Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franchise Tag
Do you think the Bengals will use the franchise tag this year?

"The first day for teams to place the franchise tag on players is Wednesday. I wouldn't expect the Bengals to use the tag this year."
- Katherine Terrell
Season ticket holder since 2003. Lifetime Bengals fan, through thick and thin.
Reply/Quote
The only guy the should use it on, they won't. Whit will stay if offered a fair deal, he really seems happy here and this is his team as a locker room leader. Dre K isn't worth the tag, he's good and we really need him back, but not at the value of the tag for a CB. The only guy who could be hit with the tag is Zeitler and he is the guy that the team doesn't even seem to care about losing which is mind numbing madness.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Whats the cheapest position to tag whose a FA this year? Punter?

Should tag Zeitler but wont

fullback seems like a cheap position to tag. is Hewitt a FA?
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 07:26 PM)Housh Wrote: Whats the cheapest position to tag whose a FA this year? Punter?

Should tag Zeitler but wont

fullback seems like a cheap position to tag. is Hewitt a FA?

No. They extended Hewitt last year, then they hardly played him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 07:47 PM)jason Wrote: No. They extended Hewitt last year, then they hardly played him.
Likely due to the stellar RB production as seen by Zamp.
Reply/Quote
Mike Nugent

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
If we value these guys as much as the team claims they do, then youre going to have to use the tag on either Zeitler or Kirkpatrick. Youre not going to get deals done with both, especially with as lackadaisical as this front office is about getting deals done. What can you expect? I expect to see both players leave confirming all of our suspicions that this front office is full of shit.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 10:10 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: If we value these guys as much as the team claims they do, then youre going to have to use the tag on either Zeitler or Kirkpatrick. Youre not going to get deals done with both, especially with as lackadaisical as this front office is about getting deals done. What can you expect? I expect to see both players leave confirming all of our suspicions that this front office is full of shit.

Actually if there is one thing this front office has done is resign their own. When they haven't it has normally worked out in the long run, the only one that got away and found success long term was J Joe but that seems like he wanted out so wasn't much we could do to mend that relationship.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 10:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: Actually if there is one thing this front office has done is resign their own. When they haven't it has normally worked out in the long run, the only one that got away and found success long term was J Joe but that seems like he wanted out so wasn't much we could do to mend that relationship.

We should have franchised him at the time but we instead used a 2nd Rd tender on him because at the time they thought he was going to be a restricted free agent instead of an unrestricted free agent which he became latter under the new CBA.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 10:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: Actually if there is one thing this front office has done is resign their own. When they haven't it has normally worked out in the long run, the only one that got away and found success long term was J Joe but that seems like he wanted out so wasn't much we could do to mend that relationship.

Sure would have liked Nelson at safety in 2016. Would have been nice to have a Pro Bowl safety back there rather than the two schmucks they gave contracts to and trotted out.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure would have liked Nelson at safety in 2016. Would have been nice to have a Pro Bowl safety back there rather than the two schmucks they gave contracts to and trotted out.

I wanted to keep Nelson as well, but 3/4 of this board was clamoring on about how we never play the young guys. Fans can't have it both ways...
Reply/Quote

J Joe got away because the front office drug their feet offering him a contract.

According to someone close to him (can't remember who), he was set to accept a fair contract during the season but they never offered him one, so he walked.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 03:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sure would have liked Nelson at safety in 2016. Would have been nice to have a Pro Bowl safety back there rather than the two schmucks they gave contracts to and trotted out.

Iloka played at a high level in 2015... So not sure what you are talking about.  Sometimes they play off eqchother
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 04:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I wanted to keep Nelson as well, but 3/4 of this board was clamoring on about how we never play the young guys. Fans can't have it both ways...

Exactly.

Iv always had the stance of best players need to play. If one year our best lineup is an average age of 32 years old then whatever. If our best lineup next year has an average age of 26 then so be it.
Reply/Quote

2. George Iloka

2015 team: Cincinnati Bengals
A three-year starter for the Bengals, the former fifth-round pick is one of the most complete safeties hitting free agency this offseason. His run defense grade over the last two seasons is +4.7, while his coverage grade over the same span is +7.2. Iloka has the size (6-foot-4-inches, 225 pounds) that some teams will covet to match up with tight ends, even if he wasn’t used often in that role in Cincinnati.

He was the second best safety In the offseason last year.  Reggie Nelson happened to be 3rd.  
Reply/Quote
Is to early to tag our fat crappy kicker?
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 04:27 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I wanted to keep Nelson as well, but 3/4 of this board was clamoring on about how we never play the young guys. Fans can't have it both ways...

since when did this elmer fudd run organization ever care about what the fans wanted? Zeitler wants out of here if he is smart!

Reply/Quote

Although I agree that Reggie was a better choice in 2016, that would leave up with an older, high-dollar option at Safety with the play sure to drop off.  Williams no doubt struggled in his new role early in the year, but improved throughout the season.  I feel confident going with Williams and Iloka moving forward.  I actually think with Derron Smith and Fej as the backups, it is a position of strength.  

And much like Marvin Jones, Reggie was offered near what the Raiders paid him, but he wanted to move on.  

Perhaps that was an unspoken message we should have put more stock in to going in to this season.  Why did these players move on when the money was similar?  I sure don't think Oakland and Detroit are nicer places to live (no offense).  But, honestly, was it a message that they were tired of the crap from guys like Burfict and Jones?  And maybe Marv to some extent?

Who knows.  Burfict is still the cornerstone of this defense, but Jones has given the Bengals a perfect out to get out of his contract.  His play dropped off tremendously.  He has been given too many chances.  With the public display of his lack of authority (and a terrible one at that) he needs to be gone.  Sign Dre K and release Adam.  Keeping Adam until he is signed is the only logical excuse for waiting.  
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2017, 06:51 PM)Clep Wrote: Do you think the Bengals will use the franchise tag this year?

"The first day for teams to place the franchise tag on players is Wednesday. I wouldn't expect the Bengals to use the tag this year."
- Katherine Terrell

If i was the owner i wouldn't but it seems like we will have to if we want to keep all 3 of our better
players that are going into FA. They should re-sign Whit for 1 or 2 years and bring back Dre for about
3 as inurance in case a few of the first round Corners don't work out.

Use the tag on Zeitler if they have to.

Even then PA comes into this discussion cause we will have to coach up Zeitler's replacement whether
it is Westerman or another guy at RG.

Personally i would re-sign all of these guys especially the O-lineman and leave the tag alone.

We have the dough.
Reply/Quote

Amen
Reply/Quote