Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Westerman
(11-14-2017, 04:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...I think they are more concerned with profit than winning. They want to win...but only under the right conditions.

On Bodine, while he's on a rookie contract...he'll start. IF he demands more money as a free agent, he'll be allowed to walk.

When was the last time we had a quality Center?

Braham, I think. HOw sad is it that Munoz could probably come out of retirement and still outplay any of the guys on our roster?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 04:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wouldn't call Ross and Mixon bad picks. They were luxury picks. We could have probably made one or the other. Had we traded down in the 1st Round maybe we get Ross still and take a Center in the 2nd and then take Mixon with our 2nd 2nd Round pick?

Maybe Mixon falls to the 3rd Round? The tape of him hitting that girl would deter 90% of the league from drafting him. It somehow attracted the Bengals to probably take him a little higher.  Sarcasm

What always amazes me is how this coaching staff felt another high-round RB would make that much of an improvement on the running game vs an upgrade on OL.
It also amazes me that for a team that is much more geared toward passing that this team continues to invest such high picks into RB.

I've said it before, but I would have rather taken interior OL in Round 2 and a RB in Round 5 rather than Mixon in 2 and Dielman in 5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 04:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...I think they are more concerned with profit than winning. They want to win...but only under the right conditions.

On Bodine, while he's on a rookie contract...he'll start. IF he demands more money as a free agent, he'll be allowed to walk.

When was the last time we had a quality Center?

Richie Braham, back in the 1800's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 04:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wouldn't call Ross and Mixon bad picks. They were luxury picks. We could have probably made one or the other. Had we traded down in the 1st Round maybe we get Ross still and take a Center in the 2nd and then take Mixon with our 2nd 2nd Round pick?

Maybe Mixon falls to the 3rd Round? The tape of him hitting that girl would deter 90% of the league from drafting him. It somehow attracted the Bengals to probably take him a little higher.  Sarcasm

Yeah i actually loved the picks at the time if the O-line played decent but that sure as hell has not happened.

Think both Ross and especially Mixon can be great if we have a good O-line but the FO did it in reverse. Have to start
with a decent O-line than draft your stud RB. We are wasting him behind this disaster that is our O-line and this terrible
Zone Blocking Scheme that cannot open up a hole in the running game.

Have to start with a solid foundation which is in the trenches to succeed in the NFL. The Cowboys did it the right way.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 04:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What always amazes me is how this coaching staff felt another high-round RB would make that much of an improvement on the running game vs an upgrade on OL.
It also amazes me that for a team that is much more geared toward passing that this team continues to invest such high picks into RB.

I've said it before, but I would have rather taken interior OL in Round 2 and a RB in Round 5 rather than Mixon in 2 and Dielman in 5.

It is amazing as it has been proven over and over again that you win games in the trenches and with coaches that know
how to adjust in the game. Not with skill players and coaches that believe in-game adjustments are journalistic jargon.

Elflein and a late round RB and we are not in this same boat right now barring injuries.

BTW, what round did Roullier go Ocho? Been liking what i have seen from him in Washington too.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 08:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is amazing as it has been proven over and over again that you win games in the trenches and with coaches that know
how to adjust in the game. Not with skill players and coaches that believe in-game adjustments are journalistic jargon.

Elflein and a late round RB and we are not in this same boat right now barring injuries.

BTW, what round did Roullier go Ocho? Been liking what i have seen from him in Washington too.

Agreed...and we currently have 3 2nd Round RB's on the roster. 3!

That's the perfect round to grab a Center or a Guard. Usually the best Center in the draft is available early 2nd Round.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 02:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So Hopkins is pretty bad. Why not give Westerman a shot?

Maybe he'll show that he can develop into a starter?

I would put Westerman at Center and Redmond at RG the rest of the season.  There is no sense in going in to another offseason without having tested them.  It would (have) also shown the players that are not performing in games that their jobs aren't safe.

Anyone else think the defense looked better against the rush with Fej?  Would have never seen him without an injury to Williams and he will go right back to the bench when he returns.

I hate "teflon" Pete Carroll, but one thing I admire about him is the competition he instills on his teams.  He doesn't care if you are an undrafted FA or a first round pick, the best player will play and his teams are always giving 100% and they love when a guy goes from rags to riches because he earns it.

Here, it is almost a complete opposite.  Say what you will about his ejection issues (haha), but I wonder if Burfict would have ever seen the field without the injury to Thomas Howard.  Think about that.  
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 08:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is amazing as it has been proven over and over again that you win games in the trenches and with coaches that know

He went in the 6th round. He was my late-round sleeper for C, but I'm sure you remember that since you brought him up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 09:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I would put Westerman at Center and Redmond at RG the rest of the season.  There is no sense in going in to another offseason without having tested them.  It would (have) also shown the players that are not performing in games that their jobs aren't safe.

Anyone else think the defense looked better against the rush with Fej?  Would have never seen him without an injury to Williams and he will go right back to the bench when he returns.

I hate "teflon" Pete Carroll, but one thing I admire about him is the competition he instills on his teams.  He doesn't care if you are an undrafted FA or a first round pick, the best player will play and his teams are always giving 100% and they love when a guy goes from rags to riches because he earns it.

Here, it is almost a complete opposite.  Say what you will about his ejection issues (haha), but I wonder if Burfict would have ever seen the field without the injury to Thomas Howard.  Think about that.  

Fej had a pretty good game against the Titans.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fej had a pretty good game against the Titans.

Fej always has a good game, the man is a hitting machine....
Reply/Quote
Well some good things may come out of this season yet. Hopefully Billings can keep playing well, Fej, and Jackson.

That's not a ton of great stuff...but I struggle to find other positives.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 06:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well some good things may come out of this season yet. Hopefully Billings can keep playing well, Fej, and Jackson.

That's not a ton of great stuff...but I struggle to find other positives.

There's lot's of good things happening on the field for us right now. The score just isn't one of them, and they are being overshadowed by the Oline problems. Lawson has turned into a gem, he has what... 5.5 sacs now?, Willis is playing good. Chris Smith is turning out to be an excellent pickup. Jackson is great in man coverage and as soon as he learns to play zone better he will quit making the mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 09:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There's lot's of good things happening on the field for us right now. The score just isn't one of them, and they are being overshadowed by the Oline problems. Lawson has turned into a gem, he has what... 5.5 sacs now?, Willis is playing good. Chris Smith is turning out to be an excellent pickup. Jackson is great in man coverage and as soon as he learns to play zone better he will quit making the mistakes.

Smith grades out as below average on PFF. He was great in camp though.

Lawson grades as above average. The #22 ranked Edge DE...which is great. When he gets more stout against the run that rating will go higher.

Jackson grades as above average. The #24 CB.

Willis grades as average. The #45 DE.

Not bad for the 3 youngsters and one would think that they'll only get better.

Billings grades as Below Average, but he was Poor so his rating is improving.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 10:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Smith grades out as below average on PFF. He was great in camp though.

Lawson grades as above average. The #22 ranked Edge DE...which is great. When he gets more stout against the run that rating will go higher.

Jackson grades as above average. The #24 CB.

Willis grades as average. The #45 DE.

Not bad for the 3 youngsters and one would think that they'll only get better.

Billings grades as Below Average, but he was Poor so his rating is improving.

I disagree with PFF's rating on Smith. From what I can see, he is pretty disruptive. I have been disappointed so far in Billings, but that is because the hype built up around him, which I warned about when people were saying cut Peko because we have Billings. I did like seeing him in one play last week where he had 3 guys trying to hold him back. If he can consistently eat up 2 or 3 guys, the ends ought to be able to make hay consistently.....
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I disagree with PFF's rating on Smith. From what I can see, he is pretty disruptive. I have been disappointed so far in Billings, but that is because the hype built up around him, which I warned about when people were saying cut Peko because we have Billings. I did like seeing him in one play last week where he had 3 guys trying to hold him back. If he can consistently eat up 2 or 3 guys, the ends ought to be able to make hay consistently.....

Yeah it's about building off of last week for him. Or he can revert back to being Poor.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2017, 09:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed...and we currently have 3 2nd Round RB's on the roster. 3!

That's the perfect round to grab a Center or a Guard. Usually the best Center in the draft is available early 2nd Round.

Yeah, we better grab a Center in the 2nd round this year man or i am gonna be pissed!
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 01:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I disagree with PFF's rating on Smith. From what I can see, he is pretty disruptive. I have been disappointed so far in Billings, but that is because the hype built up around him, which I warned about when people were saying cut Peko because we have Billings. I did like seeing him in one play last week where he had 3 guys trying to hold him back. If he can consistently eat up 2 or 3 guys, the ends ought to be able to make hay consistently.....

Billings has really only played two games now. (Jags, Titans) He did some good things vs thr Jags but he had a really nice game against the Titans. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 10:35 AM)ochocincos Wrote: He went in the 6th round. He was my late-round sleeper for C, but I'm sure you remember that since you brought him up.

I remember. Dominated at Wyoming he just has shorter arms and U-dub is a small school.

He has looked really good since taking over for Long in Washington from what i have seen.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2017, 02:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Billings has really only played two games now. (Jags, Titans) He did some good things vs thr Jags but he had a really nice game against the Titans. 

Man, being probably the biggest Billings fan on the board this is making me excited.

Knew it would take awhile coming off the ACL tear anyway. To see him coming around gives me hope for the future of
this Defense. Billings was a great run stopper in college and i saw him make a couple of those plays he was known for in
college against the Titans where he is doubled and still gets through.

This should really open up things for Geno if this continues.

Like i said when we drafted him, you cannot double them both. One of them will beat their man. Too strong when healthy.
Reply/Quote