Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freddy Gray Payout
(06-09-2016, 04:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/judge-finds-prosecutors-withheld-evidence-freddie-gray-officer-154226833--abc-news-topstories.html

Does this state prosecutor still have a job?

Unreal that whole city needs new leadership.  Between the withholding evidence and the mayor allowing rioters to destroy the city.    
(06-09-2016, 04:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/gma/judge-finds-prosecutors-withheld-evidence-freddie-gray-officer-154226833--abc-news-topstories.html

Does this state prosecutor still have a job?

Quote: Goodson's attorneys have argued that prosecutors withheld statements made last year by Donta Allen, a key witness. Allen was picked up by the Baltimore police van after Gray.

In his original statement to police in April last year, Allen said he heard loud banging coming from Gray's side of the vehicle. He gave a similar statement in a separate interview with prosecutors a month later, but the state never turned it over as evidence to defense attorneys. Judge Williams found today that prosecutors committed a so-called Brady Violation because Allen's May 2015 statement was deemed exculpatory evidence and it's the state's duty to divulge this information to the defense.

The prosecutors should have been more forward about the interview, but it doesn't sound like it was anything that would have helped the defense (a witness hearing the banging around would seem to be better for the prosecution, but it doesn't sound like Allen actually heard or saw anything specific). To me, it sounds more like the defense is just trying to find something — anything — to get it declared a mistrial.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-09-2016, 04:28 PM)Benton Wrote: The prosecutors should have been more forward about the interview, but it doesn't sound like it was anything that would have helped the defense (a witness hearing the banging around would seem to be better for the prosecution, but it doesn't sound like Allen actually heard or saw anything specific). To me, it sounds more like the defense is just trying to find something — anything — to get it declared a mistrial.
Unless it can show Freddie caused the injuries to himself; not some "ruff ride".

Either way doesn't look good for the prosecution. Combine this with the fact that many think they over-charged and....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-09-2016, 04:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unless it can show Freddie caused the injuries to himself; not some "ruff ride".

Either way doesn't look good for the prosecution. Combine this with the fact that many think they over-charged and....

Even if he cause the injuries himself, they would still face a charge of some kind like gross negligence. Which is loads better than murder, but it's going to be tough to convince a jury a guy broke his own spine while in custody.
maybe it was a freak yoga accident
People suck
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pretrial-motions-heard-fifth-officer-prisoner-death-071831144.html

All charges dropped.

The Mayor might want to leave the DNC and get back home.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-09-2016, 04:48 PM)Benton Wrote: Even if he cause the injuries himself, they would still face a charge of some kind like gross negligence. Which is loads better than murder, but it's going to be tough to convince a jury a guy broke his own spine while in custody.

I guess if they never go to trial that won't be a problem.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-27-2016, 12:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/news/pretrial-motions-heard-fifth-officer-prisoner-death-071831144.html

All charges dropped.

The Mayor might want to leave the DNC and get back home.

Good. Every analyst called this the day the charges were announced. Not condoning any behavior that may have caused Gray to die, but I'm glad these officers weren't found guilty of trumped up charges. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-27-2016, 02:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Good. Every analyst called this the day the charges were announced. Not condoning any behavior that may have caused Gray to die, but I'm glad these officers weren't found guilty of trumped up charges. 

At the end of the day, the city will heal.  Heck, back last year I saw where people came together to kick-off some reconstruction downtown - looked like they were having a lot of fun.
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-27-2016, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: I guess if they never go to trial that won't be a problem.

Except for the ones that did and were found not guilty.  Or a hung jury (one holdout against acquittal iirc)

(07-27-2016, 02:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Good. Every analyst called this the day the charges were announced. Not condoning any behavior that may have caused Gray to die, but I'm glad these officers weren't found guilty of trumped up charges. 

100% true.  Prosecutions should not be used as a political tool or a way of mollifying an angry mob.  This whole "investigation" was rancid from the start.  Mosby should be disbarred, her conduct in this case is the definition of unethical.
(07-27-2016, 04:20 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: At the end of the day, the city will heal.  Heck, back last year I saw where people came together to kick-off some reconstruction downtown - looked like they were having a lot of fun.

And a man is dead and it kind of just...happened.
(07-27-2016, 04:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Except for the ones that did and were found not guilty.  Or a hung jury (one holdout against acquittal iirc)

One...who did.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-porter-jury-split-20160115-story.html

Quote:The jury in the trial of Baltimore Police Officer William G. Porter was one vote from acquitting him of involuntary manslaughter in the death of [/url][url=http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/]Freddie Gray, the most serious charge he faced, according to sources familiar with the deliberations.

Judge Barry G. Williams declared a mistrial because the jury deadlocked on all four charges last month. Jurors were two votes from convicting Porter of misconduct in office, and more divided on the charges of assault and reckless endangerment, sources said.
(07-27-2016, 04:54 PM)GMDino Wrote: And a man is dead and it kind of just...happened.

People die in accidents every day...and it doesn't result in riots and being charged with first degree murder.

(07-27-2016, 05:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: People die in accidents every day...and it doesn't result in riots and being charged with first degree murder.

The key here is there is a difference between murder and the lesser charges. Did they make mistakes? Yes, did it qualify for murder? No. In the end that is where they missed.
(07-27-2016, 05:02 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: People die in accidents every day...and it doesn't result in riots and being charged with first degree murder.

Yes they do.

Most aren't handcuffed in the back of a police van and end up with a broken neck...and no one knows how.  Funny that.
(07-27-2016, 04:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: One...who did.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-porter-jury-split-20160115-story.html

You could have just said I was right, because I was.
(07-27-2016, 06:11 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yes they do.

Most aren't handcuffed in the back of a police van and end up with a broken neck...and no one knows how.  Funny that.

Well, it's happened before and that's the reason they now need to be safely harnessed/secured.  We don't know how? Never ridden in the back of truck, huh? And if you're shackled you can't protect yourself.

But let's lynch (wait, is that racist since 3 of the cops were black?) the cops before all the facts are known.  Standard operating procedure.

(07-27-2016, 06:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You could have just said I was right, because I was.

Except you said "ones" multiple.

Which made it wrong.  Sorry.
(07-27-2016, 07:35 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Well, it's happened before and that's the reason they now need to be safely harnessed/secured.  We don't know how?  Never ridden in the back of truck, huh?  And if you're shackled you can't protect yourself.

But let's lynch (wait, is that racist since 3 of the cops were black?) the cops before all the facts are known.  Standard operating procedure.

Gray was suppose to be too.

Funny that.

A man died in the back of a van.  No one knows how.  That's sad.
(07-27-2016, 08:43 PM)GMDino Wrote: Except you said "ones" multiple.

Which made it wrong.  Sorry.

I'm reasonably certain several other officers received a trial and were acquitted.  See, I mentioned that in the post you failed to read properly.