Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Pollack back?
(01-09-2024, 03:16 AM)Synric Wrote: Clint Boiling too but your point stands.

Don't get it twisted though McNally is an amazing coach. I had a couple opportunities to go to his seminars and met him once. I love his Twitter feed its all football and he teaches from his bathroom. Lol.

Clint Boling was drafted in 2011.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 03:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Clint Boling was drafted in 2011.

My bad you're right yea the last decade of OL picks and development has been meh. I've pointed out Jim a few times over the years.... great coach but scouting well the 90s and the 2010 teens speak for themselves.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 03:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well maybe they shouldn’t…

I see he’s been here since 2012. Which is right around the time we started sucking at drafting OL. Kevin Zeitler is pretty much the only good pick during that timeframe. That’s horrendous.

And even with Kevin Zeitler who is having a long career of being a solid above average player, they traded down to get him when they could have gotten David DeCastro (6 Pro Bowls, 2x 1st Team All-Pro) in their original slot. We got Brandon Thompson with the extra pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 06:37 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And even with Kevin Zeitler who is having a long career of being a solid above average player, they traded down to get him when they could have gotten David DeCastro (6 Pro Bowls, 2x 1st Team All-Pro) in their original slot. We got Brandon Thompson with the extra pick.

Hell, in 2021 we could have still had Sam Cosmi or Creed Humphrey even after trading back.

And I believe the two 4th rounders we picked up we turned into Tyler Shelvin and Dante Smith…

Pain.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:30 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: While I'd have no problem if we got a new OL coach, Duke and Potts might want to listen a little more to Pollack in the draft room. Apparently he was banging the table to draft Creed Humphrey. He also wanted to draft Trey Smith later in the draft. Both guys have been starters in KC since they were drafted.

Our 2021 picks of Carmen, Smith, and Hill combined this season for ONE snap. It was on ST.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CarmJa00.htm

13 snaps, 1 on teams

I definitely think that's wrong though, as I could've sworn I saw Carman out on teams, each time he was dressed, but anyways.

(01-09-2024, 03:16 AM)Synric Wrote: Clint Boiling too but your point stands.

Don't get it twisted though McNally is an amazing coach. I had a couple opportunities to go to his seminars and met him once. I love his Twitter feed its all football and he teaches from his bathroom. Lol.

Boling was 2011 and we DID draft Jonah too Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Hate to see anyone lose their job but damn, he needs to go. That final drive against Pitt was ridiculous. Sacked 4 out of 6 plays. I just don’t get why we still have this dude. Fix the damn line already, on both sides.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:30 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: While I'd have no problem if we got a new OL coach, Duke and Potts might want to listen a little more to Pollack in the draft room. Apparently he was banging the table to draft Creed Humphrey. He also wanted to draft Trey Smith later in the draft. Both guys have been starters in KC since they were drafted.

Our 2021 picks of Carmen, Smith, and Hill combined this season for ONE snap. It was on ST.

(01-09-2024, 02:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I heard the same thing. Which goes along with what was being reported as far as Carman being Mike Brown’s guy.

Trey Hopkins was on the hook for 6 million for 2 years. They weren’t drafting a center. A lot of teams missed on Creed. He’s from my hometown and I personally know his Dad.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 10:56 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: and we DID draft Jonah too Wink

ATL took Chris Lindstrom 3 picks later, and he is a 2x Pro Bowler, and graded out at an elite 87.6 this season. He’s a Guard, but still. Not getting the best OL from that draft kind of hurts considering we took the first one off the board.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 11:28 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Trey Hopkins was on the hook for 6 million for 2 years. They weren’t drafting a center. A lot of teams missed on Creed. He’s from my hometown and I personally know his Dad.

Bet they’d like to go back and eat a fairly manageable dead cap hit to gain an All Pro.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 11:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Bet they’d like to go back and eat a fairly manageable dead cap hit to gain an All Pro.

And such is draft life. Joe Montana and Tom Brady come to mind. My buddy was having lunch with Bob Stoops ( just had retired 6 months earlier) and OU was redshirting Creed (stupid). Stoops said heck the best linemen on the team is Creed he’s redshirting. The current center was a 2 year starter but the rest were Orlando, Ben Powers Denver starting guard, Cody Ford, and Bobby Evans 5 years in NFL. He was great day one! But I’m not a fan in the whole OL. Whether coaching, development, scheme, evaluation, or scouting.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 11:19 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Hate to see anyone lose their job but damn, he needs to go. That final drive against Pitt was ridiculous. Sacked 4 out of 6 plays. I just don’t get why we still have this dude. Fix the damn line already, on both sides.

Yup

Fix the damn Oline for crying out loud. Pollack needs gone, for sure. And we need a new/better RT and LG.

If only one of the three happens it's going to be "same old story, same old song and dance" next season I'm afraid.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 08:22 PM)ClarkHarris4Prez Wrote: Has there been any word on him coming back? This was his 3rd year back and that’s the length of most of these assistant contracts I assumed….So I was HOPING we would move on since the guy has shown ZERO ability to coach up our draft picks and our line has continued to be bad every year, despite a lot of decent talent.

Seriously, how do they think they can sell keeping him to this fanbase? My God how stubborn are they?! It’s so frustrating. They are SO CLOSE to being a yearly top team, yet they just refuse to take the final couple steps that the top teams take. Like keeping a position coach year after year that has cost this team 2 super bowls already.

I hope someone here can tell me they’ve heard something that could give us hope he is gone?

Eh, I wouldn't expect too much, PA was here twenty five years.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 02:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I heard the same thing. Which goes along with what was being reported as far as Carman being Mike Brown’s guy.

....and Mikey got that endorsement from?  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 03:21 AM)Synric Wrote: My bad you're right yea the last decade of OL picks and development has been meh. I've pointed out Jim a few times over the years.... great coach but scouting well the 90s and the 2010 teens speak for themselves.

Jim's been a respected line coach a very long time. He was a good coach in the league. As Nico noted though, his evals have been really bad for Cincinnati.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 11:19 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Hate to see anyone lose their job but damn, he needs to go. That final drive against Pitt was ridiculous. Sacked 4 out of 6 plays. I just don’t get why we still have this dude. Fix the damn line already, on both sides.

Buncha sacks late in KC too.

Reply/Quote
Frank Pollock coached basically three different personnel groups with similar results. It’s not them. It’s him.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 01:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Frank Pollock coached basically three different personnel groups with similar results. It’s not them. It’s him.

Duke Tobin has assembled awful OL’s with 3 different OL coaches. It’s not them, it’s him…

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Wink

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 01:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Duke Tobin has assembled awful OL’s with 3 different OL coaches. It’s not them, it’s him…

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. Wink

That’s a great point. Here’s what I don’t understand; maybe you can help because my knowledge is predominantly on the defensive side of the ball.

Duke Tobin does his due diligence. We see his offensive line selections had excellent college careers. When they come to Cincinnati, college maulers become professional turnstiles. How?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 01:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s a great point.  Here’s what I don’t understand; maybe you can help because my knowledge is predominantly on the defensive side of the ball.

Duke Tobin does his due diligence.  We see his offensive line selections had excellent college careers.  When they come to Cincinnati, college maulers become professional turnstiles.  How?

On draft picks, they haven't just sucked here, they've sucked everywhere. Some aren't in the league anymore. Since Zeitler, they've had some REALLY bad picks. Ogbuehi, Price, Fisher, Carman, Smith, etc. Two different head coaches, three different oline coaches. Like Nico, I believe the truth lies in the middle.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2024, 01:30 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: On draft picks, they haven't just sucked here, they've sucked everywhere. Some aren't in the league anymore. Since Zeitler, they've had some REALLY bad picks. Ogbuehi, Price, Fisher, Carman, Smith, etc. Two different head coaches, three different oline coaches. Like Nico, I believe the truth lies in the middle.

This is also a good point. The three best players on the Cincinnati offensive line — Karras, Cappa, and Brown — all arrived via free agency NOT via the draft.
Reply/Quote