Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Free agent tier list google doc and projected cap hits
(03-13-2022, 04:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Show me the post where someone says Joe needs 5 ELITE players on the Oline.

Multiple people here have claimed that we need to spend all our money on the O-line even if it means forsaking the weaknesses on defense.  I don't see how that would be necessary unless they are saying we have to sign 3 top level free agents.  So maybe they are saying just 4 instead of 5, but either way I disagree.  Obviously without Spain and Reiff we have to sign guys for the O-line.  But we have other holes we have to fill on the roster.

Burrow is going to hold onto the ball and get sacked a lot.  Guys like Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Russell Wilson have had All-pro seasons and gone to Super Bowls getting sacked about as often as Burrow did last year, and none of them were crippled by injuries from getting sacked.

We need to improve the O-line, but too many people are acting like it is the only position we have to address.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:05 PM)Nickslycat Wrote: You mean like all the the teams that stampeded to sign him last off season?  

I guess I’m dense because I don’t know what a sig bet is, but if it involves cash I’m in.

Sig bet means I control the signature at the bottom of your posts.

Cash is meaningless because I could never collect.

So you taking the bet?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Multiple people here have claimed that we need to spend all our money on the O-line even if it means forsaking the weaknesses on defense.  I don't see how that would be necessary unless they are saying we have to sign 3 top level free agents.  So maybe they are saying just 4 instead of 5, but either way I disagree.  Obviously without Spain and Reiff we have to sign guys for the O-line.  But we have other holes we have to fill on the roster.

Burrow is going to hold onto the ball and get sacked a lot.  Guys like Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, and Russell Wilson have had All-pro seasons and gone to Super Bowls getting sacked about as often as Burrow did last year, and none of them were crippled by injuries from getting sacked.

We need to improve the O-line, but too many people are acting like it is the only position we have to address.

I took that comment you are referencing as we would not be a good at DT, which is probably true no matter what we do with the oline.  We cannot pay both guys again.  

What is your number for starter salary regarding Spain?   

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 04:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: PFF ratings do not match up with starting in the NFL.

PFF has a lot of guys who did not start ranked higher than guys who did start.

How about a sig bet that Spain gets starer money in free agency?  NFL teams don't use PFF to determine who starts.

You really need to watch or listen to Locked on Bengals, or the Bengals talk podcast.  It really does.
I’m not going to argue the merits of pff with you, their rankings are unmatched.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: What is your number for starter salary regarding Spain?   

$3 million.

That is probably a little high because only 23 OGs had an average salary that high last year.

**EDIT**.  .  .  Can't believe I was thsi stupid.  I was thinking of 32 starting OGs.  In fact there are 64.  So $3million is WAY too high for a starter level OG.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sig bet means I control the signature at the bottom of your posts.

Cash is meaningless because I could never collect.

So you taking the bet?

What do I win?  I know my rep has went up 150 points since yesterday.
Bet.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:17 PM)Nickslycat Wrote: What do I win?  I know my rep has went up 150 points since yesterday.
Bet.

That probably has more to do with you then me though.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:17 PM)Nickslycat Wrote: What do I win?  I know my rep has went up 150 points since yesterday.
Bet.

Might want to double check that 3M number Fred is tossing out there, seems low.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Might want to double check that 3M number Fred is tossing out there, seems low.

Only if vet min., is 3mil.  Nobody will pay him above vet min.  
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:12 PM)Nickslycat Wrote: You really need to watch or listen to Locked on Bengals, or the Bengals talk podcast.  It really does.
I’m not going to argue the merits of pff with you, their rankings are unmatched.

All you need to do is look at PFFs free agent rankings/projection from last year to see what a joke they are to NFL teams.

They predicted Safety Anthony Harris, their #3 rated free agent, would get a 4 year $56 million contract.  Instead he got 1 yr $4 million.

Will Fuller was predicted to get 5 yr $88 million.  Instead he got 1 yr at $10.6.

Richard Sherman was predicted to get 2 yr $28 million.  Instead he got 1 yr $1.4 million.

Ju Ju Smith Schuster was predicted to get 4 yr $68 million.  Instead he got 1 yr $8 million.

And that is just looking at their top 15 prospects.  I am sure there are dozens of more examples of how different PFF grades players compared to NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:29 PM)Nickslycat Wrote: Only if vet min., is 3mil.  Nobody will pay him above vet min.  

So if Spain gets a contract for more than $3 million yearly average I get to control your signature for a month.

If he signs for less then you get to control mine.

If something crazy happens like he gets injured gets into legal trouble then the bet is off.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if Spain gets a contract for more than $3 million yearly average I get to control your signature for a month.

If he signs for less then you get to control mine.

If something crazy happens like he gets injured gets into legal trouble then the bet is off.

I think 3 is light Fred... you guys need to wait until all are signed and get a real number. Not every team pays their WR3 more than 4 starters on the their oline combined....

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 06:24 PM)casear2727 Wrote:  Not every team pays their WR3 more than 4 starters on the their oline combined....

Sorry, but what does this have to do with Spain's value in free agency?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 07:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry, but what does this have to do with Spain's value in free agency?

I stated that I think the 3M is light as to average starting guard, and used our team as a possible outlier as to why one may think that low price is valid.

Granted, thats just my opinion, 3M could be correct, I havent researched salaries yet and wont until FA is over.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 04:50 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Show me the post where someone says Joe needs 5 ELITE players on the Oline. Our Oline has been crappy and you know it. We have players with some of if not the worst PFF ratings among Olinemen.

We have to get better, much better. And nobody is saying Joe needs an Oline where he's never sacked again, get real. Just try and imagine what Joe could do without having a lookout block every other play.

Absolutely 

and not only that but the running game would improved greatly too which would come with a better O-line. Especially in the short yardage situations that are usually crucial plays in the game if you can not convert consistently. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2022, 07:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I stated that I think the 3M is light as to average starting guard, and used our team as a possible outlier as to why one may think that low price is valid.

Granted, thats just my opinion, 3M could be correct, I havent researched salaries yet and wont until FA is over.

Actually it looks like it was way too HIGH.  Only 23 of 64 starting OGs made $3 million last year.

I just cut my own throat.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 12:08 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it looks like it was way too HIGH.  Only 23 of 64 starting OGs made $3 million last year.

I just cut my own throat.

Crazy, the wage disparity from the top guys just to the starters is astounding.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Every player complains about getting tagged. That is no big deal.

But they always play under the tag.  They know they have zero leverage.

Not saying i expect it to happen just that its possible.

Often times you see them want to be traded or wont sign the tender etc.

Either way if he plays under the tag its likely his last season here
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:08 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQ0HjFVbu75BRiKq7WFMuB0gmKfa3XWS-Opa5tJji4-yETftjK8keiw3RSlQvtrKRs1kb37xehjQ-Ar/pubhtml

Shout out to the boys from the 'Locked On Bengals' podcast for making this.  Very helpful in visualizing what cap hits may look like with the current potential FA targets.

Thanks for posting this. V useful resource.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2022, 10:25 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: Based on this chart I could see the Bengals looking at something like this:

Cuts:

1) Trea Waynes 10.6
2) Trey Hopkins- 6
3) Samaje Perine 1.5
-total @18

Re-signs:

1) B.Allen-QB 1.5
2) K. Huber-P 2
3) C.Harris-LS 1.1
4) Tre Flowers- CB 1.5
5) M.Thomas-WR/ST- 1
6) S.Morgan- WR/ST 1
7) BJ Hill-DT 6.8
8) J.Bates-FS 13
9) CJ Uzomeh 6
-total @ 34

Outside FA's:

1-La'el Collins (Cowboys) RT- 10 via trade 4th rd pick.
2) Brian Allen (Rams) C 5
3) Sidney Jones (Seahawks) CB 4.3
4) Germain Ifedi (Bears) G/T 3
-total @ 22

Draft:

1) Zion Johnson-G (BC)
2) Coby Bryant-CB (Cincinnati)
3) Chris Hinton- DT (Michigan)
5) Nick Cross -S (Maryland)
6) Bo Melton -WR (Rutgers)
7) D'Vontae Price- RB (Fla. International)
7) Velus Jones WR/ST (Tennessee)

Great job. My thoughts: Did you leave any hold back money? Uzomah will want a couple of years at 6. They won’t cut Perine. He plays on all the special teams and his salary is meaningless. He also is the best blocker on third down. He’s also the strongest short yardage back. I think if they trade for Collins they won’t go for a FA guard. I think resign Spain instead. I do think they go for a center.
Reply/Quote