Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frugal v cheap sh*t!
I grew up with cheap ass shit  called frugal that was supposed to save us all from the proverbial poor house...I suspect several of you also lived through the same mindset possibly wearing what we called "Bargain Barn Specials", cheap canvas and plastic shoes you wouldn't give to a barefoot kid in Bangladesh begging for scraps.. They not only made your feet and ankles ache, but they never lasted longer than a few weeks and you eventually were the laughing stock of school and so on.. 
Well, I still live with the very same cheap ass mindset here with the Mrs. in the form of milk..That's right...MILK!  She just insisted that I buy an entire gallon of the crap instead of a quart or even half gallon because we MIGHT save 40 cents a month of something neither of us drinks so she can freeze the rest that isn't used right away.. Forget that milk in this country is HEAVILY SUBSIDIZED and gallons sold WAY UNDER market value, not particularly good for us being we didn't evolve to drink cow milk.. We evolved to drink our own mothers milk.. I dare say none of our mother's are still breast feeding any of us at our ages.
It's not AS IF saving 50 cents per month (or longer) is going to pay off a mortgage or car or even a water bill or even a chewing gum bill for Christ Sake! It's just being cheap for the sake of being cheap and this shit drives me CRAZY!  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 07:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: I grew up with cheap ass shit  called frugal that was supposed to save us all from the proverbial poor house...I suspect several of you also lived through the same mindset possibly wearing what we called "Bargain Barn Specials", cheap canvas and plastic shoes you wouldn't give to a barefoot kid in Bangladesh begging for scraps.. They not only made your feet and ankles ache, but they never lasted longer than a few weeks and you eventually were the laughing stock of school and so on.. 
Well, I still live with the very same cheap ass mindset here with the Mrs. in the form of milk..That's right...MILK!  She just insisted that I buy an entire gallon of the crap instead of a quart or even half gallon because we MIGHT save 40 cents a month of something neither of us drinks so she can freeze the rest that isn't used right away.. Forget that milk in this country is HEAVILY SUBSIDIZED and gallons sold WAY UNDER market value, not particularly good for us being we didn't evolve to drink cow milk.. We evolved to drink our own mothers milk.. I dare say none of our mother's are still breast feeding any of us at our ages.
It's not AS IF saving 50 cents per month (or longer) is going to pay off a mortgage or car or even a water bill or even a chewing gum bill for Christ Sake! It's just being cheap for the sake of being cheap and this shit drives me CRAZY!  

I believe people in the forties and fifties were raised in a time when there were little or no safety net( welfare, food stamps, medicade) so saving for a rainy day was a necessity. When I was a kid the most expensive shoes were Chuck Taylors and they cost $12. I only got them when I got old enough to buy them myself. We live in different times now but I still would go back if I could.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2019, 07:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: I grew up with cheap ass shit  called frugal that was supposed to save us all from the proverbial poor house...I suspect several of you also lived through the same mindset possibly wearing what we called "Bargain Barn Specials", cheap canvas and plastic shoes you wouldn't give to a barefoot kid in Bangladesh begging for scraps.. They not only made your feet and ankles ache, but they never lasted longer than a few weeks and you eventually were the laughing stock of school and so on.. 

It could be worse, you could have a wife that wants more than you can afford....
Reply/Quote
There really is a fine line between being thrifty and being just cheap. Thrift doesn't bother me, but cheap? That's an entirely different story.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

I get onto my wife about buy the cheap cheap brands of food..

Ill pay the extra cents for the good stuff.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 06:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I get onto my wife about buy the cheap cheap brands of food..

Ill pay the extra cents for the good stuff.

We used to ship 50-100 gallon plastic bladders full of Heinz Ketchup to knock off brand packaging facilities. They would bottle, slap their name on it and Shazam, right to the store shelves. Also, I like to Dr up frozen pizzas and save-a-lot sells the best damn pizza sauce I’ve ever tried.

If you like peanuts and chips, they have a brand there called JJ Higgs that chip wise is about half the cost and damn good. The Higgs peanuts are better than any brand I’ve tried.

WTS, your mostly right. Most cheap stuff tastes like cheap stuff.

Reply/Quote
Where I draw the line is with toilet paper. It HAS to be double ply, why do they even continue to make single ply tp anymore? Does anyone honestly use that crap?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2019, 11:01 AM)sandwedge Wrote: It could be worse, you could have a wife that wants more than you can afford....
The wife said she wants to take the boys to Disney next year. Anyone want to adopt a slightly used family?

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 03:38 PM)Storer50 Wrote: The wife said she wants to take the boys to Disney next year. Anyone want to adopt a slightly used family?

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

I think I'm being dragged to Disney next year somehow and I don't have kids   or the universal studios not sure which all I know is I have to go to florida.
Reply/Quote