Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Pollack interview on Bengals.com
I actually was aghast that they are having him work with Ogbuehi when the proper reaction should have been immediate release. Og and Bodine should have both been very publicly cut the day the season ended.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 05:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: I actually was aghast that they are having him work with Ogbuehi when the proper reaction should have been immediate release. Og and Bodine should have both been very publicly cut the day the season ended.

Why cut Bodine when he was going to be a FA anyways?

Why not work with a player regardless of how he has played in the past?

Even if he has sucked under PA, Ogbuehi was a 1st round pick that has major athleticism.

He needs to learn to get his hands up faster and play nasty to the whistle. Pollack could inspire the guy yah never know.

If Pollack can teach him how to do this it would be a major step in saving our team.

PA was anything but inspiring. I say we start anew, like Pollack said, fresh start.
Reply/Quote
I really enjoyed listening to the Pollack interview. I like the way he explains his thoughts on things, without getting overly animated, or tipping off as to what he's holding back in his thoughts. I also sense that underneath that rather clam demeanor, there is a grizzly teacher that's not afraid to put his foot up a guy ass if he needs it. I also get the sense that he will get irritated rather quickly by mindless mistakes and poor execution.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2018, 03:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: In the video, Pollack was specifically asked by Dan Hoard what he thought about Cedric Ogbuehi coming out of A&M.
He said, "I really liked his movement skills, his athleticism, he's got great length, he can bend, he can run. He's got all these great tools to develop and that's what really impressed me the most."

Not a damn thing about a mean streak though or playing smart though.

Yup. Pollack cares about physical and tough guys. Ogbhuei is in trouble. Fisher has a shot but cedric is done.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 06:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hear ya man.....that's why I'm on board for spending some cash on Solder.  If not, draft one.  I was alluding to the sad that fact that our starting LG is the best LT on the team. Mellow

Hell, I'm on board with getting Solder and drafting the best OT available at 12. Give them to Pollack and let him knock that "best LT" mantle off Boling. This lousy Oline business is way past overdue for correction.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2018, 06:00 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hear ya man.....that's why I'm on board for spending some cash on Solder.  If not, draft one.  I was alluding to the sad that fact that our starting LG is the best LT on the team. Mellow

I realize that a few weeks ago, I said my choice for "big" FA signing would be Jensen, the Center.  However, I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking, and leaning toward Solder.  What changes my mind?  Coach Pollack seemed to show a glint of excitement when talking about Westerman and Redmond.  Seems he sees what we saw in limited action, aggressive players.

(02-17-2018, 02:05 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Hell, I'm on board with getting Solder and drafting the best OT available at 12. Give them to Pollack and let him knock that "best LT" mantle off Boling. This lousy Oline business is way past overdue for correction.

i realize that we've already gotten the annual "we have no money for FA" article from Hobson.  However, eliminating some dead weight contracts from the payroll, say guys like Michael Johnson and Adam Jones, would pretty much free up enough money to fund a player like Nate Solder.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I get the Mike Zimmer “vibe” from Frank Pollack. He sounds smart, motivated, and mean.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 10:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I realize that a few weeks ago, I said my choice for "big" FA signing would be Jensen, the Center.  However, I'm starting to come around to your way of thinking, and leaning toward Solder.  What changes my mind?  Coach Pollack seemed to show a glint of excitement when talking about Westerman and Redmond.  Seems he sees what we saw in limited action, aggressive players.

i realize that we've already gotten the annual "we have no money for FA" article from Hobson.  However, eliminating some dead weight contracts from the payroll, say guys like Michael Johnson and Adam Jones, would pretty much free up enough money to fund a player like Nate Solder.

Think this every year but we always keep the deadweight around and part ways with solid players it seems. 

Never have understood this theory.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 05:33 PM)Joelist Wrote: I actually was aghast that they are having him work with Ogbuehi when the proper reaction should have been immediate release. Og and Bodine should have both been very publicly cut the day the season ended.

No need to cut Og before we at least give Pollack a chance to work with him.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Everyone agrees he has elite physical skills.  It would have been silly to cut him immediately after the season ended.  

Andit was impossible to cut Bodine because he was no longer under contract.

Some fans take this way to personal.  I am surprised some are not calling for tar and feathers or a public flogging.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No need to cut Og before we at least give Pollack a chance to work with him.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Everyone agrees he has elite physical skills.  It would have been silly to cut him immediately after the season ended.  

Some fans take this way to personal.  I am surprised some are not calling for tar and feathers or a public flogging.

I don't expect them to cut Cedric while he's under contract.  That would be fairly unprecedented for them.  

I do however, think that it would be a big mistake to go into the 2018 season with him slotted as your unchallenged left tackle.  They need to either spend a high pick or sign somebody to replace him as soon as possible.  He should have to prove he's improved significantly in camp and fight for his job.  

I'm pretty sure they know this and will have a legit contingency in place soon (not Bobby Hart).

Ogbuehi as he is can't be the starting left tackle in 2018 if you're serious about getting better.
Reply/Quote
Here's a question from a Brit lacking knowledge of such things:

What contact/time/training will Pollack have with the current line before the draft?

Looking at this link, we can commence off season workout programs on April 16th, 10 days before the draft:

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-important-nfl-dates/

What do they mean by 'off season workout programs' here, and how much can he learn in this time about the viability of our current players before deciding on his draft needs?
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 02:16 PM)dnkw Wrote: Here's a question from a Brit lacking knowledge of such things:

What contact/time/training will Pollack have with the current line before the draft?

Looking at this link, we can commence off season workout programs on April 16th, 10 days before the draft:

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2018-important-nfl-dates/

What do they mean by 'off season workout programs' here, and how much can he learn in this time about the viability of our current players before deciding on his draft needs?

Due to those workouts being in such close proximity to the draft, I'm not sure if any information gained from those workouts would have much bearing on draft strategy.  

I would guess that Coach Pollack would most likely have to determine needs, based upon what he's seen in film of the current players.  Not to discount the value of that, as I'm sure that he can determine much from watching film in coordination with a personal interview.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 02:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Due to those workouts being in such close proximity to the draft, I'm not sure if any information gained from those workouts would have much bearing on draft strategy.  

I would guess that Coach Pollack would most likely have to determine needs, based upon what he's seen in film of the current players.  Not to discount the value of that, as I'm sure that he can determine much from watching film in coordination with a personal interview.

Thank you.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 12:55 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't expect them to cut Cedric while he's under contract.  That would be fairly unprecedented for them.  

I do however, think that it would be a big mistake to go into the 2018 season with him slotted as your unchallenged left tackle.  They need to either spend a high pick or sign somebody to replace him as soon as possible.  He should have to prove he's improved significantly in camp and fight for his job.  

I'm pretty sure they know this and will have a legit contingency in place soon (not Bobby Hart).

Ogbuehi as he is can't be the starting left tackle in 2018 if you're serious about getting better.

Nice post, all true. No need to cut Og, as Fred says give Pollack a chance to work with him before we cut him.

Og does have some rare skills and if he can gain enough muscle, get physical and nasty like Pollack wants from his Lineman
he might have some value to us. But you are correct it would be a giant mistake to have Og slated as the starting LT without
major, major improvement. Like different player improvement lol
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 02:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Due to those workouts being in such close proximity to the draft, I'm not sure if any information gained from those workouts would have much bearing on draft strategy.  

Doesn't seem like that much time on the surface, but as you say he has enough film to determine if there is enough physical talent to work with. I imagine the week or so he has will be spent on looking at mental acuity for learning new scheme(s) and work ethic. Still ..... it's one thing to pass the eye test, and to even have all the right answers, given with enthusiasm. It's another for the guy walk the walk, especially in the face of making major changes. This might be overly harsh, but I doubt Pollack will have to spend much time in determining moving on from Ogbuehi will be the best thing for the team.

The one thought that keeps coming back to me is with watching Ogbuehi fail as much as I have since he's been here, not once did I say to myself "Wow, at least he's an amazing physical talent". 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 02:16 PM)dnkw Wrote: Here's a question from a Brit lacking knowledge of such things:

He gets zero contact. It’s a joke. The union screwed the players as usual.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 06:51 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Doesn't seem like that much time on the surface, but as you say he has enough film to determine if there is enough physical talent to work with. I imagine the week or so he has will be spent on looking at mental acuity for learning new scheme(s) and work ethic. Still ..... it's one thing to pass the eye test, and to even have all the right answers, given with enthusiasm. It's another for the guy walking the walk, especially in the face of making major changes. This might be overly harsh, but I doubt Pollack will have to spend much time in determining moving on from Ogbuehi will be the best thing for the team.

The one thought that keeps coming back to me is with watching Ogbuehi fail as much as I have since he's been here, not once did I say to myself "Wow, at least he's an amazing physical talent"

I don't know about that.  There were a few times that I thought to my self, "That guy is amazing, he jumped out of that DE's way, quicker than shit".

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about that.  There were a few times that I thought to my self, "That guy is amazing, he jumped out of that DE's way, quicker than shit".

Trying to get a little enthusiasm to where I hope the new coaching additions can help. A player 3yrs in I guess could learn a different method from a different coach which makes them successful. Good Lord, what they have had for coaching thus-far has been ridiculously horrible. So here's to hanging my hat on the new coaching staff. We know how horrible it's been with these turds up until now. Maybe they have been wrongly coached? I might be resting my hat (figure of speech, I don't even wear a friggin hat, lol...) on a dandelion of hope, but? There's still a possibility, I think? Hell I don't know! Screw this! I wanna break stuff and listen to the nookie! 

Cool

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2018, 06:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really enjoyed listening to the Pollack interview.  I like the way he explains his thoughts on things, without getting overly animated, or tipping off as to what he's holding back in his thoughts.  I also sense that underneath that rather clam demeanor, there is a grizzly teacher that's not afraid to put his foot up a guy ass if he needs it.  I also get the sense that he will get irritated rather quickly by mindless mistakes and poor execution.

I get that sense, too. I doubt we'll see him publicly defending crappy play or saying people are on a "witch hunt". 

(02-17-2018, 02:05 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Hell, I'm on board with getting Solder and drafting the best OT available at 12. Give them to Pollack and let him knock that "best LT" mantle off Boling. This lousy Oline business is way past overdue for correction.

So much this. I want our top FA signing and our top pick to be on o-line. It's by far the biggest issue with this team, so it's needs to be by far our biggest offseason priority.

(02-17-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No need to cut Og before we at least give Pollack a chance to work with him.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Everyone agrees he has elite physical skills.  It would have been silly to cut him immediately after the season ended.  

If he doesn't fit the scheme or what Pollack wants, trading him should be a big possibility. Not cutting. Someone else surely liked him coming out of the draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get that sense, too. I doubt we'll see him publicly defending crappy play or saying people are on a "witch hunt". 

So much this. I want our top FA signing and our top pick to be on o-line. It's by far the biggest issue with this team, so it's needs to be by far our biggest offseason priority.

If he doesn't fit the scheme or what Pollack wants, trading him should be a big possibility. Not cutting. Someone else surely liked him coming out of the draft.

While someone else might have liked him pre draft, do you honestly think with all of the tape on him now at the pro level anyone would give up more than a toaster for him? The only way a trade would get done is if PA convinced Jerry to pull the trigger and I don't see that happening.
Reply/Quote