Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency- Don't Panic YET!
Look, I agree that we need to make some moves and get some players in to improve the team, especially on the offensive line.

We're freaking out because other teams are making moves and we're not.

I was freaking out, too, but just settle for a minute because this calmed me down:

I was watching Around The Horn (or might have even been some other show because I've watched so many today that they're all roiling together) and they had all the moves of the NFL listed and the grades they were given were basically all very low (C or lower, I think), with only one move getting a decent grade.

The Ravens lost Mosley, Suggs, and Brown, and have only signed one guy (their own FA), and the Steelers lost Brown and have only resigned one guy.

We're freaking out, but maybe we're just waiting for the dust to settle.

We were all happy with the new coaches, so maybe they just know not to go after guys early on and overpay them.

We'll hopefully make some moves in upcoming days or even weeks, but let's not panic yet.

Everyone is jumping ship off the start, but I'm saying I'll wait and see.
Reply/Quote
I find it funny that so many people spent the last few weeks saying "we know the Bengals won't do anything right away in free agency", and then as soon as free agency gets here and they don't do anything... EVERYBODY PANIC!!!
Reply/Quote
I can get on board with not overpaying for this first wave. I also think we may do the opposite of most of the other teams. As they overpay for outside guys we may get all excited and overpay for some of our own average guys that hit the market.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We don’t even expect to add much but to overpay for your own average to bad talent after missing out on the playoffs for the third straight year it gets a little old and people have every right to complain. Put a winner on the field and shut people up. Really simple. They have done nothing so far to show any real change coming. Tobin is a company man, Taylor must be as well, and Miley and family are still running the show.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:28 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: We don’t even expect to add much but to overpay for your own average to bad talent after missing out on the playoffs for the third straight year it gets a little old and people have every right to complain. Put a winner on the field and shut people up. Really simple. They have done nothing so far to show any real change coming. Tobin is a company man, Taylor must be as well, and Miley and family are still running the show.

Waiting for Fred to come by and tell you that if it was so simple, why did more than half of last years crop of teams (18/32) have records with 8 wins or less?  Wink
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:28 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote:  Put a winner on the field and shut people up. Really simple. 

They did put a winner on the field for five straight years and it didn't shut anybody up lol.
Reply/Quote
At least they have something new to complain about I was getting sick of threads from 2017.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 11:11 PM)Synric Wrote: At least they have something new to complain about I was getting sick of threads from 2017.

Now this... this is the biggest truth I've read all day lol.
Reply/Quote
I think that there are two reasons that the Bengals never sign outside free agents in the first couple of days. The first being the price tags. I think that the second reason is that the organization isn’t organized enough to multitask with outside and in-house free agents at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 11:27 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I think that there are two reasons that the Bengals never sign outside free agents in the first couple of days. The first being the price tags. I think that the second reason is that the organization isn’t organized enough to multitask with outside and in-house free agents at the same time.

Let’s. Be real. We’re known cheapskates and dumpster divers. I personally think obj is overrated but at least the browns are trying. Our biggest rumor is a declining lb from Denver who saw less and less action. Then we sign Hart and for way too much.

I’m not mad. It’s just who this team is. I’m still dumbfounded we need every nickel to upgrade and we overpay for a resign.

We all know we won’t make a splash and this team will squander the careers of Green. Atkins and Dunlap- never getting to the big game.

I’m a lifelong fan with realistic expectations. 6 wins this year.

NO major signings outside our own.

Taylor has no say, lasts two years and resigns.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 12:29 AM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Let’s. Be real. We’re known cheapskates and dumpster divers. I personally think obj is overrated but at least the browns are trying. Our biggest rumor is a declining lb from Denver who saw less and less action. Then we sign Hart and for way too much.

I’m not mad. It’s just who this team is. I’m still dumbfounded we need every nickel to upgrade and we overpay for a resign.

We all know we won’t make a splash and this team will squander the careers of Green. Atkins and Dunlap- never getting to the big game.

I’m a lifelong fan with realistic expectations. 6 wins this year.

NO major signings outside our own.

Taylor has no say, lasts two years and resigns.

I have a feeling that a new 90’s Bengals streak is upon us. I made it through the last one but I’m not going to this time. I’m done caring about the team if these loser owners don’t care about winning. Seeing that mentioned cast of players age without the owner capitalizing on them has been pathetic.
Reply/Quote
I’m not asking for much all I want is one big time free agent. Odom , 37 year old Owens , n Preston is the best we have seen.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 11:08 PM)NKURyan Wrote: They did put a winner on the field for five straight years and it didn't shut anybody up lol.

Because they went 0-5 in the playoffs.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 08:07 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I find it funny that so many people spent the last few weeks saying "we know the Bengals won't do anything right away in free agency", and then as soon as free agency gets here and they don't do anything... EVERYBODY PANIC!!!

People are not pissed because we didn't sign anyone there pissed because we signed two crappy players from our two worst units a season ago.
Honestly free agency to me is overrated and more about media hype than anything else but signing bad players is inexcusable.
Now with that being said resign Dennard, Eifert, and use one of the 5 6th round picks on Darron Lee in the next couple of days then we might have something here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 12:51 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I’m not asking for much all I want is one big time free agent.  Odom , 37 year old Owens , n Preston is the best we have seen.

Tory James was damn good for us. And while not a spring off-season signing, Cedric Benson worked out pretty well.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 11:08 PM)NKURyan Wrote: They did put a winner on the field for five straight years and it didn't shut anybody up lol.

What 5 years was that. Winners are named in the post season. 

About that 5 years straight you're talking about. At this point the regular season doesn't matter. 16-0 in the regular season doesn't matter if you blow it year after year, after year, after year, after year (see what i did there).

Any fan base would be pissed if the teams owner has showed he doesn't care about winning for decades.  

To all the Homers,  just stop.  Your making yourselves look silly. 

Prediction for this season. 6-10

Bur we should be happy  we have a team right? 
GTFO, some people like their teams to, you know, win
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 02:24 AM)Ravage Wrote: Tory James was damn good for us. And while not a spring off-season signing, Cedric Benson worked out pretty well.

Beat me to it...and it isn't like they didn't do some good stuff last year even with Glenn.  
Reply/Quote
The Browns are simply loaded. Just last night they added OBJ and signing Earl Thomas appears to just be a matter of time.

The Steelers haven't really improved, but they were already quite a bit better than us.

Ravens lost 2 key guys but, again, already better than us and I highly suspect they'll make some moves to try and compensate for those losses.

The Bungles are doing nothing. Well, correct that - they've done some minor things, and even those things (Hart) they've managed to F*** up royally.

Yes, yes, we know...what were you expecting, yadda yadda yadda. There was some fresh, renewed hope now that we finally made a coaching change that maybe the franchise was going to take professional football a bit more seriously, but that is clearly not the case.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote