Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Fredtoast 2016 midseason prediction.
(11-14-2016, 05:08 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Did Vance Joseph only sign a one year deal with Miami?

Doesnt matter, you cant prevent a coach from being promoted. Only from a lateral move.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Well, at least you ended on a positive note Fred.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 05:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Doesnt matter, you cant prevent a coach from being promoted. Only from a lateral move.

You cannot block them from becoming a Head Coach.  I forget who, but someone had asked permission to interview Joseph before his last year here and the Bengals did not grant permission.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 04:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: LOL Fred has gone from one deep end into the other.

Hilarious Yep, this end of the pool really sucks.

I'd have to say I actually agree with pretty much everything about his assessment of the team.  

Watching this year's team just isn't any fun.  I think it's time to make some changes before AJ and Andy get old and we wonder what could've been.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 05:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You cannot block them from becoming a Head Coach.  I forget who, but someone had asked permission to interview Joseph before his last year here and the Bengals did not grant permission.

What did i just say!!!???!!!???

Wink

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 03:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: FIRST HALF SUMMARY

Bengal are what their record says they are.  Below average.  Bengals have losing record and have been outscored by 22 points.  That places them 23rd in the league in point differential.  All 3 wins have come against terrible teams.  Dolphins look good now, but they were playing like crap when we beat them.  Tied a decent team in Redskins, played a decent Steelers team close on the road, but got beaten badly by Denver, New England, and Dallas.

Offense....Offensive line has been biggest disappointment.  Ogbuehi still has not had a healthy training camp, so I am not ready to write him off as a bust, but he has looked completely lost at times.  But it seems there have also been breakdowns all over the line.  Dalton has looked fine.  New receivers look solid.  Hill and Bernard are each overrated by many people around here, but they are both capable runners if they can get some blocking.  If Eifert can stay healthy I think we can have a good offense, but not near as good as it has been in recent years when we were not giving up as many sacks.  Sacks kill drives.

Defense....Overall disappointment.  We can't stop the run or the pass.  I believe we have some decent talent on the line but not enough to have a deep rotation.  We also have some talent in the backfield, but they look confused too often.  Our LBs have looked slow and out of position a lot this year.  I don't have much hope for the defense turning it around this year.  Talent is not there and coaching looks suspect.

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

@ Giants....Bengals always flat coming off bye week and also in prime time games.  Combine those two and Giants beat Bengals 35-21

Bills...Buffalo has top ten scoring offense and 13th ranked scoring defense.  They can't throw the ball but they have the #2 rushing offense which will feast on our 24th ranked rush defense.  Bills #11 pass defense slows down Dalton enough to get a 21-20 victory

@ Ravens....Baltimore's #1 ranked defense chews up Bengals playing on the road.  Ravens win 17-13

Eagles...Philly has a top 10 scoring offense and the #3 scoring defense.  They have the third highest point differential in the league (+66).  They beat the Bengals 31-24.

@ Browns....No.  I will not go there.  Bengals win 28-17

Steelers....Pittsburgh has won six of last seven in Cincinnati and 11 of last 14 overall.  It is also a prime time game.  Steelers 31-24.

@ Texans....Houston struggles on offense but they are 6-3 with wins over Detroit (5-4) and Kansas City (7-2).  They have the #4 defense in the league, plus they seem to own the Bengals, plus it is a prime time game.  Biggest difference will probably be that Texans are still in the hunt for a playoff spots while 4-9-1 Bengals are making vacation plans.  Texans win 21-20

Ravens ...Baltimore still in playoff hunt.  Bengals skip last day of practice to clean out lockers early.  Ravens 31-14.

Bengals finish 4-11-1.  Score 331 points (24th).  Defense allows 393 (20th).

Marvin Lewis resigns.  Vance Joseph hired as replacement.

Mod's - can we make sure Fred's account wasn't hacked? Nervous
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Wow... Fred only has us only beating the Browns the rest of the year.. I'm not Mr. Optimistic, but I think we'll at least beat the Ravens once
Reply/Quote
Fred coming around to reality huh? Lol
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 05:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What did i just say!!!???!!!???

Wink

I may have misunderstood.  I was clarifying that you can block them from interviewing for a coordinator position, but not a head coach.
Reply/Quote
Vance Joseph? I say we aim a bit higher in Mike McCarthy. Change of scenery thing. Maybe they'll trade straight up! (lol)

Also, what have you done with the real fredtoast?

Actually, nevermind

Reply/Quote

Bengal are what their record says they are.  Below average.  Bengals have losing record and have been outscored by 22 points.  That places them 23rd in the league in point differential.  All 3 wins have come against terrible teams.  Dolphins look good now, but they were playing like crap when we beat them.  Tied a decent team in Redskins, played a decent Steelers team close on the road, but got beaten badly by Denver, New England, and Dallas.

Offense....Offensive line has been biggest disappointment.  Ogbuehi still has not had a healthy training camp, so I am not ready to write him off as a bust, but he has looked completely lost at times.  But it seems there have also been breakdowns all over the line.  Dalton has looked fine.  New receivers look solid.  Hill and Bernard are each overrated by many people around here, but they are both capable runners if they can get some blocking.  If Eifert can stay healthy I think we can have a good offense, but not near as good as it has been in recent years when we were not giving up as many sacks.  Sacks kill drives.

Defense....Overall disappointment.  We can't stop the run or the pass.  I believe we have some decent talent on the line but not enough to have a deep rotation.  We also have some talent in the backfield, but they look confused too often.  Our LBs have looked slow and out of position a lot this year.  I don't have much hope for the defense turning it around this year.  Talent is not there and coaching looks suspect.

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

@ Giants....Bengals always flat coming off bye week and also in prime time games.  Combine those two and Giants beat Bengals 35-21

Bills...Buffalo has top ten scoring offense and 13th ranked scoring defense.  They can't throw the ball but they have the #2 rushing offense which will feast on our 24th ranked rush defense.  Bills #11 pass defense slows down Dalton enough to get a 21-20 victory

@ Ravens....Baltimore's #1 ranked defense chews up Bengals playing on the road.  Ravens win 17-13

Eagles...Philly has a top 10 scoring offense and the #3 scoring defense.  They have the third highest point differential in the league (+66).  They beat the Bengals 31-24.

Steelers....Pittsburgh has won six of last seven in Cincinnati and 11 of last 14 overall.  It is also a prime time game.  Steelers 31-24.

@ Texans....Houston struggles on offense but they are 6-3 with wins over Detroit (5-4) and Kansas City (7-2).  They have the #4 defense in the league, plus they seem to own the Bengals, plus it is a prime time game.  Biggest difference will probably be that Texans are still in the hunt for a playoff spots while 4-9-1 Bengals are making vacation plans.  Texans win 21-20

Ravens ...Baltimore still in playoff hunt.  Bengals skip last day of practice to clean out lockers early.  Ravens 31-14.

I don't see the season going down anywhere near that. You say we were beaten badly by Denver, and New England, but those games were close until the very end.

The offense has had some growing pains, but they have shown that they have found their groove the last few weeks. The offensive line isn't as good as what it used to be, but I think that we can work around that. Dalton still has one of the quickest releases in the league, and he's just now getting used to LaFell and Boyd. Plus we got Eifert back. This offense will be a high powered one just like it used to be last year and in 2013.

The defense scares me though. I think that they are easily the biggest weakness of this team. I do think we can still turn it around though. Our secondary hasn't played that bad. They have had a few big mistakes, but I think those can be cleaned up. The thing that's been killing us is that we have been playing teams with good tight ends. Tight ends have been killing us. We normally put LBs on tight ends, and we just get burnt. We don't play too many team with good tight ends the rest of the year, so I think that takes a big weakness away from our defense. I feel like our defense has never really been that great vs the run honestly. Every time the defense has looked bad in the past it's mostly due to them not being able to stop the run. I think that problem just looks bigger than what it normally is because our pass rush hasn't been what it used to be, so they have all day to pick apart our secondary.

I am so sure that we will have a better record by the end of the year I will make a sig bet with you. If the Bengals get 8 or more wins I win the bet. If they get 7 or less wins then you win the bet. You will have to keep the sig until the end of the 2017 regular season. You very much underrate the offense, and I think with the offense getting better it will help keep the defense off the field and help the defense reduce the amount of points the team can possibly score.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 04:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I just predicted what would happen.

But the Miami defense has improved in his first year as DC and before that he had developed a good reputation as a DB coach.  The team he coached DBs for has finished in the top 10 in pass efficiency defense 5 of the previous 7 seasons

'15....Bengals.....5th
'14....Bengals.....3rd
'12....Texans.....10th
'11....Texans......2nd
'09....Niners.......9th

But I really think that being a good position coach is much different from being a good coordinator and being a good coordinator is different from being a good head coach.  

Yeah I've seen other people toss his name around a lot lately really wanting him to take Marvins spot. I could see him being a good HC I'd just like to see some more substance from him as a DC before I'd hand over the keys. Maybe another year or two. That experience might make him a better HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 06:20 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Yeah I've seen other people toss his name around a lot lately really wanting him to take Marvins spot. I could see him being a good HC I'd just like to see some more substance from him as a DC before I'd hand over the keys. Maybe another year or two. That experience might make him a better HC.

I get what you're saying, but I look at the two most successful coaches in our division.  Tomlin was only a DC for one year and Harbaugh was a position coach before getting their head coaching jobs.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 06:48 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I get what you're saying, but I look at the two most successful coaches in our division.  Tomlin was only a DC for one year and Harbaugh was a position coach before getting their head coaching jobs.

Good points. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 05:08 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: Did Vance Joseph only sign a one year deal with Miami?

No but they can't block him from taking a promotion to HC for another team.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I think we finish 7-8-1. I think we beat ravens once, texans and browns...plus maybe swing a tight one with the giants tonight

If this happens it might be the worst of both worlds. Not bad enough season to force status quo to change, but not good enough for playoffs.

I look at the offense and can make a case for improvement...particularly if we have no more injuries and the right of the OL keeps things stable.

Defense i don't really know exactly why they are looking so bad so its harder to say what will change in the second half.

Another thing which would need to improve in the second half to make things a bit more optimistic is Special teams. I can see us holding some teams close but flawless kicking , punting and the odd big return would really help out a struggling team to sneak some wins. Apart from Erikson's KO return against Redskins we've not really had any momentum coming from ST
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2016, 07:13 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: No but they can't block him from taking a promotion to HC for another team.

Thanks, the sad thing is that I already knew that, but Fred’s predictions were so out of character that my brain locked up for a few minutes.
Reply/Quote
What the hell happened? Everyone's (figuratively speaking, not literally everyone) going along, wearing orange-colored glasses and predicting we'll go 6-2 on the back eight and win the division. Then, Fred makes this prediction and suddenly everyone's ready to slit their wrists.

What happened to 'one game at a time?' Where's that boundless JN optimism they mock us for in Smack? Cripes, it's like a funeral home in here and we're just waiting around for the body to drop by. Let's lose this one before we write off the balance of the season.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Fred wakes up after a stupor only to realize he used the wrong profile to post this thread...then grabs the bottle to finish it off and pass out forgetting this entire thread till tomorrow...
Reply/Quote

FINAL HALF PREDICTIONS  

Ouch 4-11-1. If this holds true we are looking at somewhere around the 5th or 6th pick in the draft. Give or take a pick.

Reply/Quote