So that still leaves Ogubehi on one side.

Pacman all depends on Kirkpatrick for me. If Kirkpatrick walks, keep him. If Kirkpatrick stays, we have too much talent to leave on the bench anymore and need to make changes. We're seeing the last of Pacman. He's struggled this season.

If Fisher goes to RT, that means Ogbuehi would have to go to LT.  I think that would be an even bigger disaster.  

Adam Jones has clearly lost a step, but he is still a very solid starter and depth at CB would be paper-thin without him.  
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2016, 11:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good example.  And how is that 1.5 receptions per game the last 6 games working out for him?

I knew you would bring that up. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Just last week, he had the most targets (11) that he's had all season. He's still getting the targets. You can't get receptions if you don't get targeted. More targets gives a greater chance to have better statistics, which many receivers care about.

Also, a lot of people need to remember that for these players, this is their job. They want to make the most money at their job and provide for their families. It's not always about winning a championship for every player. And typically, a player expected to be a WR1 will be paid (much) higher than a WR2 regardless of whether they are on a good team or bad team.

Terrelle Pryor is going to be 28 years old next season and hasn't really struck it big yet because he failed as a QB for his first few years in the league. One would have to think he's looking to cash in and also that he will likely see his best financial offer from a team like the Browns who have no one else at WR.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Quote:Also, a lot of people need to remember that for these players, this is their job. They want to make the most money at their job and provide for their families. It's not always about winning a championship for every player.
Bingo.. All the tripe written about passion for the game , loyalty to the city / fans goes right out the window when someone else is dangling a very big paycheck in front of their faces. Very few players are loyal to a city they're not born and raised in . It's about getting paid regardless of what we as fans  want. 
Being the number 1 or 2 is secondary and though all that sounds nice and makes for a nice story line the bottom line is about the money .  Teams do have financial constraints so it isn't as if they have unlimited amounts of money at any given time . i think Jones saw a much higher potential in Detroit not only as the number one ,but as a stepping stone to a much higher paycheck down the road replacing Calvin Johnson even though it hasn't really worked out the way he was likely told by his agent or team . Hell, for all we know Stafford just doesn't like Marvin Jones . Who knows and it's possible he'll get cut by Detroit and return to Cincinnati .. Anything is possible in that regard . 
Anyway ,I suspect Marvin Lewis will be back next season even though most fans want him gone and we'll see a revamping  of the assistant coaching ranks, hopefully of younger guys with fresh ideas instead of coaching them to play a 1980s game . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 10:20 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I knew you would bring that up. But that doesn't tell the whole story. Just last week, he had the most targets (11) that he's had all season. He's still getting the targets. You can't get receptions if you don't get targeted. More targets gives a greater chance to have better statistics, which many receivers care about.

Also, a lot of people need to remember that for these players, this is their job. They want to make the most money at their job and provide for their families. It's not always about winning a championship for every player. And typically, a player expected to be a WR1 will be paid (much) higher than a WR2 regardless of whether they are on a good team or bad team.

Terrelle Pryor is going to be 28 years old next season and hasn't really struck it big yet because he failed as a QB for his first few years in the league. One would have to think he's looking to cash in and also that he will likely see his best financial offer from a team like the Browns who have no one else at WR.

So, who do you want as the vertical threat that is so clearly needed opposite AJ?  They were prepared to pay Jones, who I liked, roughly 8 million per year.  Do you think Pryor would command a lot more than that?  He's at or near his peak physically and he can, in my estimation, make a huge impact on this team.  As far as getting paid more in Cleveland, that remains to be seen.  I can tell you, though, that he might want to be on a team that has a shot at winning.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2016, 08:40 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: So, who do you want as the vertical threat that is so clearly needed opposite AJ?  They were prepared to pay Jones, who I liked, roughly 8 million per year.  Do you think Pryor would command a lot more than that?  He's at or near his peak physically and he can, in my estimation, make a huge impact on this team.  As far as getting paid more in Cleveland, that remains to be seen.  I can tell you, though, that he might want to be on a team that has a shot at winning.  

As mentioned in your FA thread, I think it would be worthwhile to pursue Pryor, as he is a good candidate opposite of AJ to provide that deep playmaking threat.
My only concern will continue to be cost to attain Pryor. If the Bengals can, great. If not, I do think there are other options.

I think Michael Floyd could be a candidate, but not a great chance he would be cheaper than $8 mill a year nor likely he would leave Arizona to come to Cincy just to stay a WR2.
Kenny Britt is kind of in the same boat as Pryor...stay the top WR in a bad offense or seek out a better team and potentially be a WR2. Britt isn't nearly as fast as Pryor, but can still create separation, run good routes, has good hands, and can go vertical. Very well-rounded. His main issues since being in the NFL have been injuries and attitude, but that was more while at Tennessee. He's having a good but quiet season in LA and is making ~$4.5 mill a year, so he might be a better shot at attaining for about Sanu-level money.
Pierre Garcon is another that might want to leave DC due to too many mouths to feed. Reed is a go-to as a receiving TE, Crowder has emerged, Jackson is still there, and they drafted Josh Doctson last year. He's always been a capable WR2, but just turned 30 years old. He was paid an average of $8.5 million when he signed with Washington, but might be had for less than $8 mill a year now due to his age.
I think a dark horse could be Cordarrelle Patterson. He definitely has the speed to be a deep threat, but for whatever reason, he hasn't succeeded in Minnesota at WR since his rookie year. Patterson should definitely be much cheaper.

There are actually a decent number of prospects in the draft that could also fill that role.
Mike Williams out of Clemson is an obvious choice, but would require the first round selection to get.
Stacy Coley out of Miami is having a decent season (703 yds, 9 TDs, long of 55). He's a definite vertical threat with probably just enough size to stay outside (6'1", 195 lb). He's projected as a mid-round pick.
Malachi Dupre and Travin Dural out of LSU are having underwhelming seasons due to terrible QB play and force feeding Leonard Fournette, but are both expected to be better in the pros. Both have been labeled as outside WRs with deep threat potential. Originally projected as potential first or second rounders if the LSU passing game improved, they are projected to fall into that mid-round range too. Either could be a steal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd love for the Bengaks to get Leonard Fournette
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2016, 02:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like the idea of Pryor...but I don't know if he comes here as he was in camp with us and we cut him.

Too bad the Bengals didn't try to move him to WR.

from my understanding pryor still wanted to play QB and not WR when he was with us. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote