Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agent Offensive Linemen as of August 7
(08-16-2021, 10:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As if the Bengals were the only team to have him ranked where he was....... Ninja

He was consistently ranked as a high 2nd round pick. We picked him in the late middle part of the 1st round. Granted, we just missed out on a lot of talent that went just before our pick and we had to pick someone.. I was hoping for a trade down and maybe there was nobody available a team wished to trade up for. We likely had to reach on someone, and it happened to be Price. The trade down didn’t work out in hindsight, but most liked the move at the time. It is what it is. But no, I don’t think most teams had him ranked as a mid 1st talent. Hopefully Pollack can get something out of him—but I think most think that ship has sailed this being his 4th year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2021, 11:35 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: He was consistently ranked as a high 2nd round pick. We picked him in the late middle part of the 1st round. Granted, we just missed out on a lot of talent that went just before our pick and we had to pick someone.. I was hoping for a trade down and maybe there was nobody available a team wished to trade up for. We likely had to reach on someone, and it happened to be Price. The trade down didn’t work out in hindsight, but most liked the move at the time. It is what it is. But no, I don’t think most teams had him ranked as a mid 1st talent. Hopefully Pollack can get something out of him—but I think most think that ship has sailed this being his 4th year.

Yeah, he was a draft for need to be sure. I'm not sure what happened to this guy..... 
Billy Price Draft and Combine Prospect Profile | NFL.com

Quote:Price was actually the Associated Press Division 1 Co-Defensive Player of the Year in Ohio as a high school senior, but moved to the offensive line during his redshirt freshman season because he thought he was "too meticulous." Though he suited up at center on the scout team, coaches moved him to guard, where he started all 15 games (first three at left guard, final 12 at right) on the national champions in 2014. Price earned third-team All-Big Ten honors as an every-week starter at left guard the following year, and then first-team honors on the right side as a junior team captain. He also was named second-team All-American by the Associated Press, Walter Camp Foundation, and other outlets by not only mauling his opponent with excellent upper and lower body strength but also being effective on the move for traps and other run plays. Price won the Remington Trophy as the nation's top center in 2017 and was a unanimous first-team All-American. He started each game as a senior, tying Pat Elfein for the Buckeyes' record with 55 straight starts.

Analysis

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 2
NFL Comparison
LeCharles Bentley

Overview
Plays like a Wildling at times with tremendous explosiveness, strength and, almost excessive initial charge. Price's power and leverage give him a huge advantage over most centers in this draft. He should be able to come into the league and deal with NFL power right away. However, his impatience as a blocker and tendency to charge in head-first will be used against him by savvy NFL opponents if he doesn't get it cleaned up. Price should be a good, early starter.

Strengths
  • Freaky strength and explosiveness
  • Expected to crush the bench press at the Combine
  • Plays with excellent snap to punch quickness
  • Lands hands under shoulders and snatches pads gaining control of the man across from him
  • Core strength and contact balance is a plus
  • Has redirect power to wipe out gap shooter and recover from early losses
  • Terrific bend and flexibility in hips unleash his drive blocking power
  • Works from consistently leveraged position
  • Generates push against bigger players
  • Considered highly intelligent by scouting community
  • Operational in space or in a phone booth
  • Keeps hands inside the frame in pass pro
  • Pass sets with wide base and strong anchor
  • Starting experience as both center and guard
  • Mean streak will not be an issue

Weaknesses
  • Has had consistent tape where impatience gets him in trouble
  • Lunges out to find shade defenders causing him to over-set and lose balance
  • Early lunging may be a muscle memory concern
  • Lack of length makes it tough for him to sustain
  • Could be more static on second level climb so backs can set up his blocks
  • Can improve re-setting hands against longer defensive tackles
  • Feet need to follow hands more consistently on redirects rather than leaning
  • Feet begin to deaden in his mirror allowing athletic rushers to challenge him with counters
  • Needs to improve footwork to go with his brute force
  • Can be a challenging personality to deal with according to scouts

Lets hope Pollack can fix him. I'm ready to let him go, but would love for him to be a comeback player with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2021, 03:49 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I don’t think price was ever good. Just a completely terrible scouting example by under staffed personnel department. Price is one of the worst lineman ever to play for Bengals and that is a very low bar

The lack of attention to the o line represents gross negligence including over drafting Carman

The thing with Price is that he played on a very good OL in college, he was often left uncovered.  That is largely why his CFB highlight reel showcased him getting to the second level and crushing a bunch of LBs that likely had no chance of ever starting in the NFL.  It was often discussed that offseason how Michigan was able to erase him from being a second level blocker that year, why?  Because that had a defense stocked full of prime picks, and they put a man on Price.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote