Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed in Baltimore
(03-26-2024, 07:53 PM)basballguy Wrote: Why the **** is Biden offering to pay to replace the bridge?  Insurance companies aren’t even liable anymore?

How do you think an insurance company will pay to have a bridge built? You think if that was the case it would be settled in less than 10 years? 

This bridge is on Interstate I-695. Major highway, not some off shoot road. This is right outside the largest port in this country for roll on and roll off cargo. It is massively important not only to the state, but to the US economy. Federal government usually steps in when disaster strikes the country. If MD can't get the bridge rebuilt, Florida can start holding their own nuts when hurricanes hit. I, on the other hand, prefer when the government chooses to spend money on citizens, for citizens of the country. Lawsuits and insurance claims are for the courts to deal with, as time goes on. Federal government needs accelerate help here. If structural failure, a shipping accident or terrorists caused this to happen, the rebuild needs to be done. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was going to say this. The insurance companies will likely reimburse the government once everything plays out, but for the time being there needs to be immediate action taken because this will have a huge impact on people nationwide. Welcome back to supply chain issues and rising prices.

We deal with some of the port stuff.  No word yet on what or how they will re-route but it also affects the lives of the people who work at the ports and now will have to wait and see when they can work again.

Just sad all the way around.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
There have been numerous statements from the Biden administration on this accident/tragedy, Has the Republican candidate for President even acknowledged it?

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Coast Guard efforts have shifted from rescue to recovery

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2024, 08:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: We deal with some of the port stuff.  No word yet on what or how they will re-route but it also affects the lives of the people who work at the ports and now will have to wait and see when they can work again.

Just sad all the way around.

A Ferry service while the bridge is up again ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 03:04 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: A Ferry service while the bridge is up again ?

There is no way for a ferry service to make up that traffic flow. We're talking about over 30k vehicles per day.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 03:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is no way for a ferry service to make up that traffic flow. We're talking about over 30k vehicles per day.

How feasible is using the Army Corps of Engineers?  Also, how liable is the company who owns the ship likely to be?  It appears the ship had electrical issues, making the crash not the fault of the harbor pilot.  Of course, that is speculation at this point.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 05:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: How feasible is using the Army Corps of Engineers?  Also, how liable is the company who owns the ship likely to be?  It appears the ship had electrical issues, making the crash not the fault of the harbor pilot.  Of course, that is speculation at this point.

The Corps of Engineers will be integral in the cleanup of the channel.

We won't know how liable the ship owners will be until the investigation is complete.  Was it a sudden problem or was it an ongoing issue?  There are some reports that the ship had been having electric issues the entire time they were in port.  They'll find out a lot through the black boxes.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 02:37 PM)pally Wrote: There have been numerous statements from the Biden administration on this accident/tragedy,  Has the Republican candidate for President even acknowledged it?

Probably got his gag orders confused, but if you are that interested, get an account on TruthSocial and follow him, then you'll know.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 06:10 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Probably got his gag orders confused, but if you are that interested, get an account on TruthSocial and follow him, then you'll know.

I checked Truth Social...crickets except for hawking his personal "wealth" and playing victim.

Glad to see he is so focused on what is important for the USA

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 05:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: How feasible is using the Army Corps of Engineers?  Also, how liable is the company who owns the ship likely to be?  It appears the ship had electrical issues, making the crash not the fault of the harbor pilot.  Of course, that is speculation at this point.

The Army Corps of Engineers will 100% be involved in this, though this will involve many different agencies and contractors. As for liability, that will all depend on the NTSB investigation. It's hard to say where it will lie. Could be the ship owners, if something failed it could be the company that made that, hard to see how it all shakes out. I see insurance companies from multiple sides litigating this issue for the next few years to determine who is paying what. I do agree that based on preliminary information, though, it appears that the harbor pilot was not at fault.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 06:17 PM)pally Wrote: I checked Truth Social...crickets except for hawking his personal "wealth" and playing victim.

Glad to see he is so focused on what is important for the USA

You actually checked????
I have zero interest in supporting his media platform.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 05:39 PM)pally Wrote: The Corps of Engineers will be integral in the cleanup of the channel.

We won't know how liable the ship owners will be until the investigation is complete.  Was it a sudden problem or was it an ongoing issue?  There are some reports that the ship had been having electric issues the entire time they were in port.  They'll find out a lot through the black boxes.

Another botched maintenance to lower the costs maybe ?

Boeing knows about that.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2024, 07:57 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Another botched maintenance to lower the costs maybe ?

Boeing knows about that.

NO Arty! This is yet another DiversityEquityInclusion casualty.

https://www.axios.com/local/salt-lake-city/2024/03/26/baltimore-bridge-dei-utah-lawmaker-phil-lyman-misinformation

If you don't buy that, well, other alternative facts are on their way.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/politics/baltimore-bridge-collapse-conspiracy-theories/index.html
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 05:39 AM)Dill Wrote:

https://www.axios.com/local/salt-lake-city/2024/03/26/baltimore-bridge-dei-utah-lawmaker-phil-lyman-misinformation

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/politics/baltimore-bridge-collapse-conspiracy-theories/index.html

What a fool I am ... It was right in front me ... 

Beyond that, it's always the same song : Never search for a solution only someone to blame with all their inner hate while parading with a cross around their neck.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 05:39 AM)Dill Wrote:

LOL Extremists. 

So I guess that's representative of all R's right?
Reply/Quote
Sure seems like there should be a tug boat policy in place when a container ship is near bridges. I guess if all goes wrong then you have to call for one, which this ship did, but too late.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 12:05 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL Extremists. 

Not all but the most vocals without a doubt.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 12:05 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: LOL Extremists. 

Um, " representative of a theme driving Right wing commentary and legislation now,"

is how I would put it.

Therefore concerning.

Not worried about whether ALL Rs agree, just whether enough agree
to convince others and translate that conviction into policy.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2024, 04:49 PM)Dill Wrote: Um, " representative of a theme driving Right wing commentary and legislation now,"

is how I would put it.

Therefore concerning.

Not worried about whether ALL Rs agree, just whether enough agree
to convince others and translate that conviction into policy.

I think that message is getting twisted. 
Why is judging someone based on their character and merits a bad thing? 
Reply/Quote