Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Pollack
The very first mistake that Zac made was letting Pollack get away to the Jets. I'm fairly certain that Mixon would agree! He seemed to have the knack for getting more out of less, when it came to the horrible offensive line. They gave him lemons, and he made lemonade for 2018 AFCs leading rusher.
Not gonna happen this season.
I really do dislike complaining about such matters, but it's the little things that make teams good or great. Hell, he made Boling look like a servicable LT for awhile. Should have been retained. Rookie mistake by the 35 year old HC imho.
Reply/Quote
By letting him go, they let him out of his contract or fired him. I guess that was necessary so ZT could hire his friend Turner.

You know that Turner played a role in ZT getting the UC OC job?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:13 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The very first mistake that Zac made was letting Pollack get away to the Jets. I'm fairly certain that Mixon would agree! He seemed to have the knack for getting more out of less, when it came to the horrible offensive line. They gave him lemons, and he made lemonade for 2018 AFCs leading rusher.
I really do dislike complaining about such matters, but it's the little things that make teams good or great. Hell, he made Boling look like a servicable LT for awhile. Should have been retained. Rookie mistake by the 35 year old HC imho.

I really did not like the move to allow Pollack to go at the time.  Mixon averaged just under 5 ypc last year ,which with that line was pretty impressive.

However ZT clearly had the mandate to get his own guy in ..which is understandable.  

But the fact that unit is the worst position group on the team and is populated by guys they chose to retain (Hart), bring in (Smith, Miller) or draft (MJ) is pretty damning..especially as ZT was brought in based on his offensive credentials
Reply/Quote
If one of ZTs first moves when getting into power was jettisoning a decent coach so he could throw an NFL job at his no good dbag friend...oy. Let's just assume Pollack wanted out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Didn't like the move at the time and really hate it now.

Didn't realize Frank ended up with the Jets, hows their line ranked?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 08:49 AM)corpjet Wrote: Didn't like the move at the time and really hate it now.

Didn't realize Frank ended up with the Jets, hows their line ranked?

Jets are 31st in points scored, 32nd in pass yards and total yards.  That is right, worst than the Bengals.  Their rushing is 28th in NFL.  Pollack is doing wonders there... LMAO

Bengals are not much better though.   Bengals are 30th in points scored, 27th in total yards, 13th pass yards, but 32nd in rushing.  The Bengals have not even looked remotely good at getting push at the LOS even during the preseason.  But pass pro has improved.  

IN 2018:
Bengals (with Pollack) 17th  scoring
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:24 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jets are 31st in points scored, 32nd in pass yards and total yards.  That is right, worst than the Bengals.  Their rushing is 28th in NFL.  Pollack is doing wonders there... LMAO

Besides that, didn't he ASK to be released?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:24 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jets are 31st in points scored, 32nd in pass yards and total yards.  That is right, worst than the Bengals.  Their rushing is 28th in NFL.  Pollack is doing wonders there... LMAO

They've also been playing a 3rd string QB for a few weeks now and we are in "win now" mode, though.
Reply/Quote
This board is the most bipolar place I've ever visited. When Pollack was here, everyone said he was an idiot because he played Redmond in front of Westerman (even though Alexander and Turner made the same assessment) and kept Bobby Hart at RT. Now that he's gone he was the best thing since sliced bread....
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:35 AM)Wyche Wrote: Besides that, didn't he ASK to be released?

It is not clear.  But Pollack was the last Bengal position coach to be released.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:36 AM)Nately120 Wrote: They've also been playing a 3rd string QB for a few weeks now and we are in "win now" mode, though.

Bengals are also without Glenn (forever concussion), Boiling (retired), Redmond (Suspended)...
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:51 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: It is not clear.  But Pollack was the last Bengal position coach to be released.  

Seems I recall they actually wanted to keep him, but he wanted out. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:52 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Bengals are also without Glenn (forever concussion), Boiling (retired), Redmond (Suspended)...

Yea but Dalton is a bit better than Mulkus Fulkus or whomever they have back there at QB.  I joke about  Dolegala being the savior, but if we were starting him from week 2 onward I think we'd be even MORE winless now even though that is impossible.

(10-04-2019, 09:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seems I recall they actually wanted to keep him, but he wanted out. 

We will never know the details, but it doesn't say much for Mike Brown's negotiating skills if he can't keep a guy here over going to the Jets.

EDIT - A lateral move, no less. That could be a little concerning seeing as Geuuenether did the same thing. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but coaches taking lateral moves to go elsewhere seems like a red flag of sorts. Then again, it only happened twice as far as I can recall so maybe it's nothing.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: Seems I recall they actually wanted to keep him, but he wanted out. 

I am not sure.  But I was surprised when he left the team.  I think it was Simmons and Pollack last standing...
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yea but Dalton is a bit better than Mulkus Fulkus or whomever they have back there at QB.  I joke about  Dolegala being the savior, but if we were starting him from week 2 onward I think we'd be even MORE winless now even though that is impossible.

We will never know the details, but it doesn't say much for Mike Brown's negotiating skills if he can't keep a guy here over going to the Jets.

Jets        2019 have 3.0 Rushing Yards per attempt
Bengals   2019 have 2.8 Rushing Yards per attempt

Bengals do not get much push at LOS though.  It has been noticeable since Preseason.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:04 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jets        2019 have 3.0 Rushing Yards per attempt
Bengals   2019 have 2.8 Rushing Yards per attempt

Bengals do not get much push at LOS though.  It has been noticeable since Preseason.   

I'll admit both are crap situations and both teams are quite damaged on offense, so it doesn't matter much.  Still, it goes back to me just hoping ZT didn't want Pollack out so he could hire Turner, because the last thing this team needs is more nepotistic duds.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll admit both are crap situations and both teams are quite damaged on offense, so it doesn't matter much.  Still, it goes back to me just hoping ZT didn't want Pollack out so he could hire Turner, because the last thing this team needs is more nepotistic duds.

I think Jim Turner needs to be fired. Taylor has made some mistakes and hiring his position coaching staff in my opinion.   But if I recall correctly he did not have a lot of time to make decisions after leaving the Los Angeles Rams.  I still think he should get Mike Sherman involved and maybe Bill Callahan.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:16 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Jim Turner needs to be fired. Taylor has made some mistakes and hiring his position coaching staff in my opinion.   But if I recall correctly he did not have a lot of time to make decisions after leaving the Los Angeles Rams.  I still think he should get Mike Sherman involved and maybe Bill Callahan.

That's a good point.  Him being unavailable until the last moment due to being in the SB, his inexperience and difficulty attracting high end assistants, and the Mike Brown effect were likely a bit of a one-two punch followed by the haymaker that is our organizational culture.
Reply/Quote
Such a weird thread. The Cowboys chose to let him leave and preferred bringing in Paul Alexander over having him, that's a red flag. My understanding of the situation was he wanted things done one way and Taylor wanted them done a different way, so he is gone. I get the feeling that maybe the guy is just difficult to work with. Either way, this line isn't bad because of technique or coaching because it's been a bad line through three different coaches at this point. This line is bad because it lacks talent, I think this more than anything proves that.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:13 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: The very first mistake that Zac made was letting Pollack get away to the Jets. I'm fairly certain that Mixon would agree! He seemed to have the knack for getting more out of less, when it came to the horrible offensive line. They gave him lemons, and he made lemonade for 2018 AFCs leading rusher.

My understanding from what I read, Pollard wanted out. You don't keep a coach that doesn't want to be there.
Reply/Quote