Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Franklin Delano Roosevelt...
(01-05-2023, 10:46 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: There is a lot of truth to this. And I'm not disagreeing here as you may be proven right, but the NFL is a little unique on this one. It's a pretty violent sport, and nobody can afford to not be 'all-in' when it comes to make a tackle etc. The requirements just aren't as big in some other sports, for you to put your body on the line as you do in the NFL.

In football/soccer, you could get away a little with some guys not going all out on everything. In the NFL, if we're fielding anyone who isn't fully ready to be there, it's going to show. The base requirement for being ready is bigger than in some other sports imo.

I've played football, and done a little pee wee coaching. While it is more violent and dangerous, it's also very intense mentally. Weezy is right in that regard, once you step across that sideline onto the field, you block out everything but what you're supposed to do after the playcall is made. Most of the time, you don't even notice the crowd. Obviously it's MUCH MUCH louder at a NFL game than high school, but still....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Posted this in another thread but the biggest question in my mind is Tee...what does he do when he catches a pass and has a defender directly in front of him? His physicality is what he's known for. Hopefully this will not change that. The guy that Chucky Mullins tackled when he broke his neck was never the same afterwards even though he was in no way responsible.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:49 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You guys act like something like this has never happened before. 

Tua was literally seizing out on that same field in front of those same players like 6 weeks ago and had to be carried off on a stretcher. Guys on the team have been seriously injured, concussed. Obviously its not EXACTLY the same, but they are both pretty similar in that they were VERY serious things.

These guys know what they signed up for. ZT even said that yesterday. What happened Monday sucked, but it was a freak accident. One in a million chance and barely even football related. The guys will be fine. 

Lmao, I wasn't disagreeing with you... I was just making the point being ready for the NFL probably takes more than most other sports. You're all in on everything. It's why we love it. 

(01-05-2023, 10:51 AM)Wyche Wrote: I've played football, and done a little pee wee coaching. While it is more violent and dangerous, it's also very intense mentally. Weezy is right in that regard, once you step across that sideline onto the field, you block out everything but what you're supposed to do after the playcall is made. Most of the time, you don't even notice the crowd. Obviously it's MUCH MUCH louder at a NFL game than high school, but still....

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with the guy, just making the point that there is a difference between the sports on the physical side. I played soccer for 15 years (not as a professional level or anything) and the requirements for being physically 'up for the game' are simply less. I absolutely agree playing sports in general is good for mental health.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 10:56 AM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: Posted this in another thread but the biggest question in my mind is Tee...what does he do when he catches a pass and has a defender directly in front of him? His physicality is what he's known for. Hopefully this will not change that. The guy that Chucky Mullins tackled when he broke his neck was never the same afterwards even though he was in no way responsible.

I'm sure it's been communicated to him just how freak of an occurrence this was.  The hit needed to happen at the exact wrong moment during the heart's cycle.  Literally within milliseconds.

That is in no way meant to dismiss what Hamlin is going through, but it is an anomaly.  I'd think that, coupled with support from his loved ones and Hamlin's own family, would give Higgins peace of mind.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 03:36 AM)WildCat Wrote: that balloon got deflated. feels more like bengals lose to ravens and then turn around and lose again in wildcard tbh. hope i'm wrong but i don't think i am.

(01-05-2023, 10:07 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Honestly, I feel the same way.  Though admittedly I am the resident pessimist.

I dunno.  It kinda feels gross even having this conversation so I hope people can forgive me for focusing on something so far down the priority list right now.  But I watched those Burrow and Reader press conferences and they both just seemed so... deflated, like you said.  It feels like whatever wind was in the team's sails has left.  

Now, maybe there's an element of PR to it.  Probably not a good look for Burrow to go up to the podium, beaming with excitement, talking about how ready they are to play just 2 days after the tragedy.  But if his demeanor is indicative of the actual team mood, then I don't know.  I think they've gone as far as they're gonna go this year. Just my gut feeling. The playoffs are sudden elimination. There's no luxury of time anymore, or being able to afford an "off" week. These guys would need to rebound immediately.

It really sucks, but given the circumstances it's something I could live with. Just would hate to see all of their hard work this season undone like this, and yet another "What if?" year for the team's history books.

Get that negative crap out of here.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 11:08 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Lmao, I wasn't disagreeing with you... I was just making the point being ready for the NFL probably takes more than most other sports. You're all in on everything. It's why we love it. 

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with the guy, just making the point that there is a difference between the sports on the physical side. I played soccer for 15 years (not as a professional level or anything) and the requirements for being physically 'up for the game' are simply less. I absolutely agree playing sports in general is good for mental health.

Oh I know.....and for the record, I was a lineman.... ain't no way I could run up and down a soccer field all day. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 01:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: Oh I know.....and for the record, I was a lineman.... ain't no way I could run up and down a soccer field all day. LOL

I played as a winger, and in no game did I run up and down the field all day.... definitely took my time running back to defend. Probably why I'm sitting here typing to you guys and not still playing LOL
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will not match what we saw on Monday Night. They will be even better!
Reply/Quote