Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frazier to the White Sox?
Supposedly the Reds, Dodgers and White Sox have completed a three team deal. Basically Frazier goes to Chicago and the Reds get Jose Peraza, Scott Shebler and Brandon Dixon from LA
Reply/Quote
Peraza seems to be the prized prospect that we received. Here's the article about our prospects.
http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2015/12/16/reds-acquire-prospects-in-three-team-deal-send-frazier-to-white-sox/

Quote:Peraza, 21, this year hit .293 with 33 stolen bases in 118 appearances for the Class AAA affiliates of the Braves and Dodgers and in his Major League debut played in 7 games for Los Angeles. In 461 career minor league games, he has hit .302 with an on-base percentage of .342 while stealing 210 bases in 259 attempts (81%). Primarily a middle infielder, last season Peraza made 18 appearances in CF, including 1 game at that position for the Dodgers.

Heading into the upcoming season, Peraza had been rated by Baseball America the fourth-best prospect in the Dodgers’ organization. In 2015, he was rated the top prospect in the Braves’ system and by mid-season was rated the 26th-best prospect in all of baseball before he was traded to Los Angeles in July. Peraza also entered this year rated the fastest baserunner in the Southern League and the Carolina League’s best baserunner and best defensive second baseman.

Originally signed by Atlanta as an international free agent in July 2010, the native of Venezuela on July 30 was traded to the Dodgers with LHP Alex Wood, LHP Luis Avilan, RHP Jim Johnson, RHP Bronson Arroyo and cash as part of 3-team deal in which Dodgers sent 3B Hector Olivera, LHP Paco Rodriguez and RHP Zack Bird to the Braves and RHP Jeff Brigham, RHP Victor Araujo and RHP Kevin Guzman to Florida, while the Marlins sent RHP Mat Latos, 1B Mike Morse and cash to the Dodgers and a 2016 supplemental first-round pick to Atlanta.

Seems like a pretty good prospect to me.
Reply/Quote
Peraza 2B/SS/OF...22 years old......Good average (.302 career minor league avg), good speed (157 stolen bases in last three years), but never draws any walks or hits for power

Schebler OF....24 years old...lefty....hit for good power and average in '13 (.296, 27 HR) and '14 (.280, 28 HR) in A+ and AA, but struggled a bit at AAA last year (.241, 13 HR)

Dixon IF/OF.....23 years old....hit .263 with 19 HR and 28 SB combined at A+ and AA last year
Reply/Quote
For a guy of Frazier's abilities with two years left on his deal, this is a bad deal for the Reds. Peraza is a nice piece, but he's basically a slap hitting infielder that can't take a walk. A piece, but in a deal for Frazier, I'd want more. Dixon couldn't hit in AAA and Schebler looks like another Chris Heisey.

If this is what they're getting for their biggest trade piece, it's gonna be a long, long rebuild for the Reds. Chapman's is Typhoid Mary right now and any Bruce or Phillips trade will be salary dumps mores that talent acquisition.

We'd better hope this team drafts it's ass off for the next two years or plans on spending every bit of the pay flex they manage to dump on good everyday eight players.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 04:37 PM)samhain Wrote: For a guy of Frazier's abilities with two years left on his deal, this is a bad deal for the Reds.  Peraza is a nice piece, but he's basically a slap hitting infielder that can't take a walk.  A piece, but in a deal for Frazier, I'd want more.  Dixon couldn't hit in AAA and Schebler looks like another Chris Heisey.  

If this is what they're getting for their biggest trade piece, it's gonna be a long, long rebuild for the Reds.  Chapman's is Typhoid Mary right now and any Bruce or Phillips trade will be salary dumps mores that talent acquisition.

We'd better hope this team drafts it's ass off for the next two years or plans on spending every bit of the pay flex they manage to dump on good everyday eight players.

I'd trade Bruce for a 6 pack of Blatz and a bag of pretzels.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Whos left to root for on the reds?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 05:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whos left to root for on the reds?

Mr. RedLegs
Reply/Quote
Yet another reason why mlb sucks
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 05:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Whos left to root for on the reds?

Votto.
Reply/Quote
Frazier would have been a good regular to keep and at least fill the seats with. But realistically the Reds starting pitching is too inexperienced to project a contender. By the time the Reds turn it around, Frazier will be past his prime. GL to Todd, who gave us a hell of a home run derby.
Reply/Quote
Gotta think this move makes a BP trade even more likely if they want Peraza in the bigs this year.
Reply/Quote
They should have struck when the iron was hot, and traded Frazier right after the All Star game. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
[quote=XenoMorphWhos left to root for on the reds?[/quote] pid='131678' dateline='1450298082']

Votto, Mesaraco, Billy Hamilton, and Bailey will be the only really familiar names left, assuming Phillips and Chappy get traded. Disco and Suarez are promising players, as are some of these guys we've picked up via trade and rule 5 draft. Arroyo may come back for a year if he's healthy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Who's going to play 3rd now? Suarez?
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 04:37 PM)samhain Wrote: For a guy of Frazier's abilities with two years left on his deal, this is a bad deal for the Reds.  Peraza is a nice piece, but he's basically a slap hitting infielder that can't take a walk.  A piece, but in a deal for Frazier, I'd want more.  Dixon couldn't hit in AAA and Schebler looks like another Chris Heisey.  

If this is what they're getting for their biggest trade piece, it's gonna be a long, long rebuild for the Reds.  Chapman's is Typhoid Mary right now and any Bruce or Phillips trade will be salary dumps mores that talent acquisition.

Jim Bowden said both the Braves and Dodgers look at Peraza as a utility guy and that the Reds should've just taken the prospects that the Dodgers got in the deal.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2015, 01:30 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Who's going to play 3rd now? Suarez?

Yeah, Walt said Suarez is now penciled in at third.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

A replacement level team is 52 wins. Let’s assume you need 89 wins to make the playoffs. If you have 6 cheap ($1MM) average position players(2 WAR) that’s 12 WAR. Add in 4 average pitchers and a couple of relievers (6 players totaling 2 WAR since relievers arent worth as much) and you are at 22 WAR. So basically, your salary so far is $16MM. You now have $94 MM to get 15 WAR in the free agent market. So basically you can afford to pay $32 MM for three 5 WAR players, assuming a $110 MM payroll.

Peraza projects to be at least average so 2 – 2.5 WAR. If you can fill most of your roster with cheap 2 – 2.5 WAR guys then spending on free agents will put you over the hump. The best part is we have that at a cost controlled, player controlled contract. 

The problem I have with this is you usually need a star or two on the team to make up the rest of the WAR difference. Peraza doesn't seem to have that star power. Assuming this team will be good in two years, that most likely puts Votto on his decline years (he's 32 now) also.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
They must have really liked this Peraza kid. They seemed bent on landing him. If he can hit with a good OBP , I'm guessing they see him as our future leadoff hitter. And have Billy H. at the bottom of the lineup until he figures out his bat. so if either gets on they will be there for our 2, 3 and 4 hitters. I think they need to let BH stay on one side of the plate. Maybe that would help get him on track.
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2015, 03:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Peraza 2B/SS/OF...22 years old......Good average (.302 career minor league avg), good speed (157 stolen bases in last three years), but never draws any walks or hits for power

Schebler OF....24 years old...lefty....hit for good power and average in '13 (.296, 27 HR) and '14 (.280, 28 HR) in A+ and AA, but struggled a bit at AAA last year (.241, 13 HR)

Dixon IF/OF.....23 years old....hit .263 with 19 HR and 28 SB combined at A+ and AA last year

Just want to add that minor league numbers can be deceiving.  Sometimes a players numbers drop when he is learning something new or working on a specific problem with his swing or delivery.
Reply/Quote
I also hope we can spend some of the money we are saving to buy at least 1 or 2 veteran players.

I don't mind rebuilding, but with the money these teams are making I should not have to root for a AAA team in the majors.
Reply/Quote