Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four more facing suspension..possibly!
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-four-face-suspension-if-no-interviews-given/ar-BBvFkwL?li=BBnb7Kz
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2016, 09:44 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-four-face-suspension-if-no-interviews-given/ar-BBvFkwL?li=BBnb7Kz

This is absolute horse shit.

No way any suspension is upheld just because these guys don't want to talk about a report of steroid use, in which the main accuser has since recanted his story.

I hope if the NFL suspends these guys, the NFLPA follows it immediately with a lawsuit.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
With Harrison involved this has obviously been a topic on the local sports talk.

I agree that this is nuts.  The report has been debunked, the main accuser retracted his story and the network that aired it doesn't exist anymore.

(Clearly all examples of how the NFL loves the Steelers so much.   Ninja )

But it has deteriorated into a peeing match to see who will blink first.  The players (Harrison at least) has said he will happily be interviewed if they come to him.

And the NFLPA reps are saying they will back the players 100%.

Just the NFL needs...another distraction.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Obviously the contracts and regulations are extensive, so there could be more to it..... But I saw an excerpt from the CBA where it would appear the only time a player is responsible for being interviewed or mounting a defense is during an appeal of a punishment. Choosing not to cooperate (outside of taking fairly administers truly random drug test - which is clearly laid out in the CBS) isn't something in itself that allows a player to be punished. Destroying evidence to hamper an investigation is a different story, but in this instant none of the players have allegedly destroyed anything, in part because the NFL has yet to reveal any evidence at all. All four players maintained their innocence in an affidavit to the league - it's going to be hard to argue they are obligated to do more than that when they still don't now what and if the league even has evidence against them .Any suspension would be contested in court and almost guaranteed to be temporarily lifted until the court can hear it. Once the court can hear it, there's no way the NFL wins.

Hopefully Harrison sticks to his demands that Goodell come to his house or otherwise refuse to be interviewed. Goodell would rather take the loss in federal appeals court than the L he would receive by folding to a Harrison's demands.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think the players will be required to cooperate.

the league is not suspending them over the allegations made in the PED story. That would never stand. But I think the league can require the players to cooperate with an investigation.

You can't just let the players decide when they will cooperate. If that was the rule then no player would ever cooperate in any way with any investigation, and that just will not work.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2016, 09:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't just let the players decide when they will cooperate.  If that was the rule then no player would ever cooperate in any way with any investigation, and that just will not work.

But wouldn't it be a violation of the CBA, and specifically the PED policy, to require an interview without evidence much less a failed or missed test?

This is a big no-no for unions.  They don't tolerate this sort of harassment/intimidation.

So then late in the year, TMZ could run some BS story on a star...and then the NFL could threaten that player with suspension until they sit for an interview to explain why the story is BS?
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2016, 05:07 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: But wouldn't it be a violation of the CBA, and specifically the PED policy, to require an interview without evidence much less a failed or missed test?

This is a big no-no for unions.  They don't tolerate this sort of harassment/intimidation.

So then late in the year, TMZ could run some BS story on a star...and then the NFL could threaten that player with suspension until they sit for an interview to explain why the story is BS?

I don't know what evidence the league has.  They claim that there are some "inconsistencies" in some of the players statements.

And the claim that the Al Jazeera story was "retracted" is also not completely correct.

http://nesn.com/2015/12/al-jazeera-reporter-bashes-peyton-manning-source-who-retracted-comments/

Personally i think every small shred of evidence justifies an investigation.  I agree that players should not be suspended without good evidence, but I think they have to comply with almost any investigation to determine if there is any good evidence.

I also agree with the players who want these interviews recorded.  there have been disagreements before about what was said in these interviews.  Recording them would protect both sides.  
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 12:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Personally i think every small shred of evidence justifies an investigation.  I agree that players should not be suspended without good evidence, but I think they have to comply with almost any investigation to determine if there is any good evidence.

If they have actual evidence.  Doesn't seem the players have seen it.  If that "evidence" is just the article then they shouldn't be compelled to interview.  The union won't, and shouldn't, allow an interview to be the foundation of "evidence" and the basis for disciplinary action.

IMO, this is either a fishing expedition or for appearances, or both.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 06:40 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: If they have actual evidence.  Doesn't seem the players have seen it.  If that "evidence" is just the article then they shouldn't be compelled to interview.  The union won't, and shouldn't, allow an interview to be the foundation of "evidence" and the basis for disciplinary action.

IMO, this is either a fishing expedition or for appearances, or both.

Al-Jazeera accusing NFL players of playing dirty is akin to the Russian Olympic team pointing fingers at them to me. I totally agree that the he said allegations from anybody should be attacked by the union, but the NFLPU (what it should be called) has got to be the sorriest excuse for a union that ever has been. Ordinarily, I'd laugh at a Steeler being accused, but this is worse than the Patriot act. I also foresee major problems down the road when contract time comes around. The Communist organization that is the NFL is the only outfit that can convict people without any real evidence, and because they feel that more probably than not someone did something they can suspend them. They can deal out suspensions for whatever duration the feel like apparently depending on whether they like the guy or not. They can take away half a year's pay from a guy for infractions that weren't part of their policy when they were committed. Their main enforcer can keep his job when you know more probably than not he seen the Ray Rice video already when initially he was going to give him a slap on the wrist. And...you think Flacco is overpaid? Goodell makes twice what he does! Unless the NFL players really are "big dumb jocks" this next contract ain't gonna be easy.
Reply/Quote