Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency expectations?
We've heard some talk recently that the Bengals might be more active in free agency this year, and in the latest Hobspn's choice, Hob's had this to say concerning free agency:

'I think the Bengals are readying to duel. Too many lights on too late in the night at PBS for me to think otherwise.'

'My sense is they're looking to acquire more new blood via free agency.'

So, what are you expecting? Is this the year that the Bengals actually sign a upper tier player? Do they sign some mid level guys to shore up the roster? Or, will we just see more Webb and Wynn type signings?
Reply/Quote
They are scouring the 3rd tier market to find the best guys - that is what I expect to happen.

What I am hoping will happen is that we sign an established upper level OG to stabilize the line. It would be well worth the money spent.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: We've heard some talk recently that the Bengals might be more active in free agency this year, and in the latest Hobspn's choice, Hob's had this to say concerning free agency:

'I think the Bengals are readying to duel. Too many lights on too late in the night at PBS for me to think otherwise.'

So, what are you expecting? Is this the year that the Bengals actually sign a upper tier player? Do they sign some mid level guys to shore up the roster? Or, will we just see more Webb and Wynn type signings?

Just read this myself and honestly it surprised me coming from Hobspin. I don't remember him saying this before.

Makes me think at the very least we will look for a top tier LB and a middle tier CB for the Defense. This Draft is very deep with 
interior O-lineman and WR's. I could see us going Nigel Bradham and Bradley Roby in FA then grab a WR like Shenault at 33 and
a Guard like Biadasz in the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: They are scouring the 3rd tier market to find the best guys - that is what I expect to happen.

What I am hoping will happen is that we sign an established upper level OG to stabilize the line.  It would be well worth the money spent.

Glasgow or Fieler would be fantastic.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just read this myself and honestly it surprised me coming from Hobspin. I don't remember him saying this before.

Makes me think at the very least we will look for a top tier LB and a middle tier CB for the Defense. This Draft is very deep with 
interior O-lineman and WR's. I could see us going Nigel Bradham and Bradley Roby in FA then grab a WR like Shenault at 33 and
a Guard like Biadasz in the 3rd round.

Yeah, usually at this time of year, he's working hard to sell the 'Bengals only have 15m to spend' narrative.

I'm really hoping they have a decent free agency period this year, because last year was just depressing. As I've said before, it may have been the laziest approach I've ever seen this team take. 
Reply/Quote
I believe they will pay for one bigger name free agent on the defensive side then pick up a capable starter or two to go with them. For everyone that will come in and say we have been fooled before, the reality is no we really haven't. We have mainly been told before we need to build through the draft and teams who win free agency don't win the season. This year that hasn't been the narrative from Tobin, the coaches, or Hobson....something tells me it'll be different but still not the Madden like spending most people want.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: a Guard like Biadasz in the 3rd round.

Don't know who this cat is, but I have to admit, with a name that phonetically spells out Badazz, I want him on the team.
Reply/Quote
There will definitely be a starter-level signing on defense; I don't deny that. (either at LB or maybe CB)

On offense, I see a rotation-piece on the Oline and maybe a skill guy.

I then think they'll fit out some (good) depth on D, as well.

They will resign:

- Billings
- Vigil
- Eifert

I feel.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm honestly not expecting much different than what is typical.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Don't know who this cat is, but I have to admit, with a name that phonetically spells out Badazz, I want him on the team.

Hilarious 

Yeah, he is from the Wisconsin Badgers too who put out a lot of good NFL OL prospects.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: I believe they will pay for one bigger name free agent on the defensive side then pick up a capable starter or two to go with them. For everyone that will come in and say we have been fooled before, the reality is no we really haven't. We have mainly been told before we need to build through the draft and teams who win free agency don't win the season. This year that hasn't been the narrative from Tobin, the coaches, or Hobson....something tells me it'll be different but still not the Madden like spending most people want.

True, it won't be Madden like but that is fine with me, just get a couple guys that open up the Draft.

We hardly ever do this but if there was a year do it would be this one with the #1 overall pick being a Franchise QB for us.
Reply/Quote
If its me I am signing two top level o lineman to protect Burrow.

If you have a possible once in a generation QB that you can draft, it is a no brainer to pull out the stops to get that young QB with at least  an above average o line or even better.

They can easily accumulate the money to sign two premium free agents . 

Dump salary of Dre and Glenn and trade Andy

I would also consider cutting Gio.

A high priced second string RB is not a luxury this team can afford given other more critical needs and the ability to draft a blocking RB or H-back.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:17 PM)bengals67 Wrote: If its me I am signing two top level o lineman to protect Burrow.

If you have a possible once in a generation QB that you can draft, it is a no brainer to pull out the stops to get that young QB with at least  an above average o line or even better.

The can easily accumulate the money to sign two premium free agents . 

Dump salary of Dre and Glenn and trade Andy

I would also consider cutting Gio.

A high priced second string RB is not a luxury this team can afford given other more critical needs and the ability to draft a blocking RB or H-back.

If we get one top level O-lineman in FA I would be extremely happy. Let alone two.

Au165 has a thread in the FA forum about trading for Gabe Jackson the Raiders Guard.

Sure would be down with that.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we get one top level O-lineman in FA I would be extremely happy. Let alone two.

Au165 has a thread in the FA forum about trading for Gabe Jackson the Raiders Guard.

Sure would be down with that.

Nate, I think the Raiders will tag him or see what he can get and then re sign him. He is a tough ass! Cool

Reply/Quote
What I hope they do:

1. Franchise Tag AJ Green

2. Re-sign Dennard

3. Re-sign Billings

4. Trade Andy Dalton for either a 3rd round pick (or more) or exchange a 4th or 5th for a 2nd (keep the pick if you can).

5. Cut Glenn. I don't think he has any trade value.

6. Cut Dre Kirkpatrick. He's overrated, overpaid and potentially wouldn't even be a starter in 2020 with Phillips really showing value at the end of the year. If he is willing to re-sign for a pay cut, I entertain keeping him as the #4 CB.

7. With all that money freed up from the last 3 bullet points, sign at least one of the following free agents:
Corey Littleton
Joe Shobert
Joe Thuney
Anthony Castonzo
Jack Conklin
Bryan Bulaga

8. Based on who they sign from the above, sign at least one of the following free agents (take OL if first FA is LB, take LB if first FA is OL).
Blake Martinez
Nick Kwiatkoski
Kelvin Beachum
Danny Trevathan
Graham Glasgow

9. For the draft, grab Joe Burrow

10. and then go BPA for the entire draft, except for QB and RB.

What I expect they'll do:

Maybe 1, 3, 4, 5, 8 and 9.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:35 PM)RASCAL Wrote: Nate, I think the Raiders will tag him or see what he can get and then re sign him. He is a tough ass! Cool

Heard they are shopping Gabe and Whitehead so they can make a run at Brady...

Yes, Gabe is a tough sumbitch, this is what I like in my O-lineman instead of softies like Glenn.
Reply/Quote
Zip, zero, none. The opposite of a frenzy of activity.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
They will not sign any of the day one or most expensive free agents, but they will sign one or two B-level guys.

If the release Glenn then they probably sign an O-lineman in the same pay range 8-9 million.

They will definitely sign at least one new defensive starter. Most likely a DT, but if they don't re-sign Dennard it will be a CB.

They will re-sign Vigil, Billings, and possibly Eifert.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 06:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They will not sign any of the day one or most expensive free agents, but they will sign one or two B-level guys.

If the release Glenn then they probably sign an O-lineman in the same pay range 8-9 million.

They will definitely sign at least one new defensive starter.  Most likely a DT, but if they don't re-sign Dennard it will be a CB.

They will re-sign Vigil, Billings, and possibly Eifert.

I agree, they are looking at 2nd tier FA. Looking back, I'm not sure, maybe a couple, of lastyear's Day 1 FAs played up to what they were paid.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 02:18 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: We've heard some talk recently that the Bengals might be more active in free agency this year, and in the latest Hobspn's choice, Hob's had this to say concerning free agency:

So, what are you expecting? Is this the year that the Bengals actually sign a upper tier player? Do they sign some mid level guys to shore up the roster? Or, will we just see more Webb and Wynn type signings?

I believe we will be out there making offers...

Not sure what they could use as the bait to attact the flies though outside of more money
Reply/Quote