Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frozen iguanas falling from trees
http://wsvn.com/news/local/its-so-cold-in-florida-iguanas-are-falling-from-trees/

Crazy stuff. They say to not touch them because they will bite once they warm up. They are everywhere.

You northerners and your snow.... try shoveling lizards lol

Quote:It’s so cold in Florida, iguanas are falling from trees

MIAMI (AP/WSVN) — It’s so cold in Florida that iguanas are falling from their perches in suburban trees.

The National Weather Service in Miami said temperatures dipped below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (5 degrees Celsius) early Thursday in parts of South Florida. That’s chilly enough to immobilize green iguanas common in Miami’s suburbs.

The cold-blooded reptiles go into a deep sleep when the temperature falls into the 40s (below 10 Celsius). Experts said their bodies basically shut off and they lose their grip on the tree.

But it isn’t sudden death: Experts said the reptiles perk up when the temperatures rises.

7News viewer Kay Pavkovich sent us a photo of an iguana lying belly-up on a dock in Plantation, saying it regained consciousness in the sun once the temperature rose.

Green iguanas are an exotic species in Florida known for eating through landscaping and digging burrows that undermine infrastructure.

They’re not the only reptiles stunned by this week’s cold snap: sea turtles also stiffen up when temperatures fall. Wildlife officials say the frigid animals may appear dead but often are still alive.
Reply/Quote
I wish I was in Tijuana, eating barbecued iguana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You southerners and fear of the falling sky.... lol. I will admit a falling iguana probly hurts if it lands on you
Reply/Quote
This lady is crazy.... capture wild frozen iguanas and bring them inside your home warm them up then keep them inside until it warms up because they aren’t indigenous. They are going to be fighting mad when they warm up and are inside your home

This is the perfect time for hopefully some of these to die off. They are a nuisance. Take some Burmese pythons while your at it please cold.

Reply/Quote
So if they are a nuisance, is it legal to walk around and spear them in the head with one of those trash picker upper sticks?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 10:01 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So if they are a nuisance, is it legal to walk around and spear them in the head with one of those trash picker upper sticks?

Yeah you can kill them. When they aren’t frozen they ar slippery as heck though. Also can get aggressive and with the bigger ones that’s a tough deal. Plus they get into swarms and one can send a person to be hospital a swarm could do a lot. Most don’t kill them because animal rights nuts will make a huge stink. But the reality is we should be killing these in large numbers.

We had a freeze but not enough to kill off mosquitos and some of these reptiles that don’t belong. They already have a hunting season for Burmese pythons sponsored by the state.

Hurricane Andrew really screwed south Florida because several big exotic pet dealers lost their stock to the wild and it’s been a mess since. Add that to the people who get tired of the exotic pets and release them instead of doing the right thing and killing them. Heck had a Burmese python in Orlando a few years back that tried to eat a baby in its crib.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 04:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah you can kill them.   When they aren’t frozen they ar slippery as heck though.  Also can get aggressive and with the bigger ones that’s a tough deal.  Plus they get into swarms and one can send a person to be hospital a swarm could do a lot.   

So your saying, when you mess with one, they form a gang and come raging through the village beating up people and sending them to the hospital? How come I've not heard about Lizard gangs until now? They could like wage battle against the Sons of Anarchy and stuff? Wow, that's some pretty nasty lizards. Must make you guys a little nervous during "bike Week" in Daytona? And what else sucks, if you kill the lizards, they are probably then revenged by a gang of Xenomorphs. 

Ohio's not that bad now that I think about it. 

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 04:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So your saying, when you mess with one, they form a gang and come raging through the village beating up people and sending them to the hospital? How come I've not heard about Lizard gangs until now? They could like wage battle against the Sons of Anarchy and stuff? Wow, that's some pretty nasty lizards. Must make you guys a little nervous during "bike Week" in Daytona? And what else sucks, if you kill the lizards, they are probably then revenged by a gang of Xenomorphs. 

Ohio's not that bad now that I think about it. 

They are very territorial. Your joke aside. They can do some damage.
Reply/Quote