Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free agency and post cut(released) players
You all realize that a player has to WANT to come here? Just because a player is available does not mean that he is going to sign with our team and that the Bengals cannot just magically make them sign here....You all are aware of this, right?

I bring this up because I see threads like...Player A is available and we should bring him in, he would fill a position for us or be a great back up....Well, maybe we contacted his agent and they said "thanks, but no thanks!!" Maybe our staff knows a bit more about our needs and some of the guys that we see as an upgrade are not in the professional eyes of our staff?

WHODEY!!
Reply/Quote
So you're basically saying that Maybe players don't want to come here...(and) Maybe our staff doesn't want to sign players.

Thanks for the insight! It covers all areas of why we don't add a guy.
Reply/Quote
Well it all depends. Younger players go through the whole waiver process thing. Vested veterans go straight to free agency.

So a little off. Pharoh and Perine had no option. Either play for us or retire.
Where as the LT the Browns cut Greg Robinson didnt have to go through waivers. We could have called and said we will give you double but that would be dumb.

We have to start winning in order to attract outside free agents. Because right now it doesnt look like we can get anybody who isnt somewhat familiar with the area. That is why i can somewhat understand the team not being big players in free agency. 1. The player has to want to come here. 2. Overpaying a guy to get them to come here is a recipe for a shitshow.

We are young. Hopefully these young guys keep gettijg better and make us a more desirable destination
Reply/Quote
Most players getting their first free agent contract will go anywhere for top money. That is why really bad teams sign a lot of big name free agents.

Older players who have already had one big pay day might be more choosey. They are the ones who might take less to win a ring.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 03:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So you're basically saying that Maybe players don't want to come here...(and) Maybe our staff doesn't want to sign players.

Thanks for the insight! It covers all areas of why we don't add a guy.

The Pistons knocking somebody for stating the obvious = lol.

"Hey guys, did you know the Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 28 years? I'm starting to doubt that Mike Brown guy..."
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 06:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: The Pistons knocking somebody for stating the obvious = lol.

"Hey guys, did you know the Bengals haven't won a playoff game in 28 years? I'm starting to doubt that Mike Brown guy..."

It's about time you realized that not winning a playoff game for 28+ years and keeping largely the same management team is a bad idea. You're making progress!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 11:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's about time you realized that not winning a playoff game for 28+ years and keeping largely the same management team is a bad idea. You're making progress!  Hilarious

Pretty sure most of use figured it out about 15 years before you did, but keep tooting that horn like you've come across some brave new insight that none of us plebians are on to. What's next? "Hey guys, I've dived into the numbers and have put a lot of thought into this... and I think I've figured out that water is wet. I must share it with everyone!"
Reply/Quote
Somehow I missed this thread but did a search because I was going to start a similar one. Thinking about how hard it was to hire a DC, talk around the locker rooms is probably that "you can't win in Cincinnati." Maybe the OP is right that players don't want to come here. The reason I feel this may be an issue is because it seemed MB (kinda, in mb fashion) turned a corner by getting rid of ML and bringing in ZT. So, if players don't want to come here, then the team was stuck extending contracts of players here that should have been let go. The amount of those contracts are questionable, but makes sense.

It's also very possible that even if MB is trying to turn over a new leaf, people are not going to believe him. Not fans or players or coaches. One thing ML had here was respect from those in the NFL. ZT has very little and MB kills any respect ZT has in his bank. It's a thought anyway because TBH, I'm trying hard to figure this whole thing out. Then there's the possibility he's stubborn and still refuses to get very active in FA where it cost's money. There's also the possibility he's so stuck in his old ways that he doesn't realize what he's doing will not work and that the NFL has changed.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 07:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Somehow I missed this thread but did a search because I was going to start a similar one. Thinking about how hard it was to hire a DC, talk around the locker rooms is probably that "you can't win in Cincinnati." Maybe the OP is right that players don't want to come here. The reason I feel this may be an issue is because it seemed MB (kinda, in mb fashion) turned a corner by getting rid of ML and bringing in ZT. So, if players don't want to come here, then the team was stuck extending contracts of players here that should have been let go. The amount of those contracts are questionable, but makes sense.

It's also very possible that even if MB is trying to turn over a new leaf, people are not going to believe him. Not fans or players or coaches. One thing ML had here was respect from those in the NFL. ZT has very little and MB kills any respect ZT has in his bank. It's a thought anyway because TBH, I'm trying hard to figure this whole thing out. Then there's the possibility he's stubborn and still refuses to get very active in FA where it cost's money. There's also the possibility he's so stuck in his old ways that he doesn't realize what he's doing will not work and that the NFL has changed.

That Florida Gator DC that turned down the Bengals sure looks like he knows what he is doing.  

Regarding Mike Brown, I think he would need to physically expire or totally retire to a nursing home for others to believe his influences have been negated.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Thought it would be a good time to review this one again!!

WHODEY!!
Reply/Quote
The inability to bring players to Cincinnati for a visit hurts also. When you are in a situation where you really have to sell the team only being able to talk to people on the phone is limiting

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 11:16 PM)pally Wrote: The inability to bring players to Cincinnati for a visit hurts also. When you are in a situation where you really have to sell the team only being able to talk to people on the phone is limiting

It isn’t limiting if you offer them the most money. Didn’t hurt Cleveland in their bid to get Conklin. Just the Bengals incompetent front office doing what they always do.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 11:21 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: It isn’t limiting if you offer them the most money.  Didn’t hurt Cleveland in their bid to get Conklin.  Just the Bengals incompetent front office doing what they always do.

Squeal Team Six on the job!

Cry "Why can't we be more like the Browns?  Gaah Remember that awersome winning season they had 13 years ago?  Theyn almost made the playoffs that year!"  Cry
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 12:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Squeal Team Six on the job!

Cry "Why can't we be more like the Browns?  Gaah Remember that awersome winning season they had 13 years ago?  Theyn almost made the playoffs that year!"  Cry

Good one Fred! Agreed!

It's not even the 1st day in FA and everyone has thrown in the damn towel?!

I am disappointed we didn't get one of these guys on O or D; but, we'll find out in the coming days if the Bengals tried for any of these first signees and got beat out by other teams.

In the mean time, I'm sure they will be signing some players starting tomorrow or Wednesday. There are more than 15 FA's out there folks. Over 100 by my last count....
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 12:47 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Squeal Team Six on the job!

Rep for Squeal Team Six...lol

Good stuff, Fred.

Reply/Quote
(09-04-2019, 02:24 PM)spazz70 Wrote: You all realize that a player has to WANT to come here?  Just because a player is available does not mean that he is going to sign with our team and that the Bengals cannot just magically make them sign here....You all are aware of this, right?

I bring this up because I see threads like...Player A is available and we should bring him in, he would fill a position for us or be a great back up....Well, maybe we contacted his agent and they said "thanks, but no thanks!!"  Maybe our staff knows a bit more about our needs and some of the guys that we see as an upgrade are not in the professional eyes of our staff?

WHODEY!!

Sadly, you are very correct. The stigma of Mike Brown is still with us. Taylor and his band of pals seem to have created a new level of stench and that hasn't helped either.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 12:51 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Sadly, you are very correct. The stigma of Mike Brown is still with us. Taylor and his band of pals seem to have created a new level of stench and that hasn't helped either.

Even if it isn't a "stench" it is an order of uncertainty.

Marvin was respected more by NFL players than Bengal fans.  Not saying he should still be our HC, but he did carry some credibility with potential free agents.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Even if it isn't a "stench" it is an order of uncertainty.

Marvin was respected more by NFL players than Bengal fans.  Not saying he should still be our HC, but he did carry some credibility with potential free agents.

Agreed.  I recall the hopeful mantra that Marvin was our pseudo-GM and maybe he'd stick around and be allowed to be our GM once we got the headset off of him.  Then we hired ZT and the hope was that he was going to be our "GM" of a HC.
Reply/Quote