Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fox News Sued for Defamation, Again
This time by one of their own viewers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66169918

Quote:A former US Marine who became the focus of right-wing conspiracies surrounding the Capitol riot is suing Fox News for defamation.

The legal action accuses Fox of telling a "fantastical story" suggesting Ray Epps was a federal agent to make him a "scapegoat" for the raid on Congress.

Mr Epps was filmed encouraging people to enter the Capitol complex in January 2021, but he was not charged.

The lawsuit, filed in court in Delaware on Wednesday, does not specify damages.

I have to say, seeing the Republicans eating their own does produce some schadenfreude.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I mean it's the Murdoch business model.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
This one will be interesting to watch. For them to win this case they will have to prove that Epps was working with the Feds. I doubt very seriously that they can, otherwise we would have already seen it

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
So was he not instigating riots or was he?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 04:12 AM)basballguy Wrote: So was he not instigating riots or was he?

The claims were that he was a fed and it was a false flag which has resulted in him being harassed, threatened, and having to close his business. There is a video of him saying "let's storm the Capitol!" and he has been informed he is going to be charged for his activities on Jan. 6th as well, from my understanding.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
So a guy who said , “Let’s storm the capitol” is suing for defamation because he was called a fed? Funny times.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 07:19 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So a guy who said , “Let’s storm the capitol” is suing for defamation because he was called a fed? Funny times.

Well, in an effort to deflect any sort of responsibility, right wing media has been pushing the narrative that it was all a false flag operation by federal law enforcement. This was one of those individuals that they used as a scapegoat and as a result he has faced life-changing harassment.

To be frank, I think the actual malice component would be difficult to clear for defamation if he was a public figure. Since he isn't, or at least wasn't prior to right-wing outlets making him one, I think he has a pretty strong case.

But yeah, this is the state of things right now. It's friggin' bonkers. I was watching some of the Christopher Wray hearing from the other day and I couldn't help but be amazed at the events unfolding in that room. This is in that same realm of idiocy.

Reply/Quote
(07-15-2023, 04:12 AM)basballguy Wrote: So was he not instigating riots or was he?

It appears he said "Let's go into the Capitol" or some such.

But there is also a recording of him calming someone down before the barriers. "Dude, police are just doing their job." 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/05/us/jan-6-ray-epps-evidence.html

Guy just seems like an ordinary MAGA faithful who thought the election was stolen from Trump.

Then he found out what happens when you enmesh yourself in a mob of true believers hyped on conspiracies.

"FED! FED! FED! FED! FED! FED! ... He's a FED!"   He now has good insight into how conspiracy theories start and are maintained.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 7sr16d.jpg]
Reply/Quote