Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agents that would free up the draft
I know, I know...the Bengals don't sign free agents (not true). I also know that no one wants to play here and Brown and Marvin need to go (not happening, blah, blah, blah....)

Here is what I would like to see the Bengals do this offseason before the draft:

-Release Adam Jones

-Trade AJ McCarron (nothing less than a high second)

-Retain: Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, Sexy, Zeitler

-Sign Prince Amukamora

- Sign Jabaal Sheard

Priorities in the draft (not in any particular order of importance):

RB
C
G
LB
CB
OT
TE
DE

That is a pretty broad brush, and we have mocked the way to address those positions to death...and there are a lot of really good options out there. I think signing veterans that would contribute right away (Prince and Sheard) would not only solidify an already solid defense, but allow the draft to re-build the offensive line and get a couple more key weapons. When you figure the compensatory picks and the fact that they are able to be traded this year, the Bengal should be able to draft individuals who are either immediate starters or can at the very least compete for a starting position with their first four selections.

I would hope those positions would be RB, C, DE, and LB. Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know, I know...the Bengals don't sign free agents (not true).  I also know that no one wants to play here and Brown and Marvin need to go (not happening, blah, blah, blah....)

Here is what I would like to see the Bengals do this offseason before the draft:

-Release Adam Jones

-Retain:  Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, Sexy, Zeitler

-Sign Prince Amukamora

- Sign Jabaal Sheard

RB
C
G
LB
CB
OT
TE
DE

That is a pretty broad brush, and we have mocked the way to address those positions to death...and there are a lot of really good options out there.  I think signing veterans that would contribute right away (Prince and Sheard) would not only solidify an already solid defense, but allow the draft to re-build the offensive line and get a couple more key weapons.  When you figure the compensatory picks and the fact that they are able to be traded this year, the Bengal should be able to draft individuals who are either immediate starters or can at the very least compete for a starting position with their first four selections.  

I would hope those positions would be RB, C, DE, and LB.  Thoughts?

Didn't you forget WR somewhere in there? It's very difficult to make an argument that the Bengals can afford to move on from LaFell, not get another WR in FA, and not address WR with an early round draft pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 01:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Didn't you forget WR somewhere in there? It's very difficult to make an argument that the Bengals can afford to move on from LaFell, not get another WR in FA,  and not address WR with an early round draft pick.

I don't think so....The WRs right now are Green, Boyd, and Core as the starting 3-wide set, with Erickson as the backup at slot, and Wright able to play pretty much any of the positions (though I am not the biggest fan of his, I know the Bengals like him).  And let's not forget that this team has a couple very capable TEs in Eifert and Uzomah that will become even more important.  

Sure, if a talent is there, he could get drafted (I really like Golladay) but I see many more important front line needs.  
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 05:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't think so....The WRs right now are Green, Boyd, and Core as the starting 3-wide set, with Erickson as the backup at slot, and Wright able to play pretty much any of the positions (though I am not the biggest fan of his, I know the Bengals like him).  And let's not forget that this team has a couple very capable TEs in Eifert and Uzomah that will become even more important.  

Sure, if a talent is there, he could get drafted (I really like Golladay) but I see many more important front line needs.  

[Image: 272b82c92c10ec2d9bde7406edb3077811b29ef2...65f840.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 05:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I don't think so....The WRs right now are Green, Boyd, and Core as the starting 3-wide set, with Erickson as the backup at slot, and Wright able to play pretty much any of the positions (though I am not the biggest fan of his, I know the Bengals like him).  And let's not forget that this team has a couple very capable TEs in Eifert and Uzomah that will become even more important.  

So basically you just want to run with an ever thinner version of the already thin WR group from 2016. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The only thing the TEs are capable at are being hurt (Eifert) and dropping passes (Uzomah).

Your scenario is relying on every single person being both healthy and better. That's a recipe for disaster before the season even starts.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 12:29 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So basically you just want to run with an ever thinner version of the already thin WR group from 2016. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

The only thing the TEs are capable at are being hurt (Eifert) and dropping passes (Uzomah).

Your scenario is relying on every single person being both healthy and better. That's a recipe for disaster before the season even starts.

Jake Kumerow and Alonzo Russell will fight it out for the #6 WR spot.  Your comments about the TEs are based out of frustration.  Uzomah made huge strides in his first action and was headed to a solid season before injury slowed him, and Eifert's impact could be felt immediately upon his return.  He had 5 TDs in just 8 games.  

My scenario has to do with the fact that they aren't releasing AJ, Boyd, Core, Erickson, or Wright as they all have important roles.  The #6 WR will likely not be active at games anyways.  They are also not releasing Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah, or Hewitt.  So, you might want a vertical threat to stretch the field, but I think that player is already on the team in Core, and has already earned the spot.  The coaches love him.  He's 6'3" tall, 220 lbs, and runs a 4.4 forty yard dash.  It would take a hell of a draft pick to supplant him.  There are much bigger needs on this roster, and I addressed those in my OP.  
Reply/Quote
I'd retain Lafell. He's not that expensive overall.

I'd love to see us add Fairley at DT and pair him with Atkins with Billings/Sims as the backups.

It seems like EVERY year we have a WR that we're counting on injured. I'd work Core into the mix more steadily...but not ready to make him the #2 guy.

Other than that...I think you have a solid plan.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2017, 12:29 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: So basically you just want to run with an ever thinner version of the already thin WR group from 2016. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Uzomah dropped one pass.  Stop with that myth.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
With 11 picks I don't know about freeing up the draft but Zach Brown, Sheard or someone like Fairly or Chris Baker (rumored to not be back with Washington). I'm not sure how soon Vigil might be ready for a bigger role and baker may be a little expensive. And I would still draft an end early. Our front seven needs an infusion of speed.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 10:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know, I know...the Bengals don't sign free agents (not true).  I also know that no one wants to play here and Brown and Marvin need to go (not happening, blah, blah, blah....)

-Release Adam Jones

-Retain:  Whitworth, Kirkpatrick, Sexy, Zeitler

-Sign Prince Amukamora

- Sign Jabaal Sheard

RB
C
G
LB
CB
OT
TE
DE

That is a pretty broad brush, and we have mocked the way to address those positions to death...and there are a lot of really good options out there.  I think signing veterans that would contribute right away (Prince and Sheard) would not only solidify an already solid defense, but allow the draft to re-build the offensive line and get a couple more key weapons.  When you figure the compensatory picks and the fact that they are able to be traded this year, the Bengal should be able to draft individuals who are either immediate starters or can at the very least compete for a starting position with their first four selections.  

I would hope those positions would be RB, C, DE, and LB.  Thoughts?

Like it a lot.

Devin Taylor DE from the Lions is another guy i would like in FA and Ricky Wagner OT.

But getting Sheard and Prince would be good moves for us just the same.

Taylor just seems more of a fit to me than Sheard who is more of a 3-4 End.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 03:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Like it a lot.

Devin Taylor DE from the Lions is another guy i would like in FA and Ricky Wagner OT.

But getting Sheard and Prince would be good moves for us just the same.

Taylor just seems more of a fit to me than Sheard who is more of a 3-4 End.

I was watching how Atlanta used some 3-4 ends as DEs in their 4-3 and it worked pretty well.  No one got outside of them.  If we had better speed at LB (I think Vigil being on the field now as the other nickel backer with Burfict will help tremendously), then a more stout front four could keep them clean to make plays.  
Reply/Quote