Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
From grunge to new
This is what I've been up to for the past week or so. I made all new doors and drawers for a customer. The old stuff, kind of nasty was all MDF water logged and moldy. The new all cypress and birch plywood. Customer is happy as a pig in ...mud..

One door had to be remade this afternoon right as i was finishing up. I was going to trim it, but I cut it on the wrong side so I made an all new door in an hour or so..

17 doors, 5 drawers..and LOTs of trips back and forth to take measurements..

[Image: 20210522_120435-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210522_120442-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210530_190456-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210530_190507-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210530_190500-scaled.jpg]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nice work. However, seeing that MDF cabinet frame in the picture of the uppers, where it appears to have the paint chipped, gotten wet and looks like it's getting ready to delaminate, brought something to mind. Putting actual wood doors and drawers on MDF cabinets is much like putting a Mercedes Benz hood ornament and flashy wheels on a Chevy Chevette..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 10:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Nice work.  However, seeing that MDF cabinet frame in the picture of the uppers, where it appears to have the paint chipped, gotten wet and looks like it's getting ready to delaminate, brought something to mind.  Putting actual wood doors and drawers on MDF cabinets is much like putting a Mercedes Benz hood ornament and flashy wheels on a Chevy Chevette..

The face frame is plywood..It's still in half decent shape. It could use a new face frame, but their budget wasn't there for it.. It's delaminated in a few spots, but they want to sell the house ASAP anyway.. Still looks a whole lot better.. I might get the job from the buyers..Ya never know..
Nearly every house in the entire area is slapped together with the cheapest crap possible.. There's thousands like it around here.. I gave them a cut rate as it was..Everything for about $900.. Ordinarily new doors and FF's start at $45 per linear foot..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 10:21 PM)grampahol Wrote: The face frame is plywood..It's still in half decent shape. It could use a new face frame, but their budget wasn't there for it.. It's delaminated in a few spots, but they want to sell the house ASAP anyway.. Still looks a whole lot better.. I might get the job from the buyers..Ya never know..
Nearly every house in the entire area is slapped together with the cheapest crap possible.. There's thousands like it around here.. I gave them a cut rate as it was..Everything for about $900.. Ordinarily new doors and FF's start at $45 per linear foot..

Nice job, nonetheless.  Your doors and drawer fronts look to be well made.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
[Image: ff7976af20cdddcb5de11d7b8431b3c7.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Good job as usual.  You added WAY more than $900 in value to that kitchen.  Bad cabinets make the whole kitchen look shabby.

How cheap can you find a table router?  If you are going to start making a lot of drawers/doors it could make a world of difference.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2021, 09:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: This is what I've been up to for the past week or so. I made all new doors and drawers for a customer. The old stuff, kind of nasty was all MDF water logged and moldy. The new all cypress and birch plywood. Customer is happy as a pig in ...mud..

One door had to be remade this afternoon right as i was finishing up. I was going to trim it, but I cut it on the wrong side so I made an all new door in an hour or so..

17 doors, 5 drawers..and LOTs of trips back and forth to take measurements..

[Image: 20210522_120435-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210522_120442-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210530_190456-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210530_190507-scaled.jpg]
[Image: 20210530_190500-scaled.jpg]

Damn good work. ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2021, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Good job as usual.  You added WAY more than $900 in value to that kitchen.  Bad cabinets make the whole kitchen look shabby.

How cheap can you find a table router?  If you are going to start making a lot of drawers/doors it could make a world of difference.

Thanks, but I have a router table I seldom use. I suppose if I did a lot of coved and shaped corners i would use it more.. If i decide to start making larger doors I'd get a cast iron shaper table. I don't really have the room for it though.. These were all table saw cut..

Reply/Quote