Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Pollack our new OL Coach
(01-12-2018, 01:07 PM)Wyche Wrote: Just checking in to make sure this was really real.  Holy shit!

Thought it was a dream huh, i almost did too, had to keep checking my phone last night and again this morning lol

(01-12-2018, 01:22 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Stunning development for Mike Brown to successfully hire the best o line coach available.

This is not Bungel like.

If we sign one or two very high quality free agents- and I hope a center is one is one of them- I may start having some hope again.

True, this is not bungal like. Hate this term but we have seen some major screwups in the past.

This was being on the ball and snatching the guy we wanted up before anyone else could. WTF?

I think Guard or a veteran Tackle are much more likely than a Center in this FA as Sunset here says.

(01-12-2018, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The Center position is looking rather lean, for the upcoming Free Agency crop.  

Want to Draft a Center like Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, James Daniels or even grab a versatile guy like Isaiah Wynn.

Lots of great prospects in this draft and a player like Wynn can play nearly ever position, even Center i bet.

We can get the majority of these guys with our 2nd round pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thought it was a dream huh, i almost did too, had to keep checking my phone last night and again this morning lol

True, this is not bungal like. Hate this term but we have seen some major screwups in the past.

This was being on the ball and snatching the guy we wanted up before anyone else could. WTF?

I think Guard or a veteran Tackle are much more likely than a Center in this FA as Sunset here says.

Want to Draft a Center like Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, James Daniels or even grab a versatile guy like Isaiah Wynn.

Lots of great prospects in this draft and a player like Wynn can play nearly ever position, even Center i bet.

We can get the majority of these guys with our 2nd round pick.

LOL.....yeah, this was a bigger shocker than firing PA.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Can Boiling Play Center? Redmon and or westerman look like they could be a perminate addition to the Guard spot.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 01:22 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Stunning development for Mike Brown to successfully hire the best o line coach available.

This is not Bungel like.

If we sign one or two very high quality free agents- and I hope a center is one is one of them- I may start having some hope again.

Sounds like someone else is making the coaching hires...  Someone like Marvin lewis.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 02:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sounds like someone else is making the coaching hires...  Someone like Marvin lewis.

When you say it like that, it almost sounds as if Marvin is being allowed to act as GM.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 02:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: LOL.....yeah, this was a bigger shocker than firing PA.

I don't know about that but the way they hired Pollack so fast really blew my mind. Ocho's thread was only a couple
hours before this happening. I mean they were really on the ball this time and i cannot remember a time where they
were. They usually wait and pick up scraps.

(01-12-2018, 02:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Can Boiling Play Center?  Redmon and or westerman look like they could be a perminate addition to the Guard spot.

Boling has lined up at Center before, i think he could. Great to have a versatile player like him.

Westerman was compared to Alex Mack in college and the experts said he could move to Center.

Might want to give this a shot over moving Boling again.

Boling did not look too bad on Dalton's blindside for never playing there before.

(01-12-2018, 02:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sounds like someone else is making the coaching hires...  Someone like Marvin lewis.

I have been a Marv hater for years but he seems to be making good decisions, great one with Pollack IMHO.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 02:39 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: LOL.....yeah, this was a bigger shocker than firing PA.

I truly believe part of the most recent negotiations between Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis involved the speed at which the Front Office reacts to change. Once Paul Alexander was let go interviews immediately started to replace him — but Frank Pollack wasn’t being considered because Dallas hadn’t let him go yet. Once they did, the Bengals pounced like a, well, they pounced like a tiger. Marvin might have demanded more flexibility too.
Reply/Quote
So 9 games into the season, our PFF ratings for the line are:

Boling: 62.9 (#38 Guard) - HUGE dropoff from where Boling was last year.
Price: 56.5
Hopkins: 60.6 (#23 Center)
Redmond: 55.9 - (#55 Guard)
Glenn: 60.7 (#57 Tackle)
Hart: 55.3 (#66 Tackle)

The ratings for the line as a Unit may actually be worse than last year as we had Andre Smith with a decent rating and Boling was in the upper 70's most of the year and even touched on the 80's.

Price actually grades out worse than Bodine so far.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So 9 games into the season, our PFF ratings for the line are:

The ratings for the line as a Unit may actually be worse than last year as we had Andre Smith with a decent rating and Boling was in the upper 70's most of the year and even touched on the 80's.

Price has only played in a couple of games, and I don't care how PFF is grading the individual linemen, the line as a whole is doing a much better job protecting Andy than they did last year. THAT is what is important, not individual stats....
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So 9 games into the season, our PFF ratings for the line are:

Oh well, Fire Pollock now and let Marv run the O-Line

Did you honestly expect them to go from the worst in the NFL to a top 10 line in 1 season after only drafting 1 player and bringing in Glenn & Hart?
Pollock is a very good O-Line coach but he isn't a miracle worker
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Price has only played in a couple of games, and I don't care how PFF is grading the individual linemen, the line as a whole is doing a much better job protecting Andy than they did last year. THAT is what is important, not individual stats....

The run blocking is terrible. Mixon makes insane cuts to gain yardage.

The offense runs a ton of screens and quick, short passes. The pass blocking is still bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The run blocking is terrible. Mixon makes insane cuts to gain yardage.

The offense runs a ton of screens and quick, short passes. The pass blocking is still bad.

See what you want.... I do not see Dalton running for his life like he did last year, when they ran a ton of screens and quick short passes.... I'm not sure what you were expecting in the 1st year here...
Reply/Quote
The OL is better than last year and Lazor seems to be doing what he can with what he has.

It is the D that is not holding up their end, clearly.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: See what you want.... I do not see Dalton running for his life like he did last year, when they ran a ton of screens and quick short passes.... I'm not sure what you were expecting in the 1st year here...

Yeah, while the grades may not look that great, the game action is certainly better.  Dalton was ravaged last season, and Mixon didn't even have time to make a cut.  They were that bad.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 04:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, while the grades may not look that great, the game action is certainly better.  Dalton was ravaged last season, and Mixon didn't even have time to make a cut.  They were that bad.

I have to agree, they look better as a group.  I don't care what the ratings service numbers say.  Give Price a few consecutive games to find his groove, and I'm betting the interior numbers go up, across the board.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 05:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have to agree, they look better as a group.  I don't care what the ratings service numbers say.  Give Price a few consecutive games to find his groove, and I'm betting the interior numbers go up, across the board.

I have a feeling you are right....

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 05:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: I have a feeling you are right....

I am starting to get worried about Boling's long term reliability.  He's been banged up the past couple years, always tries to play through like a trooper, but I'm fearing that all the little nagging issues are starting to take an accumulative toll on him.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 05:22 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I am starting to get worried about Boling's long term reliability.  He's been banged up the past couple years, always tries to play through like a trooper, but I'm fearing that all the little nagging issues are starting to take an accumulative toll on him.

Yep, whilst every other line position has been up for grabs , merry go round for last couple of seasons Boling has been our assumed constant..high quality LG and pinch hitting at LT.

If he starts to become more injury prone then the longer term RG/OT issues are not the only problem.

I still want to know what Westerman can do ....seems Pollack as well as Paul Alexander do not trust him??   

All i know is that end of last year when we were forced to put best 5 linemen out there (BOling at LT,Westerman in at OG) we looked better last 2 games.   

I'm not currently as high on Price as some and think Trey H did at least as good a job as him at Center...with that i would be keen to see westerman at guard and see how he goes.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 05:52 PM)sonofstat Wrote: I still want to know what Westerman can do ....seems Pollack as well as Paul Alexander do not trust him??   

All i know is that end of last year when we were forced to put best 5 linemen out there (BOling at LT,Westerman in at OG) we looked better last 2 games.   

Actually, I have a different opinion about the Westerman situation than most.  Personally, I feel like he's the only one that they trust to back up Boling.  Now, why they wouldn't have him on the field, getting reps, experience, and honing his skills at another spot, I have no clue.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, I have a different opinion about the Westerman situation than most.  Personally, I feel like he's the only one that they trust to back up Boling.  Now, why they wouldn't have him on the field, getting reps, experience, and honing his skills at another spot, I have no clue.

I don't know man..... after last season i watched back the last 2 games on gamepass where Westerman played significantly and he looked good/better than Trey and Redmond to my untrained eye.

That said he presumably has had a fair chance under Pollack as well as PA and he's still not getting first team snaps so I guess you have to trust them.

IMHO he is one of the top 5 linemen irrespective and would give him more opportunity
Reply/Quote