Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frank Pollack
(10-04-2019, 10:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: That's a good point.  Him being unavailable until the last moment due to being in the SB, his inexperience and difficulty attracting high end assistants, and the Mike Brown effect were likely a bit of a one-two punch followed by the haymaker that is our organizational culture.

Let's face it...we're not an attractive job for HC's or assistants. They know who the management is here. They know our free agency habits. They know our lack of scouting. These things aren't secrets.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:24 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jets are 31st in points scored, 32nd in pass yards and total yards.  That is right, worst than the Bengals.  Their rushing is 28th in NFL.  Pollack is doing wonders there... LMAO

Bengals are not much better though.   Bengals are 30th in points scored, 27th in total yards, 13th pass yards, but 32nd in rushing.  The Bengals have not even looked remotely good at getting push at the LOS even during the preseason.  But pass pro has improved.  

IN 2018:
Bengals (with Pollack) 17th  scoring
When I posted this, I was aware that the Jets aren't crushing it to n the run game. After the Monday night game all I could think about was Mixon and the non-existent run game. To go from the AFC rushing leader to back of the pack has to be challenging for him ,mentally. Last season the team was playing good football til AJ went down.
(10-04-2019, 09:35 AM)Wyche Wrote: Besides that, didn't he ASK to be released?
Honestly, I wasn't aware of his release situation. He probably didn't want to be involved with a 35 yo HC and the possible shit show that sure to follow. I just know that we could run the ball when he was here.
(10-04-2019, 09:39 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This board is the most bipolar place I've ever visited. When Pollack was here,  everyone said he was an idiot because he played Redmond in front of Westerman (even though Alexander and Turner made the same assessment) and kept Bobby Hart at RT. Now that he's gone he was the best thing since sliced bread....

I've never not one time bashed Pollack or Turner. I realize we have serious injuries on the oline. Glenn and even Williams are pretty big losses. That said, Pollack helped produce the AFCs leading rusher last season. Basically, doing it with the same level of talent that we currently have on the team.
Reply/Quote
I didn't create this thread to bash Turner or Zac. I just want someone to fix the damn run game. It all starts with that. Getting AJ healthy will help. Just by being on the field opponents have to account for him. Right now defenses are putting 8 in the box stopping the run on 1st and 2nd. They can do this know that percentages are very high on 3rd down for a sack,int, or incompletion.
If things don't change, this team won't win a single game this season. On occassion I get stuck watching he Dolphins on my local TV affiliate. I honestly think that they could beat Cincy right now.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 01:46 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: When I posted this, I was aware that the Jets aren't crushing it to n the run game. After the Monday night game all I could think about was Mixon and the non-existent run game. To go from the AFC rushing leader to back of the pack has to be challenging for him ,mentally. Last season the team was playing good football til AJ went down.
Honestly, I wasn't aware of his release situation. He probably didn't want to be involved with a 35 yo HC and the possible shit show that sure to follow. I just know that we could run the ball when he was here.

I've never not one time bashed Pollack or Turner. I realize we have serious injuries on the oline. Glenn and even Williams are pretty big losses. That said, Pollack helped produce the AFCs leading rusher last season. Basically, doing it with the same level of talent that we currently have on the team.

I know Coach.  I wasn't trying to be condescending to your intent in OP.  I was merely pointing out that some of us just assumed Pollack was great because the rushing game improved with Mixon last year.  I am now starting to think that Boiling and Redmond were God-like guards or something.  Although Hopkins scores well in the PFF scores (top 5 in NFL), he absolutely is garbage in the push at the LOS.  Price was way better at getting push.  

Also, if you remember during the preseason, there were hardly any calls for running plays.  Now as a fan, I just thought it was because Taylor was experimenting because Mixon was standing on the sideline.  Hell, the way I am hearing it from Taylor, the Game plan (like for most teams) unfolds and is contingent on the previous called play.  Well, if there is a penalty or if the defense makes a mistake, the offensive schemes stall but have to be adjusted.  

Nevertheless, Taylor states things like how close they are for everything to unfold but a mistake here, miscommunication there and everything folds.  It is as though they are using the passing game to set up running plays and since the passing game is sporadic, the running plays are under represented in play calls.  The whole thing about rushing attack is rhythm.   The line needs chemistry and to get into a rhythm.  The Bengals simply have not had the opportunity to find their stride up to this point with this closest exception being the Seattle Bengals game.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 02:12 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know Coach.  I wasn't trying to be condescending to your intent in OP.  I was merely pointing out that some of us just assumed Pollack was great because the rushing game improved with Mixon last year.  I am now starting to think that Boiling and Redmond were God-like guards or something.  Although Hopkins scores well in the PFF scores (top 5 in NFL), he absolutely is garbage in the push at the LOS.  Price was way better at getting push.  

Also, if you remember during the preseason, there were hardly any calls for running plays.  Now as a fan, I just thought it was because Taylor was experimenting because Mixon was standing on the sideline.  Hell, the way I am hearing it from Taylor, the Game plan (like for most teams) unfolds and is contingent on the previous called play.  Well, if there is a penalty or if the defense makes a mistake, the offensive schemes stall but have to be adjusted.  

Nevertheless, Taylor states things like how close they are for everything to unfold but a mistake here, miscommunication there and everything folds.  It is as though they are using the passing game to set up running plays and since the passing game is sporadic, the running plays are under represented in play calls.  The whole thing about rushing attack is rhythm.   The line needs chemistry and to get into a rhythm.  The Bengals simply have not had the opportunity to find their stride up to this point with this closest exception being the Seattle Bengals game.  
Yes sir! I feel you, and agree. 
Side note, a little off topic. Did anyone watch the Rams/Hawks game Thursday? I'm watching the Rams O, and I'm like that's our O!!....lol... Unfortunately we aren't quite getting the same results yet. Granted LA has lost their last two, but their O is starting to click.
AJ is such a huge security blanket for Andy. Getting him back n the fold is definitely going to help the offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 11:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Let's face it...we're not an attractive job for HC's or assistants. They know who the management is here. They know our free agency habits. They know our lack of scouting. These things aren't secrets.

I disagree
1.) Its one out of 32 jobs 
2.) You get a huge say in Personal here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 01:46 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: When I posted this, I was aware that the Jets aren't crushing it to n the run game. After the Monday night game all I could think about was Mixon and the non-existent run game. To go from the AFC rushing leader to back of the pack has to be challenging for him ,mentally. Last season the team was playing good football til AJ went down.

Not really, he did it with Boling at LG, and no one on this roster is as talented as Boling, and with Redmond on the right, who has not been available. Now Jordan may turn out better than Redmond in the long run, but he does not yet have the experience. 
Reply/Quote
As has already been said, there is no apples to apples comparison between the two coaches:

Pollack's starting line Glenn, Bolling, Price, Redmond, Hart

Turner's starting line Smith, Jordan, Hopkins, Miller, Hart.

The reality might be that Turner is the far superior coach, but is utilizing much lesser talent. Perhaps Pollack coaching the line Monday night would have resulted in giving up 12 sacks...
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 09:57 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yea but Dalton is a bit better than Mulkus Fulkus or whomever they have back there at QB.  I joke about  Dolegala being the savior, but if we were starting him from week 2 onward I think we'd be even MORE winless now even though that is impossible.

We will never know the details, but it doesn't say much for Mike Brown's negotiating skills if he can't keep a guy here over going to the Jets.

EDIT - A lateral move, no less.  That could be a little concerning seeing as Geuuenether did the same thing.  Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but coaches taking lateral moves to go elsewhere seems like a red flag of sorts.  Then again, it only happened twice as far as I can recall so maybe it's nothing.

Kind of tough to be more winless than zero wins, but if anyone can do it ZAC can..
At the end of tomorrow's game the league will award the Bengals 2 losses for the game.. thus proving that yes, why yes, you really can be worse than the worst possible scenario..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: By letting him go, they let him out of his contract or fired him. I guess that was necessary so ZT could hire his friend Turner.

You know that Turner played a role in ZT getting the UC OC job?

(10-04-2019, 05:52 AM)sonofstat Wrote: I really did not like the move to allow Pollack to go at the time.  Mixon averaged just under 5 ypc last year ,which with that line was pretty impressive.

However ZT clearly had the mandate to get his own guy in ..which is understandable.  

But the fact that unit is the worst position group on the team and is populated by guys they chose to retain (Hart), bring in (Smith, Miller) or draft (MJ) is pretty damning..especially as ZT was brought in based on his offensive credentials

(10-04-2019, 07:48 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If one of ZTs first moves when getting into power was jettisoning a decent coach so he could throw an NFL job at his no good dbag friend...oy.  Let's just assume Pollack wanted out.

Pollack left on his own, before Taylor was hired. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/15/18184263/bengals-rumors-coach-frank-pollack-out

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 10:18 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: As has already been said, there is no apples to apples comparison between the two coaches:

Pollack's starting line Glenn, Bolling, Price, Redmond, Hart

Turner's starting line Smith, Jordan, Hopkins, Miller, Hart.

The reality might be that Turner is the far superior coach, but is utilizing much lesser talent.  Perhaps Pollack coaching the line Monday night would have resulted in giving up 12 sacks...
I didn't realize that Price was out, and I do agree that perhaps Pollack had a little more talent to work with. Ts, I wasnt even speaking about sacks. I am speaking of running the football. Mixon has less than 200 yards rushing in four games. That's atrocious, considering how well the kid can run.

Hell, Wyche, Sunset, and Harmeling could get us 2.5 per carry!!... LMAO!!
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 04:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Pollack left on his own, before Taylor was hired. 

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/15/18184263/bengals-rumors-coach-frank-pollack-out

He was under contract though, so the team would have to let him out of it.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 07:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I didn't realize that Price was out, and I do agree that perhaps Pollack had a little more talent to work with. Ts, I wasnt even speaking about sacks. I am speaking of running the football. Mixon has less than 200 yards rushing in four games. That's atrocious, considering how well the kid can run.

Hell, Wyche, Sunset, and Harmeling could get us 2.5 per carry!!... LMAO!!

Price is healthy...just playing poorly so they yanked him from the starting lineup.

Although, many of us feel that he outplays Jordan at Guard...not that that's saying much.
Reply/Quote