Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FredToast on Auden Tate
If we go sign Westbrook, then Tate's best option to stick around would be a full time move to TE. Not sure of Tates blocking numbers but looks to have the size to make it as a TE.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last off season I spent a lot of time arguing with the people who claimed Auden Tate could be one of our top 3 WRs.  He had one of the worst catch % in the entire league and I felt he put up some decent numbers just because there was no one else to throw the ball too in 2019.  This seemed to be proven in 2020 when he was behind Michael Thomas on the depth chart and was often not even on the active roster on gameday.

This off season I have spent a lot of time talking about what a great drop off in talent their is after our top 3 WRs.

But when I step back and look at Tate as a #4 WR I realize he would probably be serviceable. I still think we may add a veteran who gets release by another team.  Maybe even at the very end of training camp.  But if we don't I won't complain too much about Tate as our #4.

Well if hes only asked to be a tall target in the RZ then he should be fine...     

Or if he run blocks well on the edge... that might be good enough
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 02:02 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: If we go sign Westbrook, then Tate's best option to stick around would be a full time move to TE.  Not sure of Tates  blocking numbers but looks to have the size to make it as a TE.

dont think he would beat out any of the TEs currently on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 02:02 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: If we go sign Westbrook, then Tate's best option to stick around would be a full time move to TE.  Not sure of Tates  blocking numbers but looks to have the size to make it as a TE.

He's obviously blocking different size players than a typical TE would, but according to PFF, Auden Tate had 67 run blocking snaps last year with a 77.6 run block grade, the highest run block grade on the team.
He also had a 68.6 pass block grade, but on just 7 pass blocking snaps.

He has the profile of a TE and looks to be able to block well, but he'd need to pack on about 10-20 lbs honestly if he's gonna start blocking inline. I think he could do it, but he needs to start the move this year if he's gonna do it. Not everyone can be Tim Tebow and just convert to TE in their 30's lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 10:25 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He's obviously blocking different size players than a typical TE would, but according to PFF, Auden Tate had 67 run blocking snaps last year with a 77.6 run block grade, the highest run block grade on the team.
He also had a 68.6 pass block grade, but on just 7 pass blocking snaps.

He has the profile of a TE and looks to be able to block well, but he'd need to pack on about 10-20 lbs honestly if he's gonna start blocking inline. I think he could do it, but he needs to start the move this year if he's gonna do it. Not everyone can be Tim Tebow and just convert to TE in their 30's lol.

The problem is there is no motivation for him to make the move this year.  Even if the Bengals sign Westbrook, he's a virtual lock to make the roster as a WR.  He would have a very tough time winning a roster spot as a TE over Moss and Shrek.  

This is a huge year for him because if he makes the roster this year, he will accrue his 4th season in the league. That means he becomes fully vested for retirement benefits.  That's a lot to risk on a position change.
Reply/Quote
I like Auden Tate and see him as a role player that can help the team. A #4 WR? Well I'm not qualified to make such a scouting assessment, but as a role player on a team, he brings something unique like his red zone matchups. Who wouldnt want a guy like that? He may continue to grow in that role here, or he may be a June 1st cut and find a role with another team, but I do like him.

Drafting Chase changes the game in the WR room in a big big way, so who knows what Tate's future is, but if its not here I think he will find a role on another team. He's limited in areas but brings something not all WR's can bring in other areas. I wish and hope the best for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 03:17 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I like Auden Tate and see him as a role player that can help the team. A #4 WR? Well I'm not qualified to make such a scouting assessment, but as a role player on a team, he brings something unique like his red zone matchups. Who wouldnt want a guy like that? He may continue to grow in that role here, or he may be a June 1st cut and find a role with another team, but I do like him.

Drafting Chase changes the game in the WR room in a big big way, so who knows what Tate's future is, but if its not here I think he will find a role on another team. He's limited in areas but brings something not all WR's can bring in other areas. I wish and hope the best for him.

Tate really isn’t a red zone weapon in the NFL though.
In his 3 seasons, Tate has only 6 receptions on just 21 targets. That’s only a 28.6% catch percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 09:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Tate really isn’t a red zone weapon in the NFL though.
In his 3 seasons, Tate has only 6 receptions on just 21 targets. That’s only a 28.6% catch percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that is not a very good % so you got me there, but he has that skill set for sure and he had a few nice 1st down catches for us last year. With Chase on the team now, he will have a harder time finding playing time so he may end up being a cut, especially if we sign another veteran WR. 
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Last off season I spent a lot of time arguing with the people who claimed Auden Tate could be one of our top 3 WRs.  He had one of the worst catch % in the entire league and I felt he put up some decent numbers just because there was no one else to throw the ball too in 2019.  This seemed to be proven in 2020 when he was behind Michael Thomas on the depth chart and was often not even on the active roster on gameday.

This off season I have spent a lot of time talking about what a great drop off in talent their is after our top 3 WRs.

But when I step back and look at Tate as a #4 WR I realize he would probably be serviceable. I still think we may add a veteran who gets release by another team.  Maybe even at the very end of training camp.  But if we don't I won't complain too much about Tate as our #4.

Deep, analytical thoughts. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2021, 12:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: Even if the Bengals sign Westbrook, he's a virtual lock to make the roster as a WR.    

Tate was not even on the active roster for some games last year.  He is FAR from a lock to make this team.
Reply/Quote
Maybe WR4 is actually a guy like Moss at TE splitting out wide? Maybe Evans, the drafted RB, takes on a significant pass catching role? Thus, WR4 isn't going to have much of a role this upcoming season.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tate was not even on the active roster for some games last year.  He is FAR from a lock to make this team.

I don't think anyone on here would accuse me of being a Tate fan, but that's how I see it.  Chase, Tee, and Boyd are locks as 1-3.  Westbrook would be the #4.  Thomas and Tate would be competing for #5-6.  Tate would be #6 at worst and Taylor has kept 7 his first two years.  I don't see one of the PS/UFA's overtaking Tate, let alone two to knock him off the roster.  
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 01:12 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't think anyone on here would accuse me of being a Tate fan, but that's how I see it.  Chase, Tee, and Boyd are locks as 1-3.  Westbrook would be the #4.  Thomas and Tate would be competing for #5-6.  Tate would be #6 at worst and Taylor has kept 7 his first two years.  I don't see one of the PS/UFA's overtaking Tate, let alone two to knock him off the roster.  

AT 6 Tate would need to be a hell of a Special teamer
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 01:23 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: AT 6 Tate would need to be a hell of a Special teamer

Not necessarily.  They usually only dress 5 or 6.  He would likely be inactive, but still on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 01:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: Not necessarily.  They usually only dress 5 or 6.  He would likely be inactive, but still on the roster.

At which point we could probly find someone better if hes gonna be the inactive WR going into year 3
Reply/Quote