Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franchise tag opens: Bengals?
I could see Taylor Rapp potentially coming in to play if we got priced out of Bell.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 03:40 PM)Stewy Wrote: One of the key reason Bates didn't sit out last year because he was a 2nd round pick and essentially had never been paid any big money as he was on his first contract.

LeVeon Bell's situation was unique in that he had already played on the TAG and banked millions, just like Bates did this year.  Thus, I find it very VERY likely that Bates will sit out a 2nd tag, since he just got paid enough to safely sit out, assuming he banked the pay instead of squandering it.

I fully expect that Bates will NOT play on a 2nd tag.

I dont think Bates would skip out on 14 million dollars. He'd be an absolute idiot to do so. 

The best that he can do is threaten it and use it as leverage for the Bengals to trade him. He wouldn't actually do it I wouldn't think. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
If Bates doesn't want to be here then let him go and good luck to him. We have more pressing matters to be concerned about.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:10 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: The franchise tag window opens today: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-franchise-tag-window-opens-today-lamar-jackson-orlando-brown-among-candidate.

Who do we anticipate the Bengals tagging, if anyone?

Opt out on the Tag this year, costs too much and both Boyd and Higgins are here for this season. No point in the Tag.

Maybe next year we might tag someone like Boyd who knows. Just need to extend Bell, Hurst, Apple, Perine and Flowers.
Reply/Quote
They will re-sign Bell, and offer Bates a contract. If Bates refuses, they will move forward with Bell and Dax Hill as safeties.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:33 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I truly don't get why we wouldn't tag Bates if we tagged him last year.

He would prob be pissed and want to force his way out...but too bad.

Because last year we did not have a 1st round pick with a year of experience ready to take that spot. This year we do. Plus, we stashed Anderson last year. He'll make the team this year. Though he is not a starter. 

If Bates' market is soft, then I coukd see us bringing him back. ButcI doubt it is THAT soft. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 02:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: Drue Crisman!

know its a joke but have been wondering if Crisman is the future for the Bengals or do they still need to be in the market for a punter ?

Not sold on him just yet 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 11:57 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why? 

He forced the team's hand in picking Dax we could have used that pick on another player to help the team win games. He let the national media and his agent manipulate him so why should we keep him. He is a hard-hitting safety and we saw none of that this year because he wanted to take it easy till he got a big pay day. We are not going to pay him what he thinks he is worth top 3 money. Good riddance IMO 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 04:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont think Bates would skip out on 14 million dollars. He'd be an absolute idiot to do so. 

The best that he can do is threaten it and use it as leverage for the Bengals to trade him. He wouldn't actually do it I wouldn't think. 

It worked out for Bell, and now it is the same exact situation vs. last offseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 02:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What he's saying is that both Vonn Bell and Jesse Bates are no longer under contract, thus not on the team.

OK…..not the way I understood it. I saw it stated that Dax and Bates didn’t play together last season. They did. Bengals drafted Dax a year before they needed him, which is always a good thing.

Lots of players throughout the NFL who don’t have a contract, but are tied to a specific team (i.e. could be franchised as just one example).

I see the Bengals resigning Bell partnered with Hill as our starters. Bates money is off the books.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 04:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont think Bates would skip out on 14 million dollars. He'd be an absolute idiot to do so. 

Bates wants GUARANTEED money which he will get from another team

No one is getting franchised. 

I'm getting a bit worried about another contract issue that hasn't been announced yet....The window for picking up the 5th year option for 2020 1st round draft picks opened Jan 5. They haven't picked it up yet...do you think they decided Joe isn't worth it?    Smirk Sarcasm

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 02:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What he's saying is that both Vonn Bell and Jesse Bates are no longer under contract, thus not on the team.

Technically, they are still under contract until 4pm (New York Time) on March 15, which is when NFL player contracts expire and the free agent period begins.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:10 PM)pally Wrote: Bates wants GUARANTEED money which he will get from another team

I'm getting a bit worried about another contract issue that hasn't been announced yet....The window for picking up the 5th year option for 2020 1st round draft picks opened Jan 5. They haven't picked it up yet...do you think they decided Joe isn't worth it?    Smirk Sarcasm

Seems like ATL has some interest.
Reply/Quote
I was surprised Uzomah bolted for the Jets, given he seemed very happy here and was making good money. Plus, the team and fan base loved him. But, he booked. Saw his play drop significantly and the Jets are in the throws of yet another QB fiasco. Wonder what he thinks, now?

I kind of view Bates the same way. Thought he liked it here. Then, all the posturing last year kind of surprised me. I saw a bunch of reports stating that Bates has to take care of his family. Well, don’t know how big his family is, or what their lifestyle is like, but 0s of millions of dollars should keep anyone happy for a very long time.

Have this conversation with colleagues all the time who quit to go to another position for more money, and then call me looking to come back. The obvious answer is always “well, the new company is a real PITA to work for”.

The FAs who have signed with the Bengals the last few years seem to love it here. Apparently, Bates doesn’t see that.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:10 PM)pally Wrote: Bates wants GUARANTEED money which he will get from another team

Him WANTING guaranteed money, or anything from another team, should have no impact on if the Bengals want to franchise him or not. 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 02:54 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I was surprised Uzomah bolted for the Jets, given he seemed very happy here and was making good money.  Plus, the team and fan base loved him.  But, he booked.  Saw his play drop significantly and the Jets are in the throws of yet another QB fiasco.  Wonder what he thinks, now?

I kind of view Bates the same way.  Thought he liked it here.  Then, all the posturing last year kind of surprised me.  I saw a bunch of reports stating that Bates has to take care of his family.  Well, don’t know how big his family is, or what their lifestyle is like, but 0s of millions of dollars should keep anyone happy for a very long time.  

Have this conversation with colleagues all the time who quit to go to another position for more money, and then call me looking to come back.  The obvious answer is always “well, the new company is a real PITA to work for”.

The FAs who have signed with the Bengals the last few years seem to love it here.  Apparently, Bates doesn’t see that.

That's kind of lame you are killing guys for going to make more money elsewhere. It's their career and profession. If someone wants to go leave and get theirs to take care of their families then more power to them. 

I haven't seen Uzi say once he regretted leaving. I work with people that have left our company for more money and have thrived since they've left.
Reply/Quote
I don't blame Bates for wanting the big bucks. Hell, I'd do exactly the same thing I were his age with his talents, but that doesn't mean I would expect to actually get paid what he wants.. Want in one hand, sh*t in the other and see what you get..
I'd love to keep Bates, but not for top safety money when we have other superstars to pay. Bell makes a whole lot more sense for a nice pay raise, but I doubt he pushes it to the extremes like Bates is doing.. 
In the meantime sign Adeniji to a twenty year guaranteed multi-hundreds of millions of dollars and call it a day..

What? You don't think he's worth at least $900,000,000 to play like a $1.50 player?   Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I could see us signing Bates, he is young and very good.

But if not another team will sign him for big bucks and we will get a 3rd compensatory pick in 2024.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2023, 08:22 PM)Go Cards Wrote: know its a joke but have been wondering if Crisman is the future for the Bengals or do they still need to be in the market for a punter ?

Not sold on him just yet 

Definitely need competition. I'm expecting the team to sign a rookie after the draft and we have a second consecutive training camp punter battle. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2023, 12:10 PM)pally Wrote: I'm getting a bit worried about another contract issue that hasn't been announced yet....The window for picking up the 5th year option for 2020 1st round draft picks opened Jan 5. They haven't picked it up yet...do you think they decided Joe isn't worth it?    Smirk Sarcasm

Is that when it starts? 

Watson: April 27th
Murray: April 27th
L Jackson: April 27th
Mahomes: April 29th
Allen: May 3rd

Just kind of assumed it didn't start until late April. It does mean we probably won't see a Burrow extension until May at the earliest. The tactic seems to be picking up the option on the QB and then extending. I guess it's a negotiation tool for the team because then you have 2 years of control left on the books.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote