Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Back?
If we’re not going to utilize a damn TE, why not start playing with a full back to help Mixon out. I am a Mixon hater, always have been but he was getting around 5 yards a carry constantly putting us in manageable down and distance. This shotgun formation shit has got to stop. Please get him under center, do some PA roll outs etc. the playcalling is brutal. No creativity, no fire, just lethargic looking on offense. Where was Boyd or any WR in the second half. That last drive was maddening. We don’t take shots down the middle either. Always a contested sideline catch that needs yo be scrutinized. Why throw so many sideline passes? Keeping WR’s healthy? I dunno. The amount of low percentage pass catches on 3rd down drives me nuts. Along with the typical 4 yard pass when you need 10 for a first down. Just don’t get it. Why not use some of the D linemen or LBers as a lead blocker on offense from time to time. So far Irv Smith is a major downgrade from Hurst. Hated the move then and still hate it now. Common Zac get your head out your ass and get more creative in offense to get these studs the ball.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 07:26 PM)TKUHL Wrote: If we’re not going to utilize a damn TE, why not start playing with a full back to help Mixon out. I am a Mixon hater, always have been but he was getting around 5 yards a carry constantly putting us in manageable down and distance. This shotgun formation shit has got to stop. Please get him under center, do some PA roll outs etc. the playcalling is brutal. No creativity, no fire, just lethargic looking on offense. Where was Boyd or any WR in the second half. That last drive was maddening. We don’t take shots down the middle either. Always a contested sideline catch that needs yo be scrutinized. Why throw so many sideline passes? Keeping WR’s healthy? I dunno. The amount of low percentage pass catches on 3rd down drives me nuts. Along with the typical 4 yard pass when you need 10 for a first down. Just don’t get it. Why not use some of the D linemen or LBers as a lead blocker on offense from time to time. So far Irv Smith is a major downgrade from Hurst. Hated the move then and still hate it now. Common Zac get your head out your ass and get more creative in offense to get these studs the ball.

This isn't 2010.

Maybe all of you curmudgeons should evolve with the game and not try to do things like they were 30 years ago; Shanahan uses a FB because he runs an evolution of his father's offense, not because, "that's the way to do it."

This isn't Madden where you just insert a player (or in this case, a position) and all of a sudden the ills will go away.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
We actually used Sample as a FB effectively early in the season then just stopped. As to why we are allergic to the middle of the field in the intermediate zone I don't know. It also goes under why we use slants so rarely, why our play calling is so predictable and more.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 07:29 PM)Joelist Wrote: We actually used Sample as a FB effectively early in the season then just stopped. As to why we are allergic to the middle of the field in the intermediate zone I don't know. It also goes under why we use slants so rarely, why our play calling is so predictable and more.

I can promise you, JL, that if Sample lined up at FB this year, it was MAYBE 7 times.

And I'll take the under on that
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 07:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I can promise you, JL, that if Sample lined up at FB this year, it was MAYBE 7 times.

You would be correct. Sample has lined up at FB three times this season. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 07:26 PM)TKUHL Wrote: If we’re not going to utilize a damn TE, why not start playing with a full back to help Mixon out. I am a Mixon hater, always have been but he was getting around 5 yards a carry constantly putting us in manageable down and distance. This shotgun formation shit has got to stop. Please get him under center, do some PA roll outs etc. the playcalling is brutal. No creativity, no fire, just lethargic looking on offense. Where was Boyd or any WR in the second half. That last drive was maddening. We don’t take shots down the middle either. Always a contested sideline catch that needs yo be scrutinized. Why throw so many sideline passes? Keeping WR’s healthy? I dunno. The amount of low percentage pass catches on 3rd down drives me nuts. Along with the typical 4 yard pass when you need 10 for a first down. Just don’t get it. Why not use some of the D linemen or LBers as a lead blocker on offense from time to time. So far Irv Smith is a major downgrade from Hurst. Hated the move then and still hate it now. Common Zac get your head out your ass and get more creative in offense to get these studs the ball.
Burrow strength is not at rpos and play fake under center , maybe it is time  for ZT to do something different and take offense more. 
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 07:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I can promise you, JL, that if Sample lined up at FB this year, it was MAYBE 7 times.

Oh I know that. I was just responding that we did see a couple of FB plays but then they stopped. I guess they do not like that concept in the offense. 
Reply/Quote
It may help

But with that said the run game hasn’t really been an issue lately

Seems like we’re good for 4 yards a carry now

Don’t have those stats but it’s seemed our 1st down efficiency has been amazing on the ground
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:01 PM)Housh Wrote: It may help

Don’t have those stats but it’s seemed our 1st down efficiency has been amazing on the ground

Which really begs the question of why short yard situations are like climbing Mount Everest right now.
Reply/Quote
They should bench Irv and let Hudson have some more snaps. I’ll take 6’5 if nothing else.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:01 PM)Housh Wrote: It may help

Second down has been our best down so far this season. Here is our YPC by down with the relative ranking in parentheses...
  • First - 3.83 (23rd)
  • Second - 4.45 (14th)
  • Third - 2 (32nd)
  • Fourth - 1.33 (23rd)
Overall, Cincinnati is averaging 3.76 yards on designed runs, which is good for 24th. 
Reply/Quote
Don't need a fullback, but for the love of Roman Gods stop trying to get a crucial yard or two on 3rd down from the shotgun 6 yards back.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:09 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Second down has been our best down so far this season. Here is our YPC by down with the relative ranking in parentheses...
  • First - 3.83 (23rd)
  • Second - 4.45 (14th)
  • Third - 2 (32nd)
  • Fourth - 1.33 (23rd)
Overall, Cincinnati is averaging 3.76 yards on designed runs, which is good for 24th. 

But for some reason on second and 4-6 they go empty backfield.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:15 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Don't need a fullback, but for the love of Roman Gods stop trying to get a crucial yard or two on 3rd down from the shotgun 6 yards back.

They failed from under center in the second half today. It doesn’t matter where they are lined up, they can’t run on crucial downs.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: They failed from under center in the second half today. It doesn’t matter where they are lined up, they can’t run on crucial downs.

It’s the blocking scheme. JoeList explains the issue far better than I do.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:39 PM)Au165 Wrote: They failed from under center in the second half today. It doesn’t matter where they are lined up, they can’t run on crucial downs.

I guess I have an underlying issue of them running 99% of their plays from shotgun with their personnel. But I get it why they do.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They should bench Irv and let Hudson have some more snaps. I’ll take 6’5 if nothing else.

Wish we would have taken a flier on Kuntz the rookie TE that was cut. Not sure if he’s still out there. Dude is just as much a freak of nature as the TE Pitt drafted.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:54 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Wish we would have taken a flier on Kuntz the rookie TE that was cut. Not sure if he’s still out there. Dude is just as much a freak of nature as the TE Pitt drafted.

Agree that Irv Smith has to be benched or cut. We miss Hurst. Let’s give Hudson more reps. Smith has stone hands, can’t block and is injury prone. Hard for Joe to go over the middle without an average TE.

Think we should trade WR to Atlanta for TE Pitts?
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 08:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I guess I have an underlying issue of them running 99% of their plays from shotgun with their personnel. But I get it why they do.

Jets ran under center on 2nd down today, got whatever yards and was 3rd and 1.

On 3rd and 1, they ran from Shotgun and got the 1st down.

Execution is key.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2023, 10:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Jets ran under center on 2nd down today, got whatever yards and was 3rd and 1.

On 3rd and 1, they ran from Shotgun and got the 1st down.

Execution is key.

This team just doesn’t know how/isn’t able to run on obvious down and distance
Reply/Quote