Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Closing Comment:
Welp,

The season is tomorrow. I figured we needed a thread for people to summarize their offseason/preseason thoughts so we can drop the mic and enter spectator mode.

What's your closing comments with this offseason/upcoming season?
Reply/Quote
If the rookies step up as I hope they will, I think we have a shot at winning the AFC. Our defense is going to be nasty. Better than last year. I don't see anyone scoring more than 30 points on us all season. We'll keep most teams below 20. That should make it easier on our offense. Once Eifert gets back, watch out.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Honestly, for me, hope for the best, and expect the normal.

Potential and talent is there.
Reply/Quote
They are dealing with adversity early (injuries, suspensions, BS scheduling) and they will overcome.

This is all helping to make a team that will be mentally strong. It is the last piece of the puzzle.

Expectations are not high, except in that locker room.

This is the year they get to a Super Bowl, and win it. It starts with defeating the Jets, 24-14.

Who Dey!
Reply/Quote
I always have high expectations for the Bengals every season. I hope for a Super Bowl win. Would settle to just beat the Steelers and Browns though.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Not so much a closing statement as an observation at the end of the offseason: This team will suffer due to it's lack of depth on the d-line this year. If Atkins and Dunlap can't stay healthy all year, they're in big trouble.

It's confusing to me that they didn't address DT or DE early in the draft or even at the B and C levels of free agency. Allowing Gilberry to leave was a mistake IMO.

Don't get me wrong, our starters are quite good, but getting two straight healthy seasons out of them would be a major stroke of luck. After first string we have Pat Sims, a guy who stays hurt all year long and plays through it when he can. We have a UDFA from 2015 in Williams who is as raw as it gets. We have Clarke, who I pray to god can bring something in year 3, and then we have the big liability in Margus Hunt who is every bit as bad vs the run as he is unable to get to the quarterback.

Injuries obviously hurt them on the inside of the d-line, but I think the overall they could have done something more to solidify the group. Remember 2014 when MJ left for the Bucs? That's basically where we are if he or Dunlap go down this season, minus the solid vet in Gilberry.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 11:59 PM)samhain Wrote: Not so much a closing statement as an observation at the end of the offseason: This team will suffer due to it's lack of depth on the d-line this year.  If Atkins and Dunlap can't stay healthy all year, they're in big trouble.  

It's confusing to me that they didn't address DT or DE early in the draft or even at the B and C levels of free agency.  Allowing Gilberry to leave was a mistake IMO.  

Don't get me wrong, our starters are quite good, but getting two straight healthy seasons out of them would be a major stroke of luck.  After first string we have Pat Sims, a guy who stays hurt all year long and plays through it when he can.  We have a UDFA from 2015 in Williams who is as raw as it gets.  We have Clarke, who I pray to god can bring something in year 3, and then we have the big liability in Margus Hunt who is every bit as bad vs the run as he is unable to get to the quarterback.  

Injuries obviously hurt them on the inside of the d-line, but I think the overall they could have done something more to solidify the group.  Remember 2014 when MJ left for the Bucs?  That's basically where we are if he or Dunlap go down this season, minus the solid vet in Gilberry.

Your whole argument is based off of someone getting hury nobody got hurt last year. Yes our depth there has sufferred but as long as we stay healthy it dosent matter.  And to compare our dline to 2014 is outrageous because atkins was a shell of his former self whe we didnt have micheal johnson so we had one threat in dunlap. Now we have 3. Remember jhnson dealt with back issues al last year hes finally healthy! 
Reply/Quote
What if... Man, we always have to play what if.. 

What if the entire team goes on injured reserve.. Well,  we get the number one pick in the draft next year. 
That ain't happening so I'm confident that we'll do just fine and beat the jets.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
What I did on my summer vacation......No, I know you don't want to hear that summary of the off season........I'm ready......ROAR.......WHO DEY.......Lets beat Jets.....and I wonder how fast the emotions will start to erupt for Steelers week. Should be off the charts....but lets BEAT JETS first......Hey, we beat Jets and I should be able to cash in on that Pappa Johns half off deal Monday, if they are doing that this year.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 02:14 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Your whole argument is based off of someone getting hury nobody got hurt last year. Yes our depth there has sufferred but as long as we stay healthy it dosent matter.  And to compare our dline to 2014 is outrageous because atkins was a shell of his former self whe we didnt have micheal johnson so we had one threat in dunlap. Now we have 3. Remember jhnson dealt with back issues al last year hes finally healthy! 

You like the chances of all 4 of those guys staying healthy all year for 2 years straight?  I don't   And MJ's abilities as a pass rusher have remained hidden ever since he signed his big deal in Tampa.  He's an adequate player that does very well against the run, but not really a major threat off the edge for the last 2 seasons.  

Geno is playing on a whole different level than 14, no doubt, but behind him there's practically nothing in terms of tackles that can generate pressure on this roster.  There's no pass rushing DT to take his place when he's rotated out.  It's a razor thin group.
Reply/Quote