Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
From Florida to California, dwindling insurance options
alright i'm hopping on this train.

GEICO just sent me my 6mo renewal and it is a increase of almost 15% (14.4). This is with me driving like maybe 5k miles a year. The last 6mo renewal was 10%. So i call them up and they are blaming the increase cost on the cost of insuring drivers in this state (Colorado). I could literally buy a whole new car for the insurance payments they want (350/month)....for one vehicle and no other drivers.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 04:28 PM)basballguy Wrote: alright i'm hopping on this train.

GEICO just sent me my 6mo renewal and it is a increase of almost 15% (14.4).  This is with me driving like maybe 5k miles a year.  The last 6mo renewal was 10%.  So i call them up and they are blaming the increase cost on the cost of insuring drivers in this state (Colorado).  I could literally buy a whole new car for the insurance payments they want (350/month)....for one vehicle and no other drivers.

I've changed a couple times in the last 5 years now.  Coming to realize it's a lot like the game you have to play with cable companies - they will quote you a below market rate to win your business, and then hit you with significant premium increases the following years because they know people don't check that closely (especially when they hook you on autopay for an additional discount).

The last two times I've done this has been like $700 annual savings each time - and I also only drive about 5000 miles per year.  No recent accidents or tickets, either.  Bundled home/auto/umbrella, so that's a total but it's mostly for auto.

It's a pain, but worth a few hours of work to switch (it doesn't even take that long).  IMO, the length of relationship doesn't mean squat - you never know what's going to happen when you finally have a large claim, other than they WILL try to deny/disqualify you.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 04:28 PM)basballguy Wrote: alright i'm hopping on this train.

GEICO just sent me my 6mo renewal and it is a increase of almost 15% (14.4).  This is with me driving like maybe 5k miles a year.  The last 6mo renewal was 10%.  So i call them up and they are blaming the increase cost on the cost of insuring drivers in this state (Colorado).  I could literally buy a whole new car for the insurance payments they want (350/month)....for one vehicle and no other drivers.

With any luck another massive tax cut for Warren Buffet will straighten this right up for us working stiffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2023, 04:46 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I've changed a couple times in the last 5 years now.  Coming to realize it's a lot like the game you have to play with cable companies - they will quote you a below market rate to win your business, and then hit you with significant premium increases the following years because they know people don't check that closely (especially when they hook you on autopay for an additional discount).

The last two times I've done this has been like $700 annual savings each time - and I also only drive about 5000 miles per year.  No recent accidents or tickets, either.  Bundled home/auto/umbrella, so that's a total but it's mostly for auto.

It's a pain, but worth a few hours of work to switch (it doesn't even take that long).  IMO, the length of relationship doesn't mean squat - you never know what's going to happen when you finally have a large claim, other than they WILL try to deny/disqualify you.

Yep...I haven't switched in at least 5 years now that I look...i just quoted with USAA and it's roughly 150/mo cheaper for the exact same coverage.  SMH

I'll switch this evening.  

Interestingly, I didn't have to put anything in....it's crazy how much information is shared now.  They told me what car I was driving and even pulled my coverage from GEICO and gave me a quote with the exact same coverage.  All without a keystroke from me.  

Also found this table on the internet:

Quote:Average Cost of Car Insurance by Company for Full Coverage

USAA
$1,412
Auto-Owners
$1,628
Geico
$1,716
Westfield
$1,759
Travelers
$1,852
State Farm
$1,959
Nationwide
$2,041
Erie
$2,144
Progressive
$2,157
American Family
$2,176
Farmers
$2,381
Safe Auto
$2,647
Allstate
$3,000
Mercury
$3,233

I kinda feel ashamed to be bitching now.  Why the hell would anyone be using Allstate if that if it's that damn high?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2023, 10:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Insurance has always been a scam.  But more than ever it's a scam where they can't make more money so screw you.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2023/0831/From-Florida-to-California-dwindling-insurance-options?icid=rss

True story, I lost a lot of my house (entire first floor) in Katrina. Insurance would not pay because the damage was from the government flawed levees, which exempted it from the “act of God” clause. $1500 from FEMA. 
Reply/Quote