Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free agents to consider
https://blogredmachine.com/2019/11/16/cincinnati-reds-five-radar-free-agents-worth-consideration/6/

Get to getting us some help Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Money Ball Report : As Reds tied to Votto contract they don't have much Free Agent Money room.

So my hope is they can keep Castillo and Gray a while and Votto contract doesn't force losing them. Same goes with Suarez. Same goes with all the young outfielders of Aquino, Senzel, Ervin & Van Meter just brought up from minors. Disco also needed on the mound.

So I'm hoping most of team is brought back. Roark long gone and I look for Wood to be gone. Bauer probably back and so Castillo, Gray, Bauer, Disco as starters is good.

If Reds can get somebody on the cheap like they have over the years as they did Scooter. There are always these guys that fall through the cracks that come in and play well on the cheap. Then once their price tag goes back up, they are gone, but Reds did have them.

I think the pitching and young outfield is the team and Suarez. High priced Votto at first. Keep all the young outfielders in hopes some have a good 2020.

Then there is the bullpen. They have some talent to bring back. Reds may need more lefty help. Can always use a good lefty and key word is good. A bad lefty, heck, you might as well leave righty in the game.

As for Catcher, there are only a few real good catchers in the game today. Just go with Defense and try to hope some stud coming up in the minors at catcher. There are no Bench or Berra or anybody like that out there in baseball. Nothing wrong with Defense and bat the guy at bottom. Too bad Mesoraco got so injured, so early. Maybe somebody in minors coming. People forget Bench showed off his Defense before he grew into showing off his hitting. You want Defense at Catcher. You want Defense UP THE MIDDLE, Catcher, 2nd, Short, Center, or was Sparky wrong on that ? I don't think so.

RECAP : Bring most of the team back. Reds should avoid high priced free agents from other teams. We are NOT the deep pocket Yankees.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2019, 09:03 AM)kevin Wrote: Money Ball Report :   As Reds tied to Votto contract they don't have much Free Agent Money room.  

So my hope is they can keep Castillo and Gray a while and Votto contract doesn't force losing them.  Same goes with Suarez.  Same goes with all the young outfielders of Aquino, Senzel, Ervin & Van Meter just brought up from minors.   Disco also needed on the mound.  

So I'm hoping most of team is brought back.  Roark long gone and I look for Wood to be gone. Bauer probably back and so Castillo, Gray, Bauer, Disco as starters is good.

If Reds can get somebody on the cheap like they have over the years as they did Scooter.  There are always these guys that fall through the cracks that come in and play well on the cheap.  Then once their price tag goes back up, they are gone, but Reds did have them.

I think the pitching and young outfield is the team and Suarez.  High priced Votto at first.  Keep all the young outfielders in hopes some have a good 2020.  

Then there is the bullpen.  They have some talent to bring back.  Reds may need more lefty help.  Can always use a good lefty and key word is good.  A bad lefty, heck, you might as well leave righty in the game.  

As for Catcher, there are only a few real good catchers in the game today. Just go with Defense and try to hope some stud coming up in the minors at catcher.  There are no Bench or Berra or anybody like that out there in baseball.  Nothing wrong with Defense and bat the guy at bottom. Too bad Mesoraco got so injured, so early.  Maybe somebody in minors coming.  People forget Bench showed off his Defense before he grew into showing off his hitting.   You want Defense at Catcher.  You want Defense UP THE MIDDLE, Catcher, 2nd, Short, Center, or was Sparky wrong on that ?   I don't think so.

RECAP :  Bring most of the team back.   Reds should avoid high priced free agents from other teams.  We are NOT the deep pocket Yankees.
I have no idea where you get this stuff.

The Reds have little money tied up long term to anyone but Votto.  They only have about 80 mil tied up in payroll.  They've said they will spend more than last year, in which they had a 130 mil payroll.  

That leaves 50 million ish to spend.  You can get more than a couple of good players for that.  Long term deals are largely a thing of the past for anyone other than an elite player.  3 year, 15 million dollar signings are well within the Reds' spending grasp.  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2019, 07:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://blogredmachine.com/2019/11/16/cincinnati-reds-five-radar-free-agents-worth-consideration/6/

Get to getting us some help Cincinnati.

Rondon is the only one of those guys I would even consider.
Reply/Quote
Grandal off the market. 4 years $73 million to the White Sox.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 05:47 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Grandad off the market. 4 years $73 million to the White Sox.

I’m probably in the minority but I’m glad that the Reds didn’t sign him to that same deal. His last 2 years would probably be bad without a DH. You would have 86 million being spent for the last 2 years of Votto and Grandel. That could make for a horrific 2022 and 2023.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 08:13 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m probably in the minority but I’m glad that the Reds didn’t sign him to that same deal. His last 2 years would probably be bad without a DH. You would have 86 million being spent for the last 2 years of Votto and Grandel. That could make for a horrific 2022 and 2023.

I’m glad too, but because of Stephenson’s imminent arrival and if we spend big money on a FA, I’d like an OF bat or Didi at SS.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 08:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’m glad too, but because of Stephenson’s imminent arrival and if we spend big money on a FA, I’d like an OF bat or Didi at SS.

It will be interesting to see how things work out. They definitely need to find some more offense.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2019, 11:13 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It will be interesting to see how things work out. They definitely need to find some more offense.

They have to get a bat and not just some prospect or washed up guy that used to be the man. They need an in his prime slugger !

And they have to have bullpen help. An upper tier LH starter wouldn't hurt either. Like I've said many times before the window is so small for small market teams ! And I feel that window will be open over next couple seasons Votto or no Votto.

They screw around now how long will it be before the Yankees have Castillo ? The Dodgers have Aquino ? so on and so on.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 01:33 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They have to get a bat and not just some prospect or washed up guy that used to be the man. They need an in his prime slugger !

And they have to have bullpen help. An upper tier LH starter wouldn't hurt either. Like I've said many times before the window is so small for small market teams ! And I feel that window will be open over next couple seasons Votto or no Votto.

They screw around now how long will it be before the Yankees have Castillo ? The Dodgers have Aquino ? so on and so on.

I really don’t see how they will improve in leaps and bounds. Iglesias was better than Didi last year so that probably won’t be a drastic improvement in numbers. The OF free agents aren’t gonna be a ton better than Winker. A lot is gonna depend on rebound seasons offensively. Adding a couple of arms to the pen will help and won’t be too expensive. I’m of the opinion that picking up another very good starter is the way to go, someone more established than Mahle. Mahle would be a great plan B.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2019, 02:42 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I really don’t see how they will improve in leaps and bounds. Iglesias was better than Didi last year so that probably won’t be a drastic improvement in numbers. The OF free agents aren’t gonna be a ton better than Winker. A lot is gonna depend on rebound seasons offensively. Adding a couple of arms to the pen will help and won’t be too expensive. I’m of the opinion that picking up another very good starter is the way to go, someone more established than Mahle. Mahle would be a great plan B.

pitching is always what wins in the end, always !
Reply/Quote
Grandal would have been a nice fit. Missing out on him is a little disappointing. However, he did fall off a bit at the end of last year and is over 30. Barnhart isn't exactly awful, either, and his bat actually heated up as 2019 wore on. There are probably lots of teams that would like to have him.

IMO, this team's priority this offseason should always have been CF. They would need to acquire one via trade if a major upgrade was the target, as there are few on the market.

Bradley Jr. can't hit. Betts is a pipe dream and only has a year left on his deal. He'd cost a chunk in prospects and a fortune to re-sign. Like 30 mil per. No was this team does that after the Vottos deal.

My target would be Starling Marte. He's be a fine leadoff hitter. Not sure how much the bad blood between the Reds and Pirates would factor in, but I'd offer any one of India, Santillan, or Ledolo for him plus some lesser prospects. He'd give them a kind of player they haven't had in a long time.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see them pick up a solid hitting, gold glove talent 2nd baseman that can either hit for power or average or better yet both .. Right now 2nd is still a liability.. Some think that Senzel might be the answer, but I still have my doubts about him. I hope he proves me wrong. He's not the long term answer to CF.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 06:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'd like to see them pick up a solid hitting, gold glove talent 2nd baseman that can either hit for power or average or better yet both .. Right now 2nd is still a liability.. Some think that Senzel might be the answer, but I still have my doubts about him. I hope he proves me wrong. He's not the long term answer to CF.. 

Mike Moutsakas fits your description.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2019, 06:03 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'd like to see them pick up a solid hitting, gold glove talent 2nd baseman that can either hit for power or average or better yet both .. Right now 2nd is still a liability.. Some think that Senzel might be the answer, but I still have my doubts about him. I hope he proves me wrong. He's not the long term answer to CF.. 

I have doubts about Senzel in CF as well. He's a better fit at 2B.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I have doubts about Senzel in CF as well. He's a better fit at 2B.

The problem with replacing Senzel in CF is that there aren't many free agent CFs worst pursuing.  Another is that nobody seems sure when Senzel is going to return and be able to play second if you slot him there.  I wouldn't let moving him dictate who you sign.  Barring a trade, I don't see how the Reds replace him.  Unless they bring Siri up a bit early.....  

Another option is to sign the Japanese star CF that's been posted.  I can't spell his last name off the top of my head, but his nickname is Shogo. The Reds are the only team in MLB that has yet to sign a Japanese player.  Maybe it's time.  Usually guys like that want to play in bigger cities, but it's worth a try.
Reply/Quote
This article on ESPN.com suggests one blockbuster move for each team. They say the Reds, Cubs, and Astros make a 3 team trade in which the Reds get Kris Bryant from the Cubs and RHP Josh James from the Astros. Reds give up Amir Garrett to the Astros and Nick Lodolo and Tony Santillan to the Cubs.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28211999/one-blockbuster-move-all-30-mlb-teams
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote