Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franchise Tag
(02-14-2017, 10:15 AM)Au165 Wrote: Actually if there is one thing this front office has done is resign their own. When they haven't it has normally worked out in the long run, the only one that got away and found success long term was J Joe but that seems like he wanted out so wasn't much we could do to mend that relationship.

Justin Smith, Maddieu Williams, Eric Steinbach, Takeo Spikes, Sanu, Jones, Reggie Nelson.

Those guys all left and went on to have great careers...so far.

I wouldn't say that the Bengals are any better at retaining their own than any other team.
Reply/Quote
Wish they would just tag Zeitler already. As far as Dre K. I dont see the slight hype with this guy, I know A.Jones kinda put us in a bad situation but even with a certain suspension if he even keeps his job I would make Dre an average offer at best. I dont think he's any better than your average CB. Part of me wants to see him come back just to keep us from drafting a CB in the first 3 rds, but I have a feeling they will anyway.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 08:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Justin Smith, Maddieu Williams, Eric Steinbach, Takeo Spikes, Sanu, Jones, Reggie Nelson.

Those guys all left and went on to have great careers...so far.

I wouldn't say that the Bengals are any better at retaining their own than any other team.

While I am not a defender of the front office (as I said earlier in this thread, they sign some guys but fail to keep other key pieces) some of your names aren't really fair.

Justin Smith was a better fit in the 49ers' defense than he was in the defense here in Cincy. 

Williams had 1 productive season after leaving. He signed a 6 year deal with Minnesota and got cut after 3 years, spent a year with SF and made all of 6 tackles before one last season with Washington then retiring. I liked the guy, but he never developed into what he should or could have been.

Steinbach -  The Browns signed Steinbach to a seven-year, $49.5 million contract (of which $17 million was guaranteed), making him at the time one of the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. He wasn't worth that kind of money. He was only named a Pro Bowl alternate one time and was released in 2012. 

Takeo Spikes - This one hurt... but is wasn't about money. The Bengals had tagged him previously but he wanted to play for a contender and left. Not much more they could have done with this one other than get him signed sooner or stop sucking sooner. Still..hated losing this one.

Sanu - Was the 4th option behind Green, Jones and Eifert. Honestly, with what he got paid, there was no way they would match that and keep him

Marvin Jones - This one I do blame the front office for, he never should have been allowed to hit FA. Should have locked him up before he started playing his final contract year, same thing they should have done with Zeitler.

Reggie Nelson - This was a perfect example of dropping the ***** ball. This guy rebuilt his career here and wanted to stay here....and for some reason, the team was afraid to sink the money into it. I know they wanted to see Shawn Williams play, but damn... letting Nelson go was just a bad move.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2017, 01:23 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: While I am not a defender of the front office (as I said earlier in this thread, they sign some guys but fail to keep other key pieces) some of your names aren't really fair.

Justin Smith was a better fit in the 49ers' defense than he was in the defense here in Cincy. 

Williams had 1 productive season after leaving. He signed a 6 year deal with Minnesota and got cut after 3 years, spent a year with SF and made all of 6 tackles before one last season with Washington then retiring. I liked the guy, but he never developed into what he should or could have been.

Steinbach -  The Browns signed Steinbach to a seven-year, $49.5 million contract (of which $17 million was guaranteed), making him at the time one of the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. He wasn't worth that kind of money. He was only named a Pro Bowl alternate one time and was released in 2012. 

Takeo Spikes - This one hurt... but is wasn't about money. The Bengals had tagged him previously but he wanted to play for a contender and left. Not much more they could have done with this one other than get him signed sooner or stop sucking sooner. Still..hated losing this one.

Sanu - Was the 4th option behind Green, Jones and Eifert. Honestly, with what he got paid, there was no way they would match that and keep him

Marvin Jones - This one I do blame the front office for, he never should have been allowed to hit FA. Should have locked him up before he started playing his final contract year, same thing they should have done with Zeitler.

Reggie Nelson - This was a perfect example of dropping the ***** ball. This guy rebuilt his career here and wanted to stay here....and for some reason, the team was afraid to sink the money into it. I know they wanted to see Shawn Williams play, but damn... letting Nelson go was just a bad move.

Agree with everything but Jones. The guy had missed 2 seasons straight. There was no way you would resign him without knowing what he could do. But they should have resigned him before he hit free agency. I do believe though he would have taken less money to go elsewhere he wanted to be a 1 not a 2. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 09:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Although I agree that Reggie was a better choice in 2016, that would leave up with an older, high-dollar option at Safety with the play sure to drop off.  Williams no doubt struggled in his new role early in the year, but improved throughout the season.  I feel confident going with Williams and Iloka moving forward.  I actually think with Derron Smith and Fej as the backups, it is a position of strength.  

And much like Marvin Jones, Reggie was offered near what the Raiders paid him, but he wanted to move on.  

Perhaps that was an unspoken message we should have put more stock in to going in to this season.  Why did these players move on when the money was similar?  I sure don't think Oakland and Detroit are nicer places to live (no offense).  But, honestly, was it a message that they were tired of the crap from guys like Burfict and Jones?  And maybe Marv to some extent?

Who knows.  Burfict is still the cornerstone of this defense, but Jones has given the Bengals a perfect out to get out of his contract.  His play dropped off tremendously.  He has been given too many chances.  With the public display of his lack of authority (and a terrible one at that) he needs to be gone.  Sign Dre K and release Adam.  Keeping Adam until he is signed is the only logical excuse for waiting.  

From my understanding, although the money was similar for the salaries in 2016, the Raiders offered a 2 year deal and the Bengals only offered a 1 year deal on Nelson. Additionally the Raiders offered Reggie better incentives on top of the deal, and his 2017 roster bonus became fully guaranteed if he played 65% of the snaps.  Something that wasn't guaranteed as easily in Cincy with the contract given to Williams, even if the Bengals did match the 2 yrs offered by Oakland.  They should have extended him before FA in my opinion.  But that would have likely meant losing Williams. 
Reply/Quote
We have never payed guards. Eric Steinbach and Evan Mathis.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote